Page 1 of 5 
Username Post: I do NOT get Glimmer Mist        (Topic#1552587)
Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

Ok, so for the card challenge this month one of the card ideas suggested is to use Glimmer Mist on some portion of the card. That's fine, awesome. I love that challenge.

My problem is with Glimmer Mist itself...I don't get it. I went to my scrapbook store yesterday and first of all the $7 a bottle was off putting, but beyond that...what does it do?! They have examples of it and it looks like vaguely washed out spray dye that has SOME bit of shimmer to it. Is this correct? I feel like I'm missing something! lol

(BTW...no offense to those of you who love it. I'm not against it...I have never used it thus, I don't get it. LOL)

boysmom
Pro
boysmom
In response to Penny Lane

I don't get it either, but plenty of people love it.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6

I didn't either until I tried it. I love the look, but only own 2 bottles of the 'real' stuff....but I still don't use it on EVERYTHING. I used a recipe Holly gave me and have made my own with amazing results. I posted it for you to try in the other thread where you first mentioned having to get some for the challenge. Did you see it? The last thing I used it on was this LO, on the flourish and word 'family'. and that's my homemade version, and about 3 coats.

Family By ScrappyMama6

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to ScrappyMama6

Yeah. I am going to try your recipe because...I cannot bring myself to spend that much. AND I TRIED! LOL I carried a bottle around the store for an hour and had arguments inside my head. My husband even laughed at me for not just getting it. I don't care...LOL I'm way too cheap!

So I will try to make my own I think...just have to hit the dollar store.

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane

Maybe the samples at the store were worn and faded?

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat

Some of the colors go on really light, for those ones I just keep spraying until it's the shade I want. The new chalkboards are supposed to be more saturated so maybe when those come out you could try one and see if you like the look better

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I have some,,,,I made some,,,,,,I rarely use them.

Just,,,,,

what's the big deal? I like gold on brown, occasionally,,,,,,,

but other than that,,,

you're not alone

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to CommaHolly

Everyone is different...I love it.

My fav is spraying white flowers to change them to the colour I want or need.

My fav colours are Marshmellow to give paper a frosty look and Cranberry Zing for the flowers.

It's just personal taste. Just like I don't understand Mini albums, or the distressed look.

lisymarie
Expert
lisymarie
In response to PhotobearSam

It's fine for you if that's what you like, but I have no interest in it at this point.

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to lisymarie

I love it to add an accent color, change the color, add a soft bling, mask--use it on flowers, chipboard, cardstock, even pics. I try to buy it on sale, and it does last a long time--related, I was not nearly so pleased with spritz sprays--they did not last nearly long enough for the cost.

Here's a lo where I masked lace cs, so it looks like 2 papers but is only 1. But, as someone else said,--to each, her own!

G'pa's Ring By Scrapperbee

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to scrapperbee

I hope no one thinks I'm trying to insult their taste...I really am asking what people do with it, of if the sample I saw in the store sounds wrong.

Thank you for these samples btw, these are nice looking and I can see how it adds some interest.

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap

I don't get it either, but then again, I've not used any either. I'm too cheap to spend the money for it, too! But, I have seen a couple of recipes for "make your own" stuff that I might give a try. I might have a different outlook on it if I'd try some. But then, I said that about stickles too and still didn't get it after I tried them. But, that's okay, we don't all have to like all the exact same things, right? I figured that'll just save more stickles and glimmer spray for those who do love them. For those who don't like distress inks, then I can take up the slack there for ya...:)

StarsNSparkles
Queen
StarsNSparkles

If anyone is offended by what you have said Penny...then they have a serious problem, b/c you haven't said anything wrong at all!!!

I, personally, love glimmer mist...I have lots and lots of bottles. I've always bought mine online and I've never paid more than $5 for a bottle of it. The chalkboard does have a more intense color to it.

I use it to spray paper, spray masks, spray flowers (love it for flowers), to spray lace, to spray inked chipboard, to spray, to spray, to spray.

Having said that...I still have not embraced the splotch, which is my only complaint...b/c I just don't like splotches, but I must contend with them to use my glimmer mist.

The more you spray, (like in more layers) the more shimmer you will get.

What I don't like is the perfect pearl mists...I bought all of them...have used several and I'm just not happy with the look.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to GaMtnScrap

Have black and silver, rarely use them. I don't hate, it's just not what I grab first.

Expert
In response to Msceejay2000

I like it and really like to see what other people can do with it, but I don't seem to use much of it myself. I did use a fair amount of it in a winter album I made last year, but on a regular basis I tend to forget about it.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to HuskerMom98

I don't use my glimmer mist a WHOLE lot, but I use it usually on the inside of my cards that are white in order to give them a little "background." Since it buckles the paper a little, I've not really branched out into using it on LOs because I can't figure out how I'd stick a 12x12 into a book to flatten it!

convintojm
Resident
convintojm
In response to meezerpleaser

I bought one bottle after hearing so many good reviews. I rarely use it. It warps the paper and I have heard of ways to counteract that but I find it to be a lot of work for the effect.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 02-05-11 07:45 PM
In response to convintojm

I got my first Glimmer Mist at Christmas and I love it. I have since purchased two more bottles. I ordered mine online and I think I paid $5 for each bottle. I'm cheap too but I think they were worth the $5. They seem like they will last quite a while too. I've used one of the colors on several LOs and it looks like it has barely been used. Basically I've used them to create shimmer on the background so I know there are many other techniques that I haven't discovered yet. I did use the Coffee Shop color on the background of a LO about DS racing his dirtbike. It turned out awesome...looked like dirt!

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to LeeLo

Don't get it either! I'm too cheap too. I don't buy Stickles either for the same reason, I don't get it and I'm too cheap.

olleharr
Mayor
olleharr
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

I invested in a couple bottles but I haven't been able to catch the mist fever either. Used it a few times, turned out ok but I wasn't overly thrilled. I'm thinking I need to play around with it more, maybe it will grow on me.

Page 1 of 5 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics