Username Post: Office supplies in layouts        (Topic#1552777)
whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon

Hi everyone!
I'm going to start a blog hop devoted to creative and unusual use of office supplies (paper clips, staples, rubber bands, pen rechargers etc.. if it's necessary I can post a list of things I mean)
This topic stirs up my mind and doesn't let me sleep well
There're actually so many opportunities to look at familiar things at a new angle, find an awesome idea to use a paper clip or plastic envelope...

So, the question is: does anyone want to join? Or does anyone have exmaples or ideas to share?
That's gonna be fun! If I find some volunteers who want to make projects with office supplies but don't know how, I can share my own ideas.
What do you say? =)

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to whiteracoon

This question has come up quite often (probably every 2 weeks). Attached are links to other threads on the sampe subject. Looking for inexpensive alternatives to save money on scrapbooking materials, going green/recycling, reusing materials instead of throwing them out, from a creative point of view, using interesting non-traditional materials in scrapbooking....

Maybe if you word your question "What usual item have you used recently?" you will get more responses.

and... While I am all for using "found" objects on pages there is the whole "acid free" thing to consider. Sure it's fun to save money using "office supplies". Not so fun a few years later when they fade, fall off in a big gooey mess, or stain your page.

But I would like to add something new on this subject...

I recently used Troll Hair on a layout! I hope that counts....

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I'm afraid you got me wrong.
I am NOT talking about saving, scrap-fasting or replacing the special supplies with cheaper ones. What you're talking about is a simple substitution, like "use note paper instead of scrapbook paper". That's NOT what I'm talking about.
It's not about saving. You may use special staples and paper clips, bought at scrapshops if you like, the type of supplies is what matters.
I can see people using staples and paper clips as... staples and paper clips. What do you usually use staples for? For binding things together, right? That's boring, that's usual and that's not original.
I was hoping to find some scrappers who are inventive enough to think of some SPECIAL way of using those things.

For example: pretty easy, but it illustrates my idea - make a heart out of a paper clip - that will be an embellishment. Staple letters to create a title - you don't see that every day. Use glue for drawing circles on the water. Use rubber bands as photo corners. Use the end of a pen refill as a circle embossing tool...
Etc. I wanted to inspire people to look at familiar objects like at something new and unusual..

The LO you showed is pretty cool, btw =) Love the hair, it looks great =)))

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW

Having gone through old files at work I can tell you staples and paper clips do rust. As much as I like the look of them I stay away from these completely because I don't want rust in my albums.

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to CorrieW

But there're plastic-covered clips for instance, they don't leave rusty traces...
And... uhmm... how about the following products? Do they rust too?

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains

How about cork board?

Paper Girl By Scrap4brains

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to scrap4brains

Marlene, thanks for suggestion! Cute LO! What a good dog! =)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CorrieW

• CorrieW Said:
Having gone through old files at work I can tell you staples and paper clips do rust. As much as I like the look of them I stay away from these completely because I don't want rust in my albums.

I was going to say the EXACT same thing.

And, it doesn't take THAT long either. I have files 8-10 years old with rusty paperclips and staples.

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:

And, it doesn't take THAT long either. I have files 8-10 years old with rusty paperclips and staples.

Thanks for your response.
Would be great if you paid attention to my reply to CorrieW and could answer the question too =)

CountrynCrafty
Veteran
CountrynCrafty

• whiteracoon Said:
I am NOT talking about saving, scrap-fasting or replacing the special supplies with cheaper ones. What you're talking about is a simple substitution, like "use note paper instead of scrapbook paper". That's NOT what I'm talking about.
It's not about saving. You may use special staples and paper clips, bought at scrapshops if you like, the type of supplies is what matters.
I can see people using staples and paper clips as... staples and paper clips. What do you usually use staples for? For binding things together, right? That's boring, that's usual and that's not original.
I was hoping to find some scrappers who are inventive enough to think of some SPECIAL way of using those things.

For example: pretty easy, but it illustrates my idea - make a heart out of a paper clip - that will be an embellishment. Staple letters to create a title - you don't see that every day. Use glue for drawing circles on the water. Use rubber bands as photo corners. Use the end of a pen refill as a circle embossing tool...
Etc. I wanted to inspire people to look at familiar objects like at something new and unusual..

So I was thinking: What about those little sticky note pads? I have considered folding (or cutting) them into stars or other shapes and putting them on a page...also I use pencils a LOT (college student :P) so maybe doing something w/the shavings (though it's technically not an office supply) like if your doing a page that needs hay (think hayrides) that might be an interesting way to use the shavings. Ummm...cutting pix out of old calendars and making a collage as a background on a LO...any of these ideas what you mean?

whiteracoon
Expert
whiteracoon
In response to CountrynCrafty

• CountrynCrafty Said:
So I was thinking: What about those little sticky note pads? I have considered folding (or cutting) them into stars or other shapes and putting them on a page...also I use pencils a LOT (college student :P) so maybe doing something w/the shavings (though it's technically not an office supply) like if your doing a page that needs hay (think hayrides) that might be an interesting way to use the shavings. Ummm...cutting pix out of old calendars and making a collage as a background on a LO...any of these ideas what you mean?

Yes! Yes! You got me right =) Your idea with pencil shavings made me smile =) Love it =) Would you like to join the blog hop? (send me a PM, please, if you do!)

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23

• whiteracoon Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

Would be great if you paid attention to my reply to CorrieW and could answer the question too =)

You weren't clear in your OP. It took me rereading your post multiple times out loud before I think I understand what you're looking for. Sometimes people don't read the entire thread, OR if it's something that's a hot topic, people are posting the same answer at the same time. Would be great if you were more clear in the OP about what you are looking for.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

• whiteracoon Said:
  • Bxr-Linda Said:

Well, I saw your question. I didn't address it, because I don't have an answer.

Your original post is about OFFICE supplies. The only paperclips and staples I have experience with are the office supply-type. I don't know if the ones marketed for scrapbooking are different.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I understood what you were asking (unusual uses for these things). I think my response is I don't have any ideas, because I would NOT use staples and paperclips in my scrapbooks, because they rust!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

• whiteracoon Said:

If you look at the link you will see dozens of threads that are jammed back with suggestions on interesting items to use and interesting ways to use them.

My post is to let you know that this topic comes up A LOT and you may not get a lot of responses.
I hate to say it but this topic is almost "beat to death" in every which way you want to word it.

Good luck on your quest but if you are looking for some quick ideas browse through those previous threads.

PS in case you didn't actually open the link... it contains links to these threads...
-Repurposing Ideas
-Inexpensive ways to decorate pages
-Post items not intended for scrapbooking
-What is the most unusual thing you've ever used on a LO?
-What is the strangest item you ever scrapped
-Unique things scrapped
-What's the weirdest item you have used on a layout?
-Most interesting thing you have ever used as an embellishment
-weird and wacky things we use in our scrapbooks
-Wacky Weird
-What non traditional scrapbook items do you use on a LO?
-What's the weirdest/strangest layout you have ever done?
-Using found items on pages
-Using Recycled Materials
and more

Resident

When my grandson was visiting ( he was maybe 2 months old) we laid him on my grandmothers bed to rest and her window was open, he scooted closer to the window to get closer to the cool breeze and fell asleep. I took his pic and on my LO I made a "valance" out of chipboard, "Curtains" out of Tulle (Sp?) attached the valance with brads to the paper and under the valance put the top of the curtains, as the curtains flowed down the page I made some tie back with paper and brad to pull open the curtain to see the baby sleeping.

Is that what you are looking for??

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
  • whiteracoon Said:

If you look at the link you will see dozens of threads that are jammed back with suggestions on interesting items to use and interesting ways to use them.

My post is to let you know that this topic comes up A LOT and you may not get a lot of responses.
I hate to say it but this topic is almost "beat to death" in every which way you want to word it.

Good luck on your quest but if you are looking for some quick ideas browse through those previous threads.

PS in case you didn't actually open the link... it contains links to these threads...
-Repurposing Ideas
-Inexpensive ways to decorate pages
-Post items not intended for scrapbooking
-What is the most unusual thing you've ever used on a LO?
-What is the strangest item you ever scrapped
-Unique things scrapped
-What's the weirdest item you have used on a layout?
-Most interesting thing you have ever used as an embellishment
-weird and wacky things we use in our scrapbooks
-Wacky Weird
-What non traditional scrapbook items do you use on a LO?
-What's the weirdest/strangest layout you have ever done?
-Using found items on pages
-Using Recycled Materials
and more

The links are actually incredibly kind of you, Gelidy. It takes time to search and find them and compiling them in this way was very neighborly =)

WhiteRacoon, I hope you find what you're looking for.

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee
In response to Babys Got Blue Eyes

Paper clips don't rust when painted with clear nail polish... just for information sake if someone wants to use them.

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to jessielee

I think that plastic coated paper clips would be fine but I wouldn't trust any kind of metal paper clips/staples even if they are made for scrapbooking. I saw on a manufacturers web page that their embelishments are not acid free and they said it was pretty standard in the industry (Kaisercraft). I saw the copper paper clips rusting after about 3 yrs in the files I was looking at. Love the look but I don't trust them especially staples because the stapler it self will likely remove any coating they might have had. I'm not saying don't use them but if you are worried about them rusting then try something else.

Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
Diva
Luv.My.Babiez-Natasha
In response to CorrieW

Hi there! I think your idea is fantastic and there are so many ways to incorporate these items into scrapbook pages and be archival safe at the same time. I think many people have overlooked or misunderstood your idea and there are TONS of ACID-FREE products that can be used. Wishing you the best with the blog hop... I wish some people wouldn't be so harsh. *Hugs

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics