Page 1 of 4 
Username Post: A "How to search the forum" tutorial        (Topic#1553057)
amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss

And before anyone snarks- no, this isn't to tell people not to post questions. It is just a quick tutorial on how to do a search using the advanced search button.

First, click on advanced search.

how to search the forum tutorial By Amandahugandkiss

Next, choose your options. Make it as specific as possible. Say I want to find a thread about glitter, but I don't want to learn about stickles. I want other glitter. So I selected "General Scrapbooking" under forums, and under keyword I typed Glitter -stickles. This is a boolean seach function (more on boolean below).

To narrow my search further, I chose to seach only thread titles, not entire threads.

Now suppose I wanted to just know about Distress Stickles. Since that is pretty specific, I am going to expand my search perameters. In this search I am going to search ALL the forums and I am going to search the bodies of the threads, not just the titles. Note the quotation marks around "distress stickles".

Now a note on Boolean searching.

To search for a 2 or 3 word topic, you will need to put it in quote marks. "Distress stickles" will bring up information on distress stickles; Distress stickles will bring up info on Distress techniques AND stickles.

To narrow your search use the minus sign (-). To search for adhesive, but not Tombow adhesive, type adhesive -tombow.

To broaden your search, use the plus sign (+). To search for both stickles and glitter, type stickles +glitter.

Thanks for reading!

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to amandahugandkiss

No hand slap intended from me, since I love to learn things. However, even with these hints, the search feature here is not great. I really don't like that it won't go back further than seven pages. At least, I've hit that snag several times. I haven't complained because I think it's awesome that sb.com gives us a free forum like this, and because I've seen so many complaints from others already. I know the sb.com team tries their best to make this the best spot it can be, so I've just dealt with this little inconvenience!

Love 2 Learn
Guru
Love 2 Learn
In response to siameseplease

• siameseplease Said:
No hand slap intended from me, since I love to learn things. However, even with these hints, the search feature here is not great. I really don't like that it won't go back further than seven pages. At least, I've hit that snag several times. I haven't complained because I think it's awesome that sb.com gives us a free forum like this, and because I've seen so many complaints from others already. I know the sb.com team tries their best to make this the best spot it can be, so I've just dealt with this little inconvenience!

I agree!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Love 2 Learn

I agree too!!

Amanda, a lot of those tips I did not know! Thanks!! I will use them for sure. BUT, it shouldn't be so difficult to do a simple search here. *I am talking to you, sb.com.*

Penny Lane
Diva
Penny Lane
In response to Manda_K

No snark here...this is a very helpful thread!

Walmart also has a TERRIBLE search feature. Not sure why...maybe because it's Walmart. LOL

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Penny Lane

wow! thanks for the info on the advanced search.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Just G

Thanks Amanda, the boolean search always confused me, but you made it make sense

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

Awesome. I've always wondered about boolean. I never exactly knew what that was.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Luvmyfam

thanks for the info Amanda ... I'm putting this thread into my faves

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to madmatter

You are all welcome.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Awesome Amanda!

I would also suggest, in the advanced search, under the "Result Format" box, select "show topics the search terms were in" rather than "show each post."

What this does, is narrows the search to threads and not individual posts. (Hopefully that makes some sense.) In Amanda's example, the thread titled "Stickles vs. Generic" shows up several times, unless you chose to show topic.

HAPPY HUNTING!!!

scrappin 2
Governor
scrappin 2
In response to Bxr-Linda

Thanks I printed the instructions. Only I forgot I had a piece of cardstock in the tray. so I ruined a perfectly good piece of cardstock because plain computer paper would have been fine. Got to laugh.

firenice86
Resident
firenice86
In response to scrappin 2

This is great. I've tired to search for things that I KNOW are on here somewhere and just can't find them. This will help in the future I'm sure

CarrieBH
Veteran
CarrieBH
In response to firenice86

I could have used this the other day, lol!

Now the question is: how to find this tutorial for using the search feature when I need to use it?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to CarrieBH

At the bottom of this page under Topic Options, click add to favorite topics. Then you can go to your favorite topics in your profile and always find it!

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to Bxr-Linda

I'm bumping this thread the the top because some people need to read it.

justowen
Governor
justowen

This is VERY helpful!! I didn't know 90% of that.

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to justowen

Oh, I meant ...Thanks!!! (got excited and forgot my manners)

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to justowen

You are very welcome Jenny.

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4

Thanks for this....saw it, then lost it as it moved down the board...so now I have copied and pasted the original post into a Word doc and saved it. That way I won't have trouble "searching" for it later.

Page 1 of 4 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics