Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Figures..... What you want or what you'd really use?        (Topic#1553677)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

I'm pouty. I'm also funny because this is soooo not a bigger picture kind of thing.

Healthy tax returns are heading our way. In fact, State just dropped into our bank this morning. Both DH and I have been feeling spendy toward our hobbies; he's already invested in some really cool mixtures to make his own paint washes (he calls them "inks") and wants a new air compressor for his air-brushing tool.

That doesn't bother me, since he's so good at his painting that he's sold off many of his own creations. However, this means I get my fair chance to spend, too.....

And I can't decide which way to go!

Do I make myself focus on tools and materials I know I'll use often (inks, mists, paints, blank materials, etc)

Do I cave to collect a lot of pretty paper and embellishments which I might fall out of love with two weeks after I have them in my hands? -- and if so, do I go girly because it's soooooo pretty but otherwise not in line with my life OR do I focus on what I'd use to craft about my young son?

Retail therapy should not be this challenging? What would you do?

YesterdaysEcho
Idol
YesterdaysEcho
In response to MommaSaid

Lol... I think I'd decide to get things I know I'll get a lot of use out of. And then see something shiny! So I'd end up doing some of both. Hence the texture boutique AND the full line of clearanced stuff I recently got.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to YesterdaysEcho

Sounds like you chose well!

Since I'm so flippant, I'm currently debating a purchase that will allow me to make mini albums for my two mothers-in-law AND my mother so they can show off their grand kids. That could be fun and useful.

Tina scraps
Governor
Tina scraps
In response to MommaSaid

does it have to be "either or"? how about a few tools, and some pretty paper/embellies?

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MommaSaid

I would buy shoes.

But, I would get tools and inks moreso than paper.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to Tina scraps

Lately, I've lost my groove so pretty paper sits. Other than taking the time to evaluate my inks, I really don't know if there's a new tool that would get used.

In this moment, this is what I'm considering:

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Manda_K

I would get what I need but reserve some for pretty papers that I already had ideas for

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to MommaSaid

I haven't bought a new pair of shoes in...four years? Do stores still sell those? What about purses? Do they sell purses? Rings? Sparkly things?

Inks do get used very often.

Related question: How long do you (all) find your inks last with regular use?

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Manda_K

I would buy any tools/basics I think I need and then spend the rest on pretties

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I've had the same inks for about 3 years, I use them, but they go a long way. You can add rubbing alcohol to stretch them.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to scrap4brains

How about a mix of both? Get the things you need the most first and then spoil yourself with a few goodies.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Kozy Scraps

whatever you buy ... USE IT!!!!

as long as you use your purchases, you'll feel great about them

bbarthej
Veteran
bbarthej
In response to madmatter

I say SPLURGE and buy something that you would not normally get (but will use) because it was too expensive. OR go wild and buy a bunch of little things. I plan on spending a portion of my return papers, inks, and cute embellishments.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to bbarthej

A total splurge would be some sort of Sizzix and the Tim Holtz Texture Fades. I have this hidden desire to emboss (never before in my life) and ink.

bbarthej
Veteran
bbarthej
In response to MommaSaid

I saw the video on the Vagabond - pretty cool! But I can't justify spending that much money... even with my tax return. I just don't know if I would use it enough to warrant my spending spree. BUT you on the otherhand... GO FOR IT!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to bbarthej

I'd definitely go for a tool that is more expensive than you usually buy,,,,,the big shot or something like that,,,,,,or a Bind it All to make minis with,,,,a Gypsy to go with my cricut,,,,,something like that paper you can always buy here and there through out the year,,,,same with inks, etc,,,,,I'd go for one thing kinda pricey over a bunch of things that add up to kinda pricey

Tenant
In response to CommaHolly

I'd probably go for the pricey thing. That's what I did for my birthday and of course I added a few little things:-)

Missy

ScrappinMom4
Guru
ScrappinMom4
In response to MommaSaid

Can you create your own little 'money tree'...hey really make one from cs?...then take the money you are going to spend and add it on as 10s, 20s...if you are really lucky how about 50s? Then, you know things come up and we really want them but can't justify buying them? Well, you pluck a buck from your money tree and buy it!

Okay now I want one! Have fun...however you decide to spend it. Also, you are so right about the paper and embellies short love life sometimes.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to ScrappinMom4

Just go with the big shot. From what I have seen it does the same things as the Big shot, but for a tons more. To me the only real difference is the price and one it electric.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to Kozy Scraps

Oh I do know that the Big shot works with other die as well. I have used cuddle bug dies and embossing folder, Spellbinders, Quickutz and every single type of die Sizzix ever made including the sizzlets.

I have never used the Vegabond so I do know for sure it is versatile or not.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics