Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Embossing Question(s)        (Topic#1553721)
Michelle13
New Kid On the Block
Michelle13

Greetings!

I am new here and am really just getting started scrapbooking and making cards. I have been looking at embossing, but have no idea where to go with this.

Should I just get the hand held tool to start? (looks like that could be a lot of work). Or should I wait and invest in something like the Cuttlebug (which incidentally has some awesome templates)? Or is it better to go with heat embossing like Marthat Stewart?

Or is there something else entirely different that you recommend? I'd love ideas.

Thank you so much!
New excited scrapper!!!!!

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to Michelle13

Hi Michelle, first of all welcome! You are correct that embossing by hand with a tool is hard work depending on how big an area you are doing. I abandoned that quite quickly. I love my Cuttlebug for embossing and die cutting. I chose it at first because of cost, I didn't want to buy a big expensive machine in case I didn't use it enough to justify the purchase. Heat embossing is also a great technique that takes a bit of practice (at least for me) to perfect but is worth it in the end with a great professional finish. Lots of videos are available on Youtube to help you make a decision. Pat
Products Referenced in This Post:

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper

Once you learn to heat emboss you will heat emboss everything. I love it.

Dry embossing looks awesome, but I think it looks amazing when you use something like a Cuttlebug or the Big Shot.

It is all a preferance and not a right or wrong! Which is why I love to scrapbook!

Welcome to this wonderful hobby!

Michelle13
New Kid On the Block
Michelle13
In response to armyscraper

That is great, thank you so much for the great replies. I definitely think I'll wait and get the cuttlebug then. Heat embossing might have to wait until I have more time on my hands (nursing school takes up most of my brain cells right now).

Unforunately right now since I'm so new to this I'm really just stealing ideas from people through books and magazines on scrapbooking to come up with fun pages to put together. I put together a really nice Valentine's day one that I took the idea of our the scrapbooking, etc... magazine, it was quite a bit of work, but I Love the finished product (I even hand sewed on it!). Hoping that once I get more materials and do it a bit more (read... have more time to plan and think:^) I'll be able to put my own ideas together!!!

Thank you again!!!!

Michelle

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman

• Michelle13 Said:
...Unforunately right now since I'm so new to this I'm really just stealing ideas from people ...

Scrapbookers do this all the time. Its called "lifting". Card makers will also use the term "casing". Its quite acceptable. Just make sure that if you post a picture of something you did using/incorporating someone else's design or idea that you give them credit in your description. Its just a common curtesy and the practiced etiquette on sites like these.

Have fun!

Michelle13
New Kid On the Block
Michelle13
In response to cat_woman

I definitely will give credit if I post anything!!!

Ok, another question for those of you with a Cuttlebug - they have the cuttlebug V2, but some of the templates say Cuttlebug (no V2) and some say Cuttlebug V2. Does that mean they don't work with this new one? Or are all of them adaptable to this new updated one?

Thanks!!!!!!!

Tenant

I love my cuttlebug, even more I love that I can use other brand dies in it. Youtube has some really good videos showing which dies can go in the cuttlebug. Not too familiar with the V2 as it just came out, but I would expect cuttlebug to make the old dies and new dies compatible with both the original cuttlebug and the new V2 cuttlebug. I purchased my cuttlebug with a 40% off coupon at michaels, and I only buy embossing folders if they are on sale or I have a coupon. Great investment, I wish you luck!

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to GraceJones

The V2 has a few adjustments (design and handle) but is pretty much the same as the first. The dies/folders still work.

Welcome

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to HisGEM

Welcome to scrapping and to sb.com! I really like both dry and heat embossing as they have different effects. I own a Texture Boutique by Sizzix and I love it! I also love that I can use the Cuttlebug embossing folders in it. Heat embossing does take some practice, but the result is so pretty! It just takes a few tries to figure out how much to heat it. Good luck and have fun!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Smashley

Here is a recent thread on both types of embossing (with photos) if you want to take a look
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15496...

sunshineann
Resident
sunshineann
In response to Here Kitty

i too love the sizzix boutique embossing machine. I just purchased the tool for heat embossing, and cant wait to try it out.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to sunshineann

I have a Cuttlebug but wish I would've bought the Big Shot because it does larger areas.

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to scrap4brains

Love my Big Shot! I've used a Cuttlebug at my LSS-it's nice and small. My Big Shot seems a little stronger though. I'm going to try heat embossing as soon as my heat gun comes in.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to sunrenay

I love heat embossing and my Sizzix texture boutique!!!

Michelle13
New Kid On the Block
Michelle13
In response to debby_westbrook

This is all great - thank you all so much. I took a look at that link Amy from Nebraska - great link and helped huge. I was literally in love w/ the dry embossed pumpkin the most of everything, so I think that tells me right there that I am to do the dry route first (um, that and in all honest, I'm just obsessed w/ anything Fall - pumpkins, apples, etc...).

So now do I do the Cuttlebug or Sizzix or Big Shot - I'm sure I'm looking at more $ for the big ones, but I have a birthday coming up too:^)... I thought about Michael's coupons too, but then looked up the cuttlebug on the website and couldn't find it. Next time I'm there I'll have to check it out.

This was a big help, thank you all so much. I am part of a cooking forum (for a few years now) that I love on another website and now I have a feeling I'm going to be on this one entirely too much!!!

Thanks everyone!!!!!
Michelle

Edited by Michelle13 on 02-23-11 02:58 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

Big Shot. I just taught a class last night on Embossing and we did a whole free class on it at My Creative classroom (last month). You can go over there to see it if you want.

Anyways in my class last night we used Texture Plates from Sizzix for one of the projects and one lady who has the Cuttlebug said she hates it because she can't use Texture Plates or larger stuff in there. I also heard the Cuttlebug is difficult to use with Spellbinder dies--these are dies that can cut or emboss or do both.

So I say Sizzix Big Shot. I have had mine for about 4 years and it is still going strong! And I diecut like 20 times more than a normal scrapper since I am always prepping for classes.

Michelle13
New Kid On the Block
Michelle13
In response to Jennifer Priest

HI Jennifer,

Thanks for writing. I stopped at Michael's on the way home today to see the big shot and then I looked it up and I think it looks just like what I want. Except to be honest, I really don't know what all of it means... it says "die cuts" what is that? I understand it embosses (which is what I want), but does it cut things out? and does it do things with color? I'd assume not for only $60 at Joanne's.

I will look up some You tube video's etc.. online or the one you were talking about in your post once I have this test done on Monday, but I will definitely go to a scrapbooking class or two this coming summer when I have some time - I think this would help big time.

Thanks so much!!!!!

Michelle

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

Yup, it cuts stuff out! They have it here in the store too. You have to buy dies to die cut, embossing folder to emboss, texture plates to emboss or ad color (with an inkpad), and so on.

Here are some of the things you can use with the Big Shot:
Products Referenced in This Post:

Michelle13
New Kid On the Block
Michelle13
In response to Jennifer Priest

Thank you so much. This is great! I can't wait to get it now... so hard for me to wait for things - kind of an instant kind of gratification girl.... argh... I need to be patient though we'll see how long that lasts.

Thank you again, I am already starting to collect my wish list on here, Joanne's and Amazon!!!

Michelle

Tenant

i am also getting into embossing can i use for scrapbooking and making cards do i really need the embdssing light i have this one emboosing unit from fiskers where it says i dont need the light i also have sissixs big shot where do i get embossing tamplets for it and what are embossing folders

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics