Username Post: different themes on page        (Topic#1553775)
styme123
Resident
styme123

I'm in the middle of a huge project to sort out 25 years of photos to start scrapping, ughhhhhh. As I'm going through the photos the problem that I'm coming up with is sometimes I have one or 2 random pictures that are cute but I don't know how or if I can incorporate this picture into the album. Example, I'm scrapping in order so I come across one picture of the first day of 2nd grade for my 2 oldest, what do I do? I'm nervous to give 1 photo it's own page since I have so many years to scrap. I'm aiming for about 1 year per book. Most books have 20 pages in them. Any ideas?
Thanks, Irene

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to styme123

How about one page for first days of school? You wouldn't have to have every year, just some. For my kids' books, I did one 2 pager of about every other year of school pictures.

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to scrap4brains

All the albums are going to be total family ones. I had thought about one for each kid plus a family on but was getting a little overwhelmed by that (3 kids plus family=4albums) ughhh So not one kid gets there own.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to styme123

Good luck with your big project..

I'm doing the same thing..sorting. This might not help you but I'm going to do my kids' album(s) by theme or happening. Birthdays will get two layouts and then all the pictures having to do with birthdays will go into the photo sleeves that I'm in love with (see below). This will accomplish several things: 1) I will make my job easier and 2) by using the photo sleeves I can always pop in a picture I find 3 months later.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 02-23-11 03:08 PM
In response to Sunnydi

What if you did one page per kid in each album? For example, first day of school, birthday party, sports team, cute random shot of them colouring or whatever.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to J-M

Add more pages to the albums!

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to J-M

• J-M Said:
What if you did one page per kid in each album? For example, first day of school, birthday party, sports team, cute random shot of them colouring or whatever.

This is a GREAT idea for wanting do end up with 4 albums. It is less overwhelming. Then you can just move the pages into the albums when you get them done. I do this often for when I want theme albums. I tend to go faster and get more done becasue I don't feel overwhelmed.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Kozy Scraps

First of all good luck! That sounds like a huge task to start! I had issues like that when I started my yearly albums, and like you I kept running into cute photos that didn't really fit anywhere. So I started another album for all those misfit photos that didn't really have a spot. Occasionally I was able to fit a page in with main albums but for the most part I just kept them in an album by themselves, and so far I'm so happy with the results because they are some of my favorite photos and act more like a 'highlight' of the year in two pages or less.

Or...I agree..just add more pages!

ebony_val24
Tenant
ebony_val24
In response to styme123

I actually did the same thing but my kiddos are 9 and 7 ...i couldnt imagine 25 years worth.. but I did one album for my oldest and began .. when my youngest was born (that was the beginning of a new album) and its very difficult .. bc I wanted to go in chronological order...

I am NOT ANYWHERE NEAR FINISHING!!!! now they have their own activities and that is being separated... Good luck!

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to ebony_val24

I did the same type of thing for my sister on her 40th birthday. Totally overwhelmed me at first!

Here is what I did w/ some pic that REALLY needed to be in the album but I did not have enough for a page.

I "divided" a page up into 4 sections, resulting in 4 squares. Each of those squares was a "mini layout" I put the one, sometimes two pictures in it, designed and decorated it just as I would a larger layout but just on a smaller scale.

I HAD to put as many pics on a page as I could because it was 40 yrs worth of pictures so space was a priority.

4 layouts in One By Trina_P

Sorry the layout looks so blurry here but it gives you the idea.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Trina_P

That's a really cute idea, Trina!

CroppinCabin
Resident
CroppinCabin
In response to GemGirl

Just a thought, but for those photos that just don't fit, follow the theme of the page, or are just odd... why not put them aside and make another book for misfit photos. I was just introduced to this scrappers products and I love the concept! She scraps by themes.... the places we go, the things we do, the people we love, etc... Photos don't have to be in chronological order and these albums would compliment what you are already doing. Check out her stuff at...

http://stacyjulian.com/index.php
http://www.stacysbigpicture.typepad.com/

Good luck and ENJOY your journey through all the memories!!

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney
In response to GemGirl

Love Trina P's 4 mini page idea!

Frau_Cooney
Idol
Frau_Cooney
In response to Frau_Cooney

What I have done is to collect the "random" photos from a period of time and put them all together on a layout. For example, in a baby book for the first year, I have a "Faces" 2-page layout that has about 20 photos of my son with some cute and funny faces he made over the year. I didn't scrap each photo chronologically during the year, but gave the photos a place in time as part of his first year.

styme123
Resident
styme123
In response to Trina_P

That's a really good idea too! That might work. I got through 15 years of sorting so far.... only 10 more to go. At 14 books of photos so far. Not exactly how I wanted to spend my winter break off from work. But it had to be done....

Trina_P
Guru
Trina_P
In response to styme123

Thnx. I hope it helps. It was super easy and a fast way to put those photos to good use in the album.

olliebelle20
Expert
olliebelle20
In response to Trina_P

I made an album for my mom. One of the layouts was school pictures and softball pictures from when I was little. I put them in order of grade and age at a slight angle. It turned out cute. I can't figure out how to get it to link to this post though.

Judes
Judes 
Expert
Judes
  • Judes on 02-27-11 04:14 PM
In response to olliebelle20

I've done like Trina P. I have often scrapped two events on my 8.5x11 pages. Sometime I draw a horizontal line, sometimes a diagonal line and scrap two different days on the same page. I hate to waste space unless I am inspired to do so with embellishments.

scrappercaz
Governor
scrappercaz
In response to styme123

• styme123 Said:
I'm nervous to give 1 photo it's own page since I have so many years to scrap.

Don't be. It will add a page to the overall album certainly but it doesn't have to take long to do. If you're not used to doing single pic pages do a trawl through the galleries (even the digi gallery where the trend is often for single pics) for ideas or look for sketches. Once you've done a couple you'll be fine. You can use the space for lots of journaling if you're 'scared' of negative space.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics