Username Post: I may have a strange question but...        (Topic#1553979)
jessielee
Veteran
jessielee

Does anyone know if paper towel is acid free?

stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 02-26-11 08:31 PM
In response to jessielee

I would assume nothing is unless it's actually labelled as such.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to stick

i would spray it with "make it acid free" spray just to be sure

AndieBee
Expert
AndieBee
In response to Just G

Generally speaking, paper towels are not acid free. There may be a company that manufactures acid free paper towels but I haven't found it yet.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to AndieBee

I just tested one with my pH tester pen, and the line is still purple (it would change to yellow if the tested item were acidic). So in this case - I don't know the brand of the paper towel, sorry - it's acid-free, but not necessarily lignin-free, which is also important.
Products Referenced in This Post:

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee
In response to aquabunny

Yes but is there a way to test the lignin

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to jessielee

It looks like there are lignin-testing pens on the market, but mostly for use by library preservation/conservation groups. The only reference I've found as to where to buy one - and the only scrapbooking-related reference I see to it - go to books.google.com, search for "lignin testing pen" (without the quote marks), and the first result should be a page from a 2004 issue of Creating Keepsakes that talks about acid and lignin testing pens.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 03-01-11 12:21 AM
In response to jessielee

They don't yellow but they do go brittle. So no they are not useful for long term use.

Cute projects with children yes.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to Obi

What you really want to ask is -- are they 'Achivally Safe'. As stated previously, just b/c it's not acid-free, doesn't mean it's safe. It can be safe for use with photographs. but still not stand up to time.

So, if anything yellows, cracks, becomes brittle over time, then it's something to avoid unless it's for cards or something you don't care about longevity (and even that's relative).

My opinion is that paper towel would not be a good choice for the long term.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics