Username Post: Newbie with a rather large project & no idea how to do it.        (Topic#1554197)
New Kid On the Block

Hello everyone, I am new to scrapbooking but not papercrafts. I have been making cards for about 2-3 years. I have loads of tools & a fair amount of paper. Now my problem is would be I need an idea to get started. I have been elected to put a scrapbook together for a retiring co-worker... The people at work know I make cards and that is the same thing right??? (LOL!!! not exactly)

So we are taking pictures of everyone at work so they can put either a little saying or a signature by there picture. I am just not sure how to get a theme out of it. I am a nurse so some of the pictures I have are taken in the hospital and some of the pictures were taken while on an outing. Any ideas???
Thank you, Tanya

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to twallingrn

a scrapbook page is just a big card with pictures

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

o n a serious note, I'd figure out how many pics per page,,,,,you say you are taking a pic of "everyone",,,

how many? the standard scrapbook has 20 pages,,,,or Lay Outs,,,,,

you COULD add more,,,,,but if it's a ton more, I'd go with a D ring rather than trying to add posts to a post bound album,,,,,

If the album you want to do is 12x12, you could get at least 2 photos per page,,,,,

try and organize the photos into some semblance of order, first,,,,,,then you may have a better idea how to go about it

New Kid On the Block

I do realize it is a big card. But, I have to add pictures to it and that does make it different and I have about 100+ people that we want pictures of so it is a lot of people. Some of the photos have more than 1 person in the photo. I luck out on that. So if you can only put about 2 pictures on a page I will need around 50 pages... ugh! If I used a D ring how does that make it stable. Would 12X12 chipboard (front & back) be strong enough to keep it together. Thank you for your idea.

From overwhelmed!!!!

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 03-01-11 10:44 AM

Holly gave some great advice! You *can* put more than 2 pics on a 12X12 page, of course, though! If you did three photos per page or layout, that would leave you with doing approximately 30 pages (since you DO have some pics with more than one person in them).

You could do this a couple ways: get a regular post-bound album that comes with 10 page protectors (2 layouts per page protector gives you 20 layouts). You'd have to buy an extra 10-pack of page protectors and possibly some extender posts to make room, especially if your pages/embellishments are going to be bulky.

The second way is to go with what Holly suggested and get a D-Ring album. American Crafts makes some great ones, along with other manufacturers. This album is very stable and can hold lots and lots of layouts, even if you get a little bulky with your pages.

(I've cited a few products below so you can see the products I'm talking about.)

What I would do is keep it simple--3 photos per page, cropping when possible for space. (You can do more photos per page--a 12X12 layout could hold up to 6 4X6 photos, but you'd have to use stickers or something like that on top of the pics for people to sign or write something. 6 photos would take up the entire space of the page with no paper showing. I would stick with 3, or at most, 4 photos per page.) Have people sign or write their message near or under or beside their pic. You can add some simple embellishments like stickers or flowers or whatever might be appropriate, either before or after they write their message.

As for a specific theme, you don't necessarily have to have one. It can be all totally random. Or, your theme can come in by using a few pieces of patterned paper here and there that have all come from the same stack or collection, or that at least coordinate well.

Hope that helps and good luck!! You are awesome for offering to do this for the coworker. I am sure they will cherish it for years!

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole

• CommaHolly Said:
o n a serious note, I'd figure out how many pics per page,,,,,you say you are taking a pic of "everyone",,,

how many? the standard scrapbook has 20 pages,,,,or Lay Outs,,,,,

you COULD add more,,,,,but if it's a ton more, I'd go with a D ring rather than trying to add posts to a post bound album,,,,,

If the album you want to do is 12x12, you could get at least 2 photos per page,,,,,

try and organize the photos into some semblance of order, first,,,,,,then you may have a better idea how to go about it

holy ####. really??? mine have like 60!! no exaggerating. sorry off subject....good luck and i like holly's advice!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to tegan-nicole

LOL - I think Holly meant they usually come with 20 pages, but you can always add more. All my books have well over 20!!

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to Smashley

Maybe page maps would help you?

http://www.pagemaps.com/pdfsketches.htm

They are sketches you can use to give you rough ideas on setting up pages. I 100% agree with the D-Ring (think of it as a loose-leaf binder from grammar school. You can move the pages around as you need to, etc.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I have to ask the question because it does come up often on this board... Do you think the person receiving this book will really appreciate your scrapbooking efforts? If the answer is probably not... then scale back your efforts. You can still make a nice photo album just not a scrapbook that will take you HOURS and HOURS and HOURS to complete.
I actually wanted to type a few more HOURS but you get the idea. I can't tell how many women who have posted about how upset they were making a scrapbook for someone who didn't really understand the amount of work that went into it.
And then they got their feelings hurt. But I have read dozens of these complaints.
You can still make a great photo book but skip all of the elaborate scrapping stuff unless you know the person will really appreciate it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics