Username Post: Sewing machines?        (Topic#1554559)
SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack

So I wanted to try sew borders on my pages, but I don't want to spend a huge amount of money on a great big machine. Does anybody have any recommendations for some inexpensive machines that are relatively small in size that would work for this?

Thanks in advance!!

~Sarah

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to SarahMack

Well.....this isn't a machine, but it is an option. I have a Sew Easy. It's perfect for me. Of course, a sewing machine would do the work a lot faster!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Luvmyfam

Sarah- look into a low end white or singer from walmart. They're decent enough that you CAN sew fabrics with them but they'll work GREAT for paper. The low end ones don't have lots of different stitches so if you want more decorative stuff I'd go with Jen's suggestion or the in stitchez templates- they're probably MUCH cheaper in the long run than getting a machine anyway.

SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack
In response to Seaexplore

Those would be PERFECT for me! I have no clue how to use a sewing machine and I wouldn't know what to buy or how to use it once I bought it. I have a couple of questions about the Sew Easy tool and heads though...

I can see how it works. You run the tool against the paper and the wheel pierces the paper. Straight stitch I can figure out easy, but are there instructions on how to do the other stitches?

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to SarahMack

you might want to PM Jen so she can answer your questions. I've never used the Sew Easy before. Looks pretty cool tho. I use my husqvarna sewing machine on my papers (I also make bags and stuff so it's not JUST for paper).

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam

Sarah, there are different heads for the sew easy tool. Each head does a different stitch. I only have the one head that came with the basic tool, and I didn't keep the packaging, but I do believe that there were instructions, or at least examples, on the package.

One suggestion if you buy this, also buy the piercing mat. I've read complaints from people who did not buy the mat. They say that the tool does not pierce the paper properly. I think some women have used mouse pads instead. Another suggestion is to have a paper piercer handy. If the paper is really thick or layered, the piercing may not go all the way through, even with the piercing mat. When that happens, I just use my paper piercer to finish the job.

I first learned about this tool in the video section here at scrapbook.com. If you click on the "Videos" tab at the upper right of your screen, and then search for the sew easy, you should find a video on how to use the product. You will probably also find the video if you click on the product that I listed above.

I don't sew a lick, and my craft area is so small, so having even a small machine is not realistic for me. So this is a good alternative for me. As a plus, I bring it to crops with me!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Luvmyfam

another option is to check out your local free cycle or craigslist.

SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
Sarah, there are different heads for the sew easy tool. Each head does a different stitch. I only have the one head that came with the basic tool, and I didn't keep the packaging, but I do believe that there were instructions, or at least examples, on the package.

One suggestion if you buy this, also buy the piercing mat. I've read complaints from people who did not buy the mat. They say that the tool does not pierce the paper properly. I think some women have used mouse pads instead. Another suggestion is to have a paper piercer handy. If the paper is really thick or layered, the piercing may not go all the way through, even with the piercing mat. When that happens, I just use my paper piercer to finish the job.

I first learned about this tool in the video section here at scrapbook.com. If you click on the "Videos" tab at the upper right of your screen, and then search for the sew easy, you should find a video on how to use the product. You will probably also find the video if you click on the product that I listed above.

I don't sew a lick, and my craft area is so small, so having even a small machine is not realistic for me. So this is a good alternative for me. As a plus, I bring it to crops with me!

Thanks so much, Jen! It's definitely on my list to 'get soon'!

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to SarahMack

Don't buy any of the scrapbooking sewing machines as they are terrible and won't go through heavy pps or cardstock for very long or at all. I just bought a cheap, proper sewing machine and it works a treat.

mrsmiller
Queen
mrsmiller
In response to SuperAllyFan

I have a sewing machine but I am so bad at trying to line anything up so I hand stitch.
For hand stitching, you can also try the following, which is what I use (the circle is my favorite):
Products Referenced in This Post:

uruvero
Veteran
uruvero
In response to mrsmiller

If you go on the We R Memory Keepers site you will find a .pdf file where it shows you all the type of stitches and which ones to use with each head and it shows you step by step how to do each stitch! On my wish list and dying to try it but havne't found this prduct in Toronto yet!

bwasek
bwasek 
Expert
bwasek
In response to uruvero

I'm leaning more towards an actual sewing machine. Do you all know any that have lots of stitch options that are less than 100?

Lydgranger
Resident
Lydgranger
In response to bwasek

Again check Walmart or JoAnn's-Check JoAnn's flyer online -sometimes they have their machines on sale forless than $100- Also Sears or a sewing shop may have used machines that they may have on sale. Another thought would be the want ads.

Bgreuter
Tenant
Bgreuter

Hi, I am not much of a seamstress but I really love the look of pages stitched on a sewing machine. I have never stitched on paper. Could you tell me what size stitches are best and if you just use paper like material or use any special technique? I have the Memory Maker stich thing but I also love the tighter stitches a machine gives. Intimidated by my sewing machine. Thank you for sharing, I appreciate any and all advice on subject. Brenda

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Bgreuter

I like to use longer stitches. If you use short ones it tends to allow the paper to tear easier. Longer stitches mean less holes so it's less likely to tear. You can also run it thru your machine with no thread and then go back with embroidery floss and a needle to give a thicker stitch but with a neat pattern.

New Kid On the Block

hhapy
Microsoft Office 2007
Coach Necklace

microsoft office 2010 online

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics