Username Post: Making Memories paper trimmer        (Topic#1554629)
stick
stick 
Mayor
stick
  • stick on 03-06-11 10:53 AM

YES, another question about it, lol. What is the cutting track made of?

I have a Fiskars trimmer that I'm overall very happy with - except for the cutting track, I find that in order to get good clean cuts I have to replace it far too often, and it's just starting to annoy me.

GMFTS
GMFTS 
Mayor
GMFTS
  • GMFTS on 03-06-11 01:49 PM
In response to stick

There really isnt a cutting 'track'. It is stainless steel that runs along a stainless steel edge. No blades to replace, ever.

creater1
Diva
creater1
In response to GMFTS

I had the mm paper trimmer and love it with the exception the hinged area did not line up precisely so therefore so straight cut.
Would have been fabulous if the bed of the cutter did not fold. I tried 2 and they were both misaligned.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to creater1

that is the one bad thing about the MM cutter....you can't just line your project up on the edge. You have to use the grid...which isn't always the most convenient. that said, never replacing the cutting track or the blade rocks! the only thing that would make it better, other than the obvious...fix the hinge...is if you could use different style rotary blades.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Nancy Keslin

I've had 2 MM trimmers, and both failed. They made an ear-splitting squeal after about 300 uses (first one) and 50 uses (replacement). MM replaced my first trimmer, but I didn't bother dealing with the second. I use a Fiskars personal trimmer, which also has a no track system.

scraprabbit
Queen
scraprabbit
In response to Luvmyfam

Interesting. I always line my paper up on the edge of my MM cutter (the edge closest to the blade, not the edge on the other side of the hinge) and it works perfectly!

scrapinsmiles
Expert
scrapinsmiles
In response to scraprabbit

I've had my MM trimmer for a few years now and I absolutely love it! I have not had a problem aligning my paper and mine never squeals. I love never having to replace the blade, and the blade easily cuts through the thick Paper Trey In cardstock or any other cardstock. I highly recommend it!

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
I've had 2 MM trimmers, and both failed. They made an ear-splitting squeal after about 300 uses (first one) and 50 uses (replacement). MM replaced my first trimmer, but I didn't bother dealing with the second. I use a Fiskars personal trimmer, which also has a no track system.

This is exactly what happened to me and my sister. We both loved our MM trimmers until the second replacement. Now I am looking for a new trimmer and still not finding one that cuts straight.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to stick

I have 3 trimmers!

1) I use Creative Memory 5x7 guillotine for photo trimming and any thin slices I need to make on smaller items. Nothing beats the precision of the blade and I have had it sharpened by a scissor sharpening expert. He called it "a toy" but he did get it good and sharp again. For the price, IMHO these are the best trimmers out there.

2) I use the Making Memories 12 x 12 circular blade trimmer for papers. I have to be extra careful lining up the item being trimmed because it is very difficult to go back and make very tiny slices with this trimmer. If I have to make a very thin slice...I will either use my guillotine or get out the craft knife & glass mat.

3) Old fashion Fiskars “sliding blade” 12 x 12 trimmer. I use this trimmer to remove the center section of a mat (just flip the guide/blade down "into" the paper) and for scoring. In addition to a "sliding blade" up & down, the whole guide tends to slide "side to side". Eventually most people start to complain that these trimmers no longer cut straight and I had the same experience. Something about the plastic in the guide starts to "give" or "warp". No matter what you try once it starts to "give" you can't fix it.
If you have one of these and are upgrapding don't be so quick to chuck it...you can always use it for scoring.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I have the MM trimmer and love it. To those gals that theirs started squealing, mine did this also. To get rid of the ear shattering noise, I sprayed a little WD40 on a kleenex and then rubbed the guide rod that the blade housing travels on. It hasn't sqealed in 2 years.

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to cat_woman

My issue with the MM is the grid. It is wearing off on mine. Love the trimmer, but with no grid, it is useless.

Scrapingbliss
Mayor
Scrapingbliss
In response to moonpuff

I just bought the MM trimmer last week and turned around and took it back the next day. It came out of the box tearing the paper when it cut and the blade hard to move. I watched a couple of videos and realized it was off the track so I adjusted it. I did move better after that and the cuts were some what better, however, after about 25 cuts it was still not very straight and the edges on every cut were frayed. I looked at some reviews, a lot of good ones, but I just too it back. The lining up using the grid was just too time consuming in my book. I bought the below instead and seems to do a REALLY good job. Silent, straight cuts, and no fraying. And it comes with different blade styles.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Tenant
In response to Scrapingbliss

i have one that has a light its been on tv a couple times i forgot the name you can look at amazon.com see if they have them thats where i got mine

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to edithseelhoff

Glad you started this post, I'm shopping for a new trimmer. Almost sold on the MM trimmer but a little hesitant now.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to scrapsweet

I simply adore my trimmer at home. I've had it for four years and have only needed to replace the blade once, about two months ago. However, taking it to crops is hard since it doesn't fit into my storage containers.
I do want the Creative Memories guillotine cutter for small items. It looks wonderful and I have yet to hear a bad review.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to cat_woman

• cat_woman Said:
I have the MM trimmer and love it. To those gals that theirs started squealing, mine did this also. To get rid of the ear shattering noise, I sprayed a little WD40 on a kleenex and then rubbed the guide rod that the blade housing travels on. It hasn't sqealed in 2 years.

This was a cautionary suggestion that MM gave me when I called their customer service. They said I was welcome to try this, but it would void the warranty and could leave residue on my paper. It's good to know that this does work, though!

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Luvmyfam

• Luvmyfam Said:
  • cat_woman Said:

This was a cautionary suggestion that MM gave me when I called their customer service. They said I was welcome to try this, but it would void the warranty and could leave residue on my paper. It's good to know that this does work, though!

Well, I think its ridiculous they would tell you it would void the warranty. What the heck kind of designers would put in a critical moving piece without any kind of lubrication or a means to replace it. Pretty dumb engineering if you ask me (and I'm an engineer!). Besides, how would they know???

kirasmommy
Guru
kirasmommy
In response to cat_woman

I love my MM trimmer!! You can use wax paper along the blade slider to get rid of the squealing. I did it when I first got it and no problems since. And no grease or anything getting on your paper.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics