Username Post: Do you use glitter??        (Topic#1554647)
caraboo
Expert
caraboo

Ok...so I have stickles and love them but I am seeing a lot of layouts and cards that use glitter. I haven't tried any...probably because I remember what a mess it was to use in school.

Here's what I am wondering? Do you use glitter? How? What kind do you use and what type of adhesive is required?

Any information you can offer will be greatly appreciated!

traceyjean
Guru
traceyjean
In response to caraboo

I use double sided Tacky Tape and a spray sealer. Or Judikins Sticky Stuff which is a powder that stays wet when you heat emboss to give you time to add glitter before heating to seal. I also keep a mixture of clear embossing powder with Prisma glitter since I use it the most. I work with glitter/embossing powder over a coffee filter so there's less mess.

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to traceyjean

I love to use glitter and it's not as messy as it was in school days. This is what I do.

I use a piece of white scratch paper, place my embellie I want glitter on, add my choice of adhesive (glossy accents), cover w/the glue, add the glitter and leave till it's dry, shake off excess then apply a thin layer of the Glossy Accents to seal the glitter. If I want a dimensional look I add a thick layer of the Glossy Accents for dimension b4 adding the glitter....the finished product looks awesome and doesn't take too long for it to dry. I try to do this when I'm just about done for the night then the next day it's dry and I'm ready to add my dried glittered embellie to my LO.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to spend2much

I use a glitter tray and martha stewart glitter. The tray keeps the glitter contained, I also leave my embellie/paper to sit overnight so that it has time to 'cure'. Adhesive I use several different things, glossy accents, glue pens, tacky glue, MS glittler glue anything that dries clear.

but it really isn't as messy as it used to be-and it really adds some great sparkle!

NewSnow0518
Diva
NewSnow0518
In response to MrsAnnieS

wow, this is a great question! I have been wondering the same thing! Great suggestions ladies!

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to MrsAnnieS

• MrsAnnieS Said:
I use a glitter tray and martha stewart glitter. The tray keeps the glitter contained, I also leave my embellie/paper to sit overnight so that it has time to 'cure'. Adhesive I use several different things, glossy accents, glue pens, tacky glue, MS glittler glue anything that dries clear.

but it really isn't as messy as it used to be-and it really adds some great sparkle!

I have tried the glitter tray and didn't like it cuz the glitter stuck to the tray...kinda like static electricity...ugh! Now it sits in my closet and I just use paper...so much easier for me.

LeeLo
LeeLo 
Diva
LeeLo
  • LeeLo on 03-06-11 08:23 PM

I'm the same way...I have a tray but prefer scratch paper because the tray is a pain to clean up!

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to LeeLo

Before using the tray for glitter, run a used dryer fabric softener sheet over it, or that Perfect Printing Pouch (they may have changed the name recently). The user here named Scraperfect can tell you where to get the pouch. Or, just keep using scrap paper....(shrug) either works.

Somebody on one of the selling shows showed using a Xyron to glitter letters; she ran them through "upside down" first (so the adhesive would get on the face of the letters), applied the glitter, then ran them through the normal way to get the adhesive on the back to adhere to the project. Worked okay, but I'd still use a spray sealer afterwards. No matter what I try, I wind up wearing the sparkly stuff. I'm sure my neighbors think I have a secret life as an exotic dancer or something.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to caraboo

I stumbled across a video on how to make glitter Christmas ornaments (you glue glitter inside glass balls) and it talked about Martha Stewart's glitter and how it was much finer that the old fashion kid's glitters we all think about when someone says glitter...

I never thought I would ever be saying this but I think I just might have to get me some of this here glitter...especially the golds, coppers, & silvers...

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Glitter has come a long way since we were in grade school. And MS's line has some really lovely colors of it.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to GemGirl

MS glitter is the BEST!! It is so fine and sparkly.

I need some art glue for the glitter.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to GemGirl

I love using my Xyron X to glitter letters or small paper embellies. You just have to rub REALLY hard after you run it through the second time. I never seal mine, but having some glitter specks in my page protectors doesn't bother me. I also like using zots and adding glitter to them to get "sparkle dots".

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi

• spend2much Said:
I love to use glitter and it's not as messy as it was in school days. This is what I do.

I use a piece of white scratch paper, place my embellie I want glitter on, add my choice of adhesive (glossy accents), cover w/the glue, add the glitter and leave till it's dry, shake off excess then apply a thin layer of the Glossy Accents to seal the glitter. If I want a dimensional look I add a thick layer of the Glossy Accents for dimension b4 adding the glitter....the finished product looks awesome and doesn't take too long for it to dry. I try to do this when I'm just about done for the night then the next day it's dry and I'm ready to add my dried glittered embellie to my LO.

This is what I do also but lately to cut letters I use Glitter paper as it's pretty clean to use.

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
MS glitter is the BEST!! It is so fine and sparkly.

I need some art glue for the glitter.

ditto on the MS

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to GemGirl

• GemGirl Said:
Before using the tray for glitter, run a used dryer fabric softener sheet over it, or that Perfect Printing Pouch (they may have changed the name recently). The user here named Scraperfect can tell you where to get the pouch. Or, just keep using scrap paper....(shrug) either works.

Somebody on one of the selling shows showed using a Xyron to glitter letters; she ran them through "upside down" first (so the adhesive would get on the face of the letters), applied the glitter, then ran them through the normal way to get the adhesive on the back to adhere to the project. Worked okay, but I'd still use a spray sealer afterwards. No matter what I try, I wind up wearing the sparkly stuff. I'm sure my neighbors think I have a secret life as an exotic dancer or something.

hahaha I have never considered that before but I think we work at the same club!

Hanging By a Moment
Diva
Hanging By a Moment
In response to tegan-nicole

Glitter wise I prefer P K Glitz over MS... though I have some MS because it is easier to get at M's it is nice also.

As far as adhesive goes:

- Helmar - Gemstone glue for liquid

- Surka Quickie Glue Pen - for writing with a

- Sticky Tape from P K Glitz - is awesome for lines and stripes

- Sticky Paper and Wonderfilm from P K Glitz - to run through your cricut to make glittered shapes

Hope this helps.

Resident
In response to Hanging By a Moment

I use Mod Podge (glossy) to seal the glitter. It works great -- dries clear and dries FAST!

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to yellow5

As GemGirl said, the ScraPerfect Pouch is now called The Perfect Crafting Pouch now and yes, it does an amazing job with static. You can see how it stops glitter and bling from sticking to a tray on this video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8y5Tr-K84s

Also, use The Perfect Cleaning Cloth to attract stray glitter from projects and work surfaces. 'Course with our Best Glue Ever, there's very little stray glitter that doesn't stick to the glue!

caraboo
Expert
caraboo
In response to scraperfect

Thanks everyone! I knew you guys could help me out. Looks like I need to get some glitter.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics