Username Post: What would you give a scrapper just starting out?        (Topic#1554743)
J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 03-08-11 10:25 AM

My mom has said she wants to start scrapping when she retires in April, so I thought I would give her some basic tools/supplies to start out. But I have no idea, other than a basic trimmer, what to start with, it seems like so long ago that I started and I keep thinking everything I have is essential!

She's not interested in a cutting machine until she sees how much she likes scrapbooking, so what would your, say, top five must-haves be? And what kind of adhesive would you recommend that she can get easily? Where she lives, she'd be dependent on Walmart - I'm not sure the local craft-y type store even carries adhesive.

SuperAllyFan
Angel
SuperAllyFan
In response to J-M

Patterned papers (maybe a collection so that she doesn't have to think about matching up)
Cardstock
Alphas
Punch/es
Journalling spots/cards

Dasha
Dasha 
Veteran
Dasha
  • Dasha on 03-08-11 10:29 AM
In response to J-M

my top faves when i started:

~basic trimmer/cutter
~a starter kit! (i got one at Walmart that came with papers, stickers, chipboard, an album...etc)
~zig glue pen
~dot/stripes adhesive runner
~different colored brads (eyelets would be the next step)

Shivi
Shivi 
Veteran
Shivi
  • Shivi on 03-08-11 10:35 AM
In response to Dasha

I think it really depends what she likes to do.

I know I was really happy to have some floral stamps, a few inks and some basic flowers to start with. And some nice brads definitely are great, too.

Of course the pp and cs are essentials.

jennaroo
Idol
jennaroo
In response to Dasha

I've done this before for a friend's dd whom graduated HS and was off to college, she always loved to thumb through my books while she was at my house with her mom....I gave her an album loaded with pretty pp and a matching embellishment for each page along with a $25 gift certificate to our LSS

BUT basics would be

cardstock
patterned paper
embellishments
adhesives
ribbon
alphas
journal spots
acid free pens
good pair of scissors
a few simple tools
albums

Edited by jennaroo on 03-08-11 10:37 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CMLeach
Governor
CMLeach
In response to jennaroo

5 things...hmmmm...

Trimmer
A set of journaling pens/markers
An album
Some pattern paper -- as was said before, maybe a collection of pattern papers in a color palette your mom likes
Cardstock -- I'd probably stick to white, kraft/brown and black...or colors that coordinate with the pp given

A 6th would be adhesive, but I've found that I needed to do trial and error on my own to discover what I do and don't like. So maybe see what your mom has access to and let her pick what she thinks she'd like (by the size of the dispenser, etc.).

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to jennaroo

Hmm my top five must haves when I started:

-trimmer
-adhesive (both liquid and tape). I started with scotch quick dry and scotch permenant double sided tape-both available at places like walmart
-scissors,
-papers (patterned and cardstock-i'd suggest a variety pack of CS and a paper pack like DCWV)
-a corner rounder punch-EK success makes one that can also be used to make scalloped edges. It is a way to try punches without investing too much.

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to MrsAnnieS

If I had any to offer, I'd give her the discipline not to spend like a mad woman....
At least, not until she learns what her style is!

spend2much
Diva
spend2much
In response to GemGirl

Must haves for me and can't do w/o:

Tweezers
Paper Piercer
Ruler
Sm and Lg craft mat
Various types of Adhesives

Sunnydi
Queen
Sunnydi
In response to J-M

Along with what the others have said I'd give her one or two copies of a good Scrapping magazine and introduce her to this site as she'll find inspiration abound.

Pinksky-
Resident
Pinksky-
In response to GemGirl

Gemgirl is right! I think alot of us have made the mistake of buying into too many techniques that we thought we would use but didn't. Lots of wasted money. I have found the best spent money is in the nice paper lines that are found on here and LSS. (like Crate, Sassafras Las, Echo Park, etc.) And these sets usually contain papers, sticker, and alphabets in one set which is great for a beginner. I wish I had went in that direction in the beginning and I would've saved some money.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to Pinksky-

Paper and embellies.

j3Mel
j3Mel 
Idol
j3Mel
  • j3Mel on 03-08-11 12:08 PM
In response to Pinksky-

I would go with

a good 12 inch trimmer
really good scissors
pack of basic cardstock
pack of a variety of pp
go to pagemaps or other sketch site and make her a notebook of sketchs.......she can try several different sizes, styles etc and get an idea of the embellishments and other supplies she may need from there.

Amonika
Expert
Amonika
In response to Pinksky-

When I started I bought:

Trimmer
Plain Cardstock
A DCWV PP set
Adheisive
Scissors

I started with that. After several LO's and scouring the Scrapbook.com gallery I then started to branch out and buy other products. I saved a lot of money that way.

Edited by Amonika on 03-08-11 12:09 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to Amonika

A gift card to HL, Archivers or SB.com!
But what she'll need is the basics mentioned above

Edited by Just G on 03-08-11 12:23 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to bcblondie

Hmmm....does we want to start with layouts or with cards?

If layouts, I would get her a cheap album kit with a coupon. The ones that have an albulm, paper, and embellies??? Then I would get her a trimmer, a pair or good little scissors, and some adhesive. Maybe like the little tombows? Those are like a white out, should be easy to use.

If she wants to cards, I would get

- a pack of blank cards
- a paper stack
-trimmer
-cutterbee (or whatever) scissors
-adhesive
-maybe some sentiment stamps and an ink pad?

Tombow - Mono Adhesive Dots - Permanent - Dots Roller Refill

Cutter Bee Scissors

Fiskars - 12 Inch Personal Paper Trimmer with Cut-Line - Blade Style I

BasicGrey - Sublime Collection - 12 x 12 Vintage Paper Pack

Hero Arts - Poly Clear - Clear Acrylic Stamps - Sending Smiles Message, BRAND NEW

GaMtnScrap
Veteran
GaMtnScrap
In response to amandahugandkiss

I recently did this myself for my stepson's girlfriend. She had scrapbooked before several years ago with her mom (who lives several states away now) so she knew the basics but just didn't have any of her own tools and things. And now that they have their baby girl, she wanted to do a baby album, but she wasn't too sure she would stick with it after that. So, I took one of those Iris scrapbook cases and filled it with:

a paper trimmer
a good pair of sharp tip scissors
a corner rounder punch
a set of pens in just basic colors
a craft knife and craft mat
a ruler with a metal edge (for use with the knife)
cardstock in basic colors
a thing of Tombow adhesive
a bottle of Scotch QuickDry liquid glue
a little container of basic colored brads and
buttons (and some flowers, since we knew she'd be doing girlie pages!)
a couple of baby girl page kits
and a few of my old magazines.

I didn't want to go crazy and give her a whole album kit, because I wanted her to be able to pick out her own papers and embellies once she got started, but the page kits were small and gave her a place to start. The magazines she said helped to give her some ideas. Of course, luckily she and my stepson live somewhat close by us (less than an hour), so I also gave her an open invitation to come scrap with me anytime so she could raid my stash of anything else that caught her eye and/or go shopping together. And of course, that means I get to see the baby as she scraps! It's a win-win for us!

Jessica_
Guru
Jessica_
In response to GaMtnScrap

Here is a helpful list compiled by Jill, the founder of Scrapbook.com:

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/doc/3280/248 .html

hope this helps!

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to GaMtnScrap

the absolute best advice you can give her is GO DIGITAL!

- laptop with lots of memory
- Photoshop
- good digital camera
optional
- scanner
- printer

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Gelidy Gelato

If it's not too impersonal, I'd give her a nice gift certificate to a LSS, and offer to go along with her to pick out a few things. Once you're there, you'll no doubt gets lost of ideas, and be able to help guide her in her purchases.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to dwelch

I agree with the trimmer as a good place to start. This would be my list of must-haves for starting out, but of course, it all depends on what she wants to do:

-precision scissors
-tape runner (faster and less messy)
-zig glue pen for tiny stuff
-border punch (increases the fun-factor of scrapping because you get the sense of "wow, I did that myself!"

I like OP's ideas of getting those album kits that come with a bunch of coordinated stuff. I made an album kit early in my scrapping days and it really increased my confidence and made me feel like I could make something nice (which was a shocking concept at the time). It also gives her a chance to try out a variety of supplies like chipboard pieces, brads, ribbon, letter stickers, etc.

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to mercytiara

I agree with the album kits that contain an album, pp and embellishments to start her off. A good paper trimmer and scissors also. Any type of adhesive that she feels comfortable with. If I were you I would have a day with her at your home where she can use some of your supplies to see what she likes, and if you are anything like me I am sure you have a stash of paper that you could donate to the 'cause' as well just to get her started. The last thing I would recommend would be a self healing cutting mat or some type of work surface for her to use...

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to J-M

Besides a trimmer and adhesives (for those starting out, I recommend "Zip Dry", liquid and "Glue Dots")
I would buy:

A pad of coordinating paper OR 2 if you can afford it!(DCWV has a great variety)
A pack of multi-colored Card Stock (That matches the pad of pp)
A border punch -- (usually, after you see how nice one adds to the LO-- you end up wanting more!)
I also like circle punches because you can do a lot with them (cut out pic, make flowers, clocks, etc.)
The corner punch that makes rounded edges.

I've made gifts like this for a number of my friends (not gonna lie-- it was to try to get them hooked on SBing!)
What I've learned is that if you buy a lot of different papers it can be used in a number of different ways: cut like ribbon, used with a plate to make circles, you can cut out the designs and make layers over other papers, etc.-- If bought on sale, I feel like you can get a lot of bang for your buck. IMHO

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to leslief

My top 5 from when I started:

-A good 12x12 trimmer. Even if she is planning on scrapping smaller, get the 12x12 because the majority of paper out there is 12x12 and she could trim it down.

-mounting squares

-a nice set of journalling pens

-corner rounder punch

-alphabet stuff for titles (whether it be stickers, stamps, chipboard, paper, etc).

Once she gets into it more, definitely some sort of diecutting machine and at ATG!

Carrielyn
Idol
Carrielyn
In response to CSMmom

I'll add my vote to the good quality trimmer. There are so many crappy ones, having a scrapper in the know pick a good one would be nice.

Also, a nice basic, clean alpha stamp set. They can be used on almost everything!

Expert
In response to J-M

Repositional adhesive. Especially when you start out you want to make changes.

Alphabets- but only on sale. They can be so expensive!

Pad of assorted solid color cardstock.

Fun stickers or embellishments that may go with a recent event you just know she will scrap. May give some inspiration too.

A border punch, cause I think it gives a professional look to a page.

Hope this helps.

wendella247
Veteran
wendella247
In response to amandahugandkiss

I think I'd go with Amandahugandkiss's advice.

Tanya71
Guru
Tanya71
In response to dwelch

I would give her things that are of high quality that she may be tempted to cheap out on just starting up but which actually make a load of difference.

Paper trimmer
Scissors
ZIG glue pens
tape runner

and for #5 I would go with a kit containing an album, papers, embellishments just to get her going. She can shop for all those things once she has some time to find her style. Those other things... IME.... are hard to justify once you've spent money on inferior but usable products.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to dwelch

When I started scrapping it was hard for me to cut circles, ovals, etc to mat pictures. I had several templates for hand drawing then hand cutting shapes. My imperfect shapes and layouts were so de-motivating and frustrating. It was happy relief to get my Creative Memories cutting system. I know you don't want to get an electronic machine, yet, but you might find some other circle/shape cutter for her.

The main things to get have been mentioned (trimmer, adhesive,etc) but I would also get some bling and other beautiful embellies just for the excitment of it.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to wilbur

I'd also give her a subscription to one of the scrapbooking magazines.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to dwelch

If it were me, I'd do a nice day out, do lunch and look at some magazines and get her talking about the things she's like to do and try out. Then you could take her to the LSS and have her pick out a few things that she's like or maybe a page kit, etc.

Gives you a great chance to have a mom/daughter day and get her going in a hobby she may come to love.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics