Page 2 of 2 
Username Post: What would you give a scrapper just starting out?        (Topic#1554743)
mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to dwelch

I agree with the trimmer as a good place to start. This would be my list of must-haves for starting out, but of course, it all depends on what she wants to do:

-precision scissors
-tape runner (faster and less messy)
-zig glue pen for tiny stuff
-border punch (increases the fun-factor of scrapping because you get the sense of "wow, I did that myself!"

I like OP's ideas of getting those album kits that come with a bunch of coordinated stuff. I made an album kit early in my scrapping days and it really increased my confidence and made me feel like I could make something nice (which was a shocking concept at the time). It also gives her a chance to try out a variety of supplies like chipboard pieces, brads, ribbon, letter stickers, etc.

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to mercytiara

I agree with the album kits that contain an album, pp and embellishments to start her off. A good paper trimmer and scissors also. Any type of adhesive that she feels comfortable with. If I were you I would have a day with her at your home where she can use some of your supplies to see what she likes, and if you are anything like me I am sure you have a stash of paper that you could donate to the 'cause' as well just to get her started. The last thing I would recommend would be a self healing cutting mat or some type of work surface for her to use...

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to J-M

Besides a trimmer and adhesives (for those starting out, I recommend "Zip Dry", liquid and "Glue Dots")
I would buy:

A pad of coordinating paper OR 2 if you can afford it!(DCWV has a great variety)
A pack of multi-colored Card Stock (That matches the pad of pp)
A border punch -- (usually, after you see how nice one adds to the LO-- you end up wanting more!)
I also like circle punches because you can do a lot with them (cut out pic, make flowers, clocks, etc.)
The corner punch that makes rounded edges.

I've made gifts like this for a number of my friends (not gonna lie-- it was to try to get them hooked on SBing!)
What I've learned is that if you buy a lot of different papers it can be used in a number of different ways: cut like ribbon, used with a plate to make circles, you can cut out the designs and make layers over other papers, etc.-- If bought on sale, I feel like you can get a lot of bang for your buck. IMHO

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to leslief

My top 5 from when I started:

-A good 12x12 trimmer. Even if she is planning on scrapping smaller, get the 12x12 because the majority of paper out there is 12x12 and she could trim it down.

-mounting squares

-a nice set of journalling pens

-corner rounder punch

-alphabet stuff for titles (whether it be stickers, stamps, chipboard, paper, etc).

Once she gets into it more, definitely some sort of diecutting machine and at ATG!

Carrielyn
Idol
Carrielyn
In response to CSMmom

I'll add my vote to the good quality trimmer. There are so many crappy ones, having a scrapper in the know pick a good one would be nice.

Also, a nice basic, clean alpha stamp set. They can be used on almost everything!

Expert
In response to J-M

Repositional adhesive. Especially when you start out you want to make changes.

Alphabets- but only on sale. They can be so expensive!

Pad of assorted solid color cardstock.

Fun stickers or embellishments that may go with a recent event you just know she will scrap. May give some inspiration too.

A border punch, cause I think it gives a professional look to a page.

Hope this helps.

wendella247
Veteran
wendella247
In response to amandahugandkiss

I think I'd go with Amandahugandkiss's advice.

Tanya71
Guru
Tanya71
In response to dwelch

I would give her things that are of high quality that she may be tempted to cheap out on just starting up but which actually make a load of difference.

Paper trimmer
Scissors
ZIG glue pens
tape runner

and for #5 I would go with a kit containing an album, papers, embellishments just to get her going. She can shop for all those things once she has some time to find her style. Those other things... IME.... are hard to justify once you've spent money on inferior but usable products.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to dwelch

When I started scrapping it was hard for me to cut circles, ovals, etc to mat pictures. I had several templates for hand drawing then hand cutting shapes. My imperfect shapes and layouts were so de-motivating and frustrating. It was happy relief to get my Creative Memories cutting system. I know you don't want to get an electronic machine, yet, but you might find some other circle/shape cutter for her.

The main things to get have been mentioned (trimmer, adhesive,etc) but I would also get some bling and other beautiful embellies just for the excitment of it.

patchouli2000
Expert
patchouli2000
In response to wilbur

I'd also give her a subscription to one of the scrapbooking magazines.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to dwelch

If it were me, I'd do a nice day out, do lunch and look at some magazines and get her talking about the things she's like to do and try out. Then you could take her to the LSS and have her pick out a few things that she's like or maybe a page kit, etc.

Gives you a great chance to have a mom/daughter day and get her going in a hobby she may come to love.

Page 2 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics