Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: What do YOU pack to a crop        (Topic#1554833)
Dasha
Dasha 
Veteran
Dasha
  • Dasha on 03-10-11 08:19 AM

This Saturday will be my 5th crop at our LSS. I have only been scrapping for 2 years so I don't have too many supplies, but it's piling up quick!

For every crop, I have pretty much taken ALL my stuff! LOL. (I know that's probably an unimaginable thought for many of you to take all of ur stuff to a crop). The reason I do this is because I don't want to be in the middle of a page and missing that ONE piece of paper/ribbon/embellie that I didn't take.

But this time, I want to be more organized and truly only take with me the stuff I need.

Please give me tips, tricks, and ideas!!

TIA!

Rileysmom06
Mayor
Rileysmom06
In response to Dasha

Put together mini kits of the pages you want to finish. that should help narrow it down.

ShoeStamper
Tenant
ShoeStamper
In response to Dasha

Most of the crops I have attended have a Cricut on site you can use, and a sewing machine, and sometimes a cuttlebug...I always try to plan on what I am going to be working on and take any papers/embellishments/sti ckers, etc. that coordinate with that project, otherwise you end up taking more than you need. Most crops have a store on site, so if you absolutely had to have something that you didn't bring, you can purchase.
Always take your basic tools, adhesive, trimmer, and and a lamp. Again, plan on what you are going to work on specifically, and coordinate your supplies....instead of taking everything. Hope this helps.

Dasha
Dasha 
Veteran
Dasha
  • Dasha on 03-10-11 10:19 AM
In response to ShoeStamper

yes, that helps. i will try to only choose the pprs i am going to be using.

my problem is that i'm so indecisive that i can pick/choose pprs for hours. LOL.

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011
In response to Dasha

i am totally with you Dasha...I have the same problem. I have packed up all of my stuff for a crop on Saturday (this will be my first). I think after this one, I will be better prepared for my next one.

One thing someone suggested (which I think is a fabulous idea) to me, was a sealable cup. Kind of like a sippy cup so you dont spill all over your project. If your clutsy like me, this is bound to happen and I would feel terrible LOL...

Have fun and let us know how you make out

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Dasha

• Dasha Said:

my problem is that i'm so indecisive that i can pick/choose pprs for hours. LOL.

Do that BEFORE you go, so you can spend time creating and socializing, rather than planning.

Also, we have an unwritten rule NO FOOD OR DRINKS on the table! Take a water bottle with a lid, so no spilling.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to newtoscrapping2011

I always take a ton of paper -- I've never figured out how to do that kit thing. I leave home the stickles and embossing powders -- too messy to use at a crop.

And I hope Rebecca (byondbzr) doesn't read this -- I also leave home the paints. Not enough time to dry. I really like to take my most frequently used items.

I get a ziploc for my ribbons. I don't take full spools. I keep a bag of cut ribbon (about 18 inches) to take.

Look at your completed pages -- take what you use the most frequently. If there's an item you used 2 or 3 times a year -- Leave it home.

Dasha
Dasha 
Veteran
Dasha
  • Dasha on 03-10-11 11:07 AM
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
  • Dasha Said:

Do that BEFORE you go, so you can spend time creating and socializing, rather than planning.

This is my biggest hurdle!! I am spending sooo much time planning that I end up getting only 5 pages done...and we're there ALL day!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Dasha

I'm like you, it can take me hours to choose papers for a page-so the evenings leading up to a crop I sit and make page kits with several options for pps and cs. If I know of embellies that I know for sure I want to try I add those to the kits, but I usually avoid bringing my embellies and do that latter after the crop.

I always overestimate how much work I can get done in a day just in case. I try to plan designs out in advance so I can do any die cutting in advance and can avoid hauling my cricut, but my big shot usually comes along anyway.

I bring my tool tote with me, and I usually end up hauling most of my distress inks along to use on the pps. I also bring any shape cutters that I use a lot (mainly circles). And then of course extra adhesive, that way any shopping I do is for fun stuff and not for adhesive!

Dasha
Dasha 
Veteran
Dasha
  • Dasha on 03-10-11 12:27 PM
In response to MrsAnnieS

Ok, ladies, I'm conviced. The thought of having my designs already planned out and my papers/embellies picked out is soooooo nice!!

I will have to do some serious thinking tonight and tomorrow night and only bring the stuff I truly need. My friend is bringing her Cricut and I'm bringing the Gypsy, I will definitely bring my tote full of inks, tools and stickles and some extra solid CS but that's IT!

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011
In response to Dasha

the person running my crop is the one who told me to bring the sealable cup...so that rule doesnt apply to my LSS crop...thank goodness...I drink ALOT!!! (i think i sound like a lush HAHA)

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to newtoscrapping2011

• newtoscrapping2011 Said:
the person running my crop is the one who told me to bring the sealable cup...so that rule doesnt apply to my LSS crop...thank goodness...I drink ALOT!!! (i think i sound like a lush HAHA)

We crop at someone's house. It's always been OUR rule --no drinks ON THE TABLE (unless they are in drink holders).

Whether the hostess said it's okay or not, I would voluntarily ask everyone to do that. If SOMEONE else knocked their drink over on your layout .... ???
Products Referenced in This Post:

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Dasha

my two tips...

Tip #1 leave it in the car
Bring it...but leave it in the car.
Example: If you just can't part with bringing EVERY piece of pattern paper you own...bring them but leave them in the car.

Tip #2 leave it home
There are just certain things that require too many supplies to do at crops or you have too many supplies. Example: I have too many stamping supplies so I leave them all at home. I just resign myself to the fact that I can't bring it all so I pick & choose.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Good tips Gelidy!

Some things I just wouldn't try to do at a crop --- anything requiring long drying time; heat embossing; computer journaling.

Those things I do ahead of time, or later.

If I HAD a diecutting machine, I would definitely NOT take it to a crop.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Bxr-Linda

and then there is the embellishment box. Even though I can take to a crop who wants to risk dumping ALL of their embellishments....

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
and then there is the embellishment box. Even though I can take to a crop who wants to risk dumping ALL of their embellishments....

Well, I DO take mine. My brads and eyelets are in the little tic-tac style boxes, tucked inside my tote. I really like that, because they DON'T spill, and travel easily.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Bxr-Linda

I have it down to a science (for me, that is). I bring one rolling tote and one tool caddy. One trip in, one trip out.

If I'm going to a lss, I will just bring my tools, my container of brads/eyelets/flowers, and photos. I will buy everything else at the store. The last time I did this I got 7 layouts done and spent $20.

If I'm not at an lss, I will also bring a stack of cardstock, coordinating patterned papers and embellies that I pick out ahead of time to go with my photos. My fav thing to do is work on themed albums or projects. It makes the packing easier.

I also don't fret about leaving anything at home. I can always add finishing touches at home.

As for drinks....I once saw a woman knock a large coffee all over another woman's layouts, photos, everything. So much was ruined!

Edited by Luvmyfam on 03-10-11 05:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

MisasMom
Resident
MisasMom
In response to Bxr-Linda

It took me quite a while to learn to pack light for crops. Each time I went it got easier. Now I make page kits and bring the tools I use the most and can just carry a small tote with it all and have enough to stay busy. Some of my most creative LO's have been done at crops because I am forced to use my brain and the limited supplies I have with me. If there is something you don't have with you, bring some sticky notes to remind you of what you want to add when you get home. Now I look at the croppers who bring their entire room with them for a weekend crop and am so glad I don't do that any more. It also makes it easier to unpack after a crop too!!

Spooky29
Tenant
Spooky29
In response to MisasMom

I pack to go to a crop like I pack for vacation....way too much for the amount of time I will be there. One day I will become organized.

candie_girl84
Tenant
candie_girl84
In response to Spooky29

you and me both.. I try to organize my stuff and it doesnt always work. I try to make page kits but when I think I got it I get a whole new idea.
The same thing happens with my craft room I try to organize it and then I hate how it looks so I tear it all out and reorganize it the way that I want.
I am the host this Saturday for a crop so I have to take my cricut, my cricut expression, my sizzix my cardstock.. I get to pack like a vacation since I am the host.. this is going to be fun. This is the first crop that I have ever done. I know that a lot of people that are coming to my crop are a bunch of newbies to the scrapbooking world. I can't wait this is going to be so exciting.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics