Username Post: ciWhat does glimmer mist spray do?        (Topic#1554869)
NoWomanNoCry
Resident
NoWomanNoCry

How do you use it? I have a recipe on how to make it at home, was wondering just how to go about using it on LO, I would think it would bleed and look a mess...thanks

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to NoWomanNoCry

It does bleed, and it does make a mess, but that's the point!

It's one of those mediums that you have to play around with to get the look that you want, but never expect perfection.

You should swirl, not shake the bottle (or the glitter will clog the nozzle). Then spray in short bursts, long bursts, sweeping motions, straight on, heavy, light, any way you can think of. Different approaches give you different results.

I like to spray it directly onto chipboard, flowers or ribbon to get the color that I want.

There are a lot of threads about glimmer mist here in the forums. Just use the search key to get even more information.

NoWomanNoCry
Resident
NoWomanNoCry
In response to Luvmyfam

thanks..i looked up the uses and i like the look but i think im going to have to play around with it..my recipe didnt call for glitter though it was just paint, water, alchohol, Aileens clear glue and warm water..should I add the glitter or with it not spray out?

afilatreau
Pro
afilatreau
In response to NoWomanNoCry

I have added paint that already had glitter in it to my homemade glimmer mists and it has so far, not clogged my sprayers.

However, most people that make glimmer mist don't add glitter to theirs. They put in mica powders and add glue as the binder, or Perfect Pearls, which is a mica powder that already has a binder added to it.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to afilatreau

I've never added glitter to my Glimmer Mists. I like them just the way they are, as imperfect as they sometimes spray. I don't mind the occasional blobs, because that's just part of the process. I work it into the LO or card and it becomes part of the art. When I wanna glitter, I use Stickles, one of my favorite toys!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to meezerpleaser

I use perfect pearls if I make glimmer mists at home, it adds a nice sheen to the mist, and it is just water and perfect pearls. I think if you added glitter it would block the nozzle..but I've never tried before

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to MrsAnnieS

I´ve used it like this! And yes it´s messy but gives a grungy look to your pages!

Diggin´Monsters By StrawberryPia

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to StrawberryPia

I made some last night for the first time after watching every tutorial that I could find. None of the tutorials mentioned using glitter and your glitter and shimmer effect comes from the mica powders and if you use a metallic paint or medium.

I used perfect pearls and some acrylic paint and water for mine as nobody around here carries the pearl ex in individual containers.

They say if you use the pearl ex to add a few drops of glue so that it will stick to your papers. I got a bottle of glossy accents as that was what somebody in one of the tutorials used that and I figured that if I liked this then i'd buy a set of the pearl ex as that's the only way it's sold around here. But also figured i'd use the glossy accents for many other things so I went ahead and bought that now.

But now i'm unsure what to do with it as well?

Also wondering what are other uses for these pearl powders by themselves?

Next month i'll try using some reinkers for my color as i'm just not really getting the color intensity that I want with the paints and I'm afraid to add too much more paint as I don't want the liquid to get too thick to spray.

Edited by Cindyckj on 03-11-11 06:47 AM. Reason for edit: added more

mschiddy
Resident
mschiddy
In response to Cindyckj

You can use Glimmer Mists for making really cool 3D handmade flower embellishments. How I do it is I cut the spiral out of cardstock that I'm going to make into a flower, then spray both sides of the cut with Glimmer Mist. Then I crumple it, uncrumple it, and coil it around a pen and shape it into a flower. There is enough glue in the Glimmer Mist that the flower becomes more sturdy/stiff and holds its shape, but you still can glue the bottom of the flower to hold it together.

The Glimmer Mist also adds a light, pearly sparkle and a touch of color.

I have examples of the 3D Glimmer Misted flowers in my gallery and on my website/blog.

fknapoleon
Pro
fknapoleon
In response to mschiddy

I like the sheen that glimmer mist adds. It adds a nice touch for both feminine and masculine layouts.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to fknapoleon

yeah the glimmer is not glitter.. its much more fine like a shimmery eye shadow. I use it on almost everything. I can change the enire color and feel of pages and embellishments.
I used it on here to change the color of the BG paper behind the photo,and changed the color of the lacy ribon .
Birthday Spooktacular By Planty

On this one I used it with a mask
My mom at 16 By Planty

added some color to the back ground here..
River fun By Planty

and I pretty much changed the entire color of the papers here with it..
We go together like flip and flop By Planty

I hope that shows you some of the things you can do. I started to spray the edges of my paper insetad of running a ink pad around the edges. I really like how that looks The main thing is to PLAY try it out you never know what you may like till you at least go all out and do it.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics