Username Post: xyron machine?        (Topic#1554881)
Tenant

why do I need this,and what can you tell me about it? I have been told I can use it to make my smallish cricut letters sticky?

I see there are a few sizes, the smaller two being in my price range. Is the smallest one sufficient, or should I go with the larger size?
I guess I'd mostly use it for letters, but I've been told it's great for gluing on vellum,too. I'd probably only use it for vellum I journaled on, or my vellum quotes.

angie girl
Diva
angie girl
In response to Amyinwi

Guess that depends on what you mean exactly by "smaller" size and "larger" size. They have a bunch of sizes.

I love mine, but I HATE buying refills for it! They're kind of expensive, IMO...even with a coupon.

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to angie girl

gyYup the refills can be expensive but I couldn't live without mine. It is great for adhering letters. If I can adhere items with glue dots that is what I use. But I couldn't scrap book without my xyron. I use the small (X) one -- it is indispensable.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to ncyankee

I love my X for my die cut letters. I also have the 510 which works great for some of my bigger letters/phrases or die cuts that are too intricut to use any other kind of adhesive.

I get all of my Xyron refills at Hobby Lobby so I always get them at 40-50% off depending on the sale or coupon--so I guess I've never thought of them as too expensive, especially considering how well it works.

Tenant
In response to HuskerMom98

thanks!
I guess I'm considering the smallest "x" machine, or the 5 inch (500?) I definitely dont' need anything larger than that. I will be checking them out at HL next time I'm there.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Amyinwi

I get all my X refills at M's (cheaper than J's) with a coupon. NEVER EVER pay full price!

I have the 510 or is it 500? And I don't like that one as much as the X. It tends to leave a lot of glue around the edges that I have to remove.

With the X, I run an embossing sylus around the edges of the die cut before I pull off the clear part. It works really well.

You'll love the X for putting down letters- basically anything smaller than 1.5" will fit in the slot. I find myself cutting my fonts so they'll fit in it so I don't have to use other adhesives.

KatieJo
Mayor
KatieJo
In response to Seaexplore

I also suggest the use of the embossing stylus. And another type of product I find helpful with any excess glue around the edge are the adhesive squares. But I do love using the X machine especially and the 5" size often enough to make me happy I have one of those too.
Products Referenced in This Post:

SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack
In response to KatieJo

I'm not sure why everybody is saying that the refills are so expensive. I have the X and I just bought two refills for it yesterday at Wal*Mart for $5 each.

Tenant
In response to SarahMack

I didn't think they were that expensive either.. unless you are using the machine for every little thing. If I remember correctly it is a 20 ft. roll?(maybe I'm mistaken) that should last awhile. I would mostly be using mine for small die cut letters, so I think a roll would last awhile.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Amyinwi

it really doesn't last nearly as long as you'd think it should because there's waste when you cut it. People use the refills without the machine and it saves some of the adhesive. Maybe an inch or so per time you use it. I guess that would add up. I like to "piggy back" my cutouts so they're in a long strip and then I cut them apart for different projects.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to Seaexplore

Thank you for this thread! I bought the little X today at Walmart and wanted to check here before I opened it. I was unsure because I only heard about the bigger ones and this little guy was only $8. I am very excited to try it now after the good things said on this thread! Thanks all!

Sue 67646
Idol
Sue 67646
In response to ktmracing

The little one is great to run ribbon threw...

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 04-19-11 05:31 PM
In response to Sue 67646

I use mine for alphabets, small embellies and ribbon Great little tool!

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to Bev1

I been using mine for years now. I have 3 X ones (my kids like them too), a 250 , a 510 AND a 900.

I learned that once I peel the clear layer off, ball it up and blot is onto the die cut, and it removes all the lil sticky bits.

Dianeaslm
Pro
Dianeaslm
In response to moonpuff

I find it much more cost effective and easier to just use my glue tape runner. Prefer the Scotch Glue Adhesive Runner and for little cut out letters I love my Zig adhesive pen. I use glue dots for heavier items like buttons. These work great! Just some ideas for you to consider. I don't like the waste of product on the Xyron and cleaning edges etc.
Have fun!

scrapperbee
Angel
scrapperbee
In response to Dianeaslm

I love my xyron X--probably on half my lops for alphas, embellies, and journaling vellum. I have the 250 but don't use it nearly as much. Have never felt a need for a larger one as my dotto, glue, dots, etc. work fine with them.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics