Username Post: Don't eat me!        (Topic#1554979)
New Kid On the Block

I know this is probably the most unconventional "scrapbooking" post yet, but this is the best place to ask.

I have a nice big scrapbook I had bought awhile ago with very good intentions, and just recently found. All I want to do is put the pictures in there, but without the scrapbooking and decorations.

Boring? Maybe a little, but I'm a fan of just being able to look at a whole bunch of pictures at once without all the extras, and to let them speak for themselves.

Right now, I don't know where to begin. All my pictures are older and I don't want to put them in there in a way that will ruin them or anything like that. Plus, I have a lot of memorabilia that I'd like to include.

What is the best way of going about doing this?

Thanks!!

jadoredior454
Pro
jadoredior454
In response to Torii S

One way to go about this is to mount the photos onto a page.For example, you could use solid colored cardstock and get some self adhesive photo corners and just place up to like 6 photos on one page if you wanted. No decorations or anthing. Just the photos placed on the paper...

Edited by jadoredior454 on 03-14-11 05:03 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to jadoredior454

maybe some room for journaling? (telling the story of the pictures),,,,,

you could mount the photos on card stock or patterned paper too if you wanted. there's tons of really nice "clean and simple" lay outs in the gallery

newtoscrapping2011
Diva
newtoscrapping2011
In response to Torii S

Like the previous posters said you can mount the pictures with corners that wont hurt your pictures. You can take them out at any time. This is what I do with all the pictures that I can't dupicate!

You do not need to add a ton of embellies in order to make a layout...Make it whatever you want. Good luck and hope this helps!

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to newtoscrapping2011

I've included some links below.

First, there are just a couple of basic examples of the photo corners suggested. They can get much more elaborate but you are probably wanting clear, black, white or basic metallic for your project. If you kept them the same throughout the book/album they would all be pretty unoffensive.

Second, for memorabilia you might want to consider putting some of it in pockets so that you can take it out and handle it. Also, larger sized photo corners will work well for this too.

You do want to be careful about acid content in your memorabilia papers. You don't want to be putting newspaper clippings or magazine article cut outs in with your photos or they may cause your photos to discolor over time - even possibly through the pages. Your choices are either to make copies, put them in the protective envelopes (not sure how long that protection will last) or spray them with something called archival mist (an expensive but useful product that this store apparently doesn't sell - thus, no link) that nullifies the acid in those papers and allows you to place them safely next to photos. It can take some time (years for your pictures to turn due to acid - but I've seen it happen in as few as two). If you are very concerned by this you can also purchase an acid testing pen or place the memorabilia in entirely separate album.

Third and finally, if your objects don't have acid on them... or if you choose to include journaling strips, you can apply those with simple mounting squares or tape runners. If you do a lot of this you might consider upgrading to something called an ATG (large tape gun) but these are cheaper alternatives to get you started and probably a better choice if you aren't going to adhere a lot of items to your album pages in this way. You can also use them for photo placement but removing the photos from the album of course becomes more difficult.

Edited by KatieJo on 03-13-11 10:18 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

KatieJo
Governor
KatieJo
In response to KatieJo

These are examples of a few of the other products mentioned.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to KatieJo

If you just want strictly photos and a few momentos, why not just use these? You can also use these for photos and have a different page to store momentos. Personally, if all I wanted was a book of photos and places for some odds and ends, I would just do this route - no need to buy all the paper, adhesive, etc. Just stick everything in the slots.

moonpuff
Guru
moonpuff
In response to Here Kitty

LOL.. I was just going to suggest the AC photo pockets.

Monique_McCoy
Idol
Monique_McCoy
In response to moonpuff

I went to a weekend crop recently and the lady who sat next to me is the same way. She just put her pics out, used pretty paper, and her pages were absolutely beautiful. She'd use a title but never journals. She told me that my pages didn't have to be overly embellished to be beautiful....she was so right! Do what you feel is best, your pages will still be beautiful.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Torii S

a million years ago I used to just mount my photos on colored paper. Often there is a common color in a group of photos that will bring out the best in the photos.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
If you just want strictly photos and a few momentos, why not just use these? You can also use these for photos and have a different page to store momentos. Personally, if all I wanted was a book of photos and places for some odds and ends, I would just do this route - no need to buy all the paper, adhesive, etc. Just stick everything in the slots.

Ditto this!!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to meezerpleaser

I'm with Amy (Here Kitty).

Depending on the type of album you have, use the various types of page protectors, and simply insert your photos and memorabilia.

jadoredior454
Pro
jadoredior454
In response to Bxr-Linda

• Bxr-Linda Said:
I'm with Amy (Here Kitty).

Depending on the type of album you have, use the various types of page protectors, and simply insert your photos and memorabilia.

great idea! would save time as well as achieve the look she's going for :-)

cdynan
cdynan 
Resident
cdynan
In response to Gelidy Gelato

• Gelidy Gelato Said:
a million years ago I used to just mount my photos on colored paper. Often there is a common color in a group of photos that will bring out the best in the photos.

I was scrolling to the bottom to say this exact thing. I still have my scrapbook from 40 years ago of all the birthday cards my grandmother sent me that I mounted just by themselves. You can slao use these to put photos with the same theme together.

Edited by cdynan on 03-18-11 04:43 PM. Reason for edit: added line to product.

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to cdynan

I agree if you dont want the hassle of scrappin..Photo pockets are the best way to go. With so many varieties, you can get exactly what you need. Good luck.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics