Username Post: Glimmer mist - am I doing something wrong?        (Topic#1555223)
J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 03-17-11 07:54 AM

I've just recently bought some glimmer mist with the idea of using it on a layout of my son's Christmas card pic from this year. However, while test spraying it, it seems that I'm constantly getting big droplets on the paper and I'm looking for a fine misting sheen. I've tried swirling instead of shaking, I've tried misting from different distances, I've tried misting holding the paper up and with it laying flat on the table, and no difference, still the big droplets. What am I doing wrong? Is there a trick to eliminate the droplets? I'd rather not spray it on my paper and ruin it until I know I can get it right because I've been drooling over this paper for weeks and am so excited to use it

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to J-M

First, make sure your sprayer is clear. Run it under hot water, mist it so the tube is clear of any liquids and glimmer. You can use canned air to blow out the nozzle.

You can shake the bottle, it won't clog it up, I don't care what people say, I have been shaking those bottles like crazy with no problems stemming from that.

You are going to get the odd large droplet, misting is not a perfect science. But, the quicker you spray the nozzle, the less large droplets you will get. I recommend quick sprays with a sweeping motion to get smaller drops and slow sprays right over the paper for bigger drops.

You may have to accept a few big drops.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Manda_K

Manda is the misting queen so she definitely knows what she's talking about! The only thing I have to add, when you spray, be sure to commit to the spray, no little half spritz or you could get drips from the nozzle

Seamaiden
Guru
Seamaiden
In response to Manda_K

I have never had good luck getting a fine spray with TA. I now make my own with perfect pearls and TH reinkers. But, you can transfer it in to a smaller mister. They work awesome!!!!

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to MrsAnnieS

• MrsAnnieS Said:
Manda is the misting queen so she definitely knows what she's talking about! The only thing I have to add, when you spray, be sure to commit to the spray, no little half spritz or you could get drips from the nozzle

Awww, you are sweet.

Yes, you must commit!! You don't want dribbles.

Seamaiden
Guru
Seamaiden
In response to Manda_K

Manda is right too! Sweeping helps as does how far you hold it over the page, and commitment is key!!!! I just find I like a finer mist for some projects, then I us my mini mister.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Seamaiden

sweeping is the key if you want a fine, even mist. Also, start your spray off your paper. Then all the drops end up next to. And definitely commit. push that spray nozzle all the way and go for it.

J-M
J-M 
Idol
J-M
  • J-M on 03-17-11 10:21 AM
In response to Nancy Keslin

How far should I be holding it from the paper? Do you lay the paper flat on the table and spray from above or hold the paper up?

Seamaiden
Guru
Seamaiden
In response to J-M

If you want it to go off the paper then ocver a surface with newspaper. Place the paper you want to spray on top. How far above the sheet depends on the amount of coverage you want. Try practicing a few times to get a feel on some cheap paper...

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to Seamaiden

I like the big drops myself, but I'm all messy and crazy like that.

byondbzr
Queen
byondbzr
In response to byondbzr

Oh and if you make a "happy little accident", just cover it with part of your design as you build your page! Who hasn't done that at least once? lolz

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to Seamaiden

A few inches from the paper is best, maybe 6-8 or so. I put the paper flat on a non-stick mat or in an old box.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to Manda_K

I always spray mine in a box - I want to make sure the overspray is contained! As has been said, commit to the spray. Don't be tentative. That said, I've come to accept the odd drop or two and cover them when I can but leave them when I can't. I figure it's all art!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to meezerpleaser

Or, if you WANT the drops, don't commit and be very tentative. :P

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to Manda_K

• Manda_K Said:
First, make sure your sprayer is clear. Run it under hot water, mist it so the tube is clear of any liquids and glimmer. You can use canned air to blow out the nozzle.

You can shake the bottle, it won't clog it up, I don't care what people say, I have been shaking those bottles like crazy with no problems stemming from that.

You are going to get the odd large droplet, misting is not a perfect science. But, the quicker you spray the nozzle, the less large droplets you will get. I recommend quick sprays with a sweeping motion to get smaller drops and slow sprays right over the paper for bigger drops.

Seriously we NEED a "like" button
I shake the heck out of mine and when I want drops.. I get them. When I don't, I do not get them.

I personally love the random drops and splats.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to planty

I found some neat empty smallish trigger spray bottles for a buck a piece at dollar general. the bottles are colored so you can't see the true color of the spray till you spray it but they have an adjustable nozzle on them to adjust to a finer mist.

Just an idea. lol

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to planty

• planty Said:
  • Manda_K Said:

Seriously we NEED a "like" button
I shake the heck out of mine and when I want drops.. I get them. When I don't, I do not get them.

I personally love the random drops and splats.

I shake the sheet out of mine too! LOL

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics