Username Post: Ink pads for beginners        (Topic#1555541)
New Kid On the Block

I am currently buying everything for scrapbooking and card making needs and was wondering what ink pads would you recommend for stamping and embossing? Are there separate ink pads for embossing? All in all, what are your recommendations for beginners? I wanted to get inks in brown/chocolate/black/cof fee tones.

The only one I have heard of is Versa Mark brand.

Sparklecoon
Tenant
Sparklecoon
In response to urenitsar

Distress inks work great! I use them for inking and stamping. I know they also work for embossing as well.

What your going to want also depends on what you want to do with them as some inks are instantly permanant and some (like Distress) offer you a little bit of time to work with them before they set.

Hopefully someone else will come along and give you some more help.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Sparklecoon

Thanks, I didn't know that Distress inks could be used for stamping. What is the difference between inking and stamping? I'm really not familiar with all the vocab (sorry )
I just need good inks for stamping (stamps like Happy Birthday, Friendship....etc) and also to emboss those stamps.

Edited by urenitsar on 03-22-11 08:29 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Lauri D
Diva
Lauri D
In response to urenitsar

If you go under the video tab you can search for ink videos. Here's one for Tim Holtz, also check out his website to get familiar with his products they are really cool!

http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/?m=view&v= 441&c...

Unique scrapper
Veteran
Unique scrapper
In response to urenitsar

I think that the difference between inking and stamping is that stamping is just that--stamp. Inking is when you kind of "stain" the edges of your papers or embellies or both. It can add a little "pop" to whatever you are working on.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Unique scrapper

Here's a good video about inks:
http://www.scrapbook.com/videos/887.html

There IS special ink for embossing. The biggest difference is that it dries slower, so you have time to apply embossing powder and heat.

You may want to check out the stamping forum here for more info.

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to Bxr-Linda

You can use any color of pigment ink to emboss. It dries slower, therefore making it easy to apply the embossing powder. If you prefer to stamp with clear ink and then use the colored embossing powder, Versa-Mark is a good ink to use.

Dye ink dries faster & is not good for embossing.
Products Referenced in This Post:

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to flintridgescrapper

After years of scrapping, I have just recently ordered my first pigment ink pads. They arrive tomorrow. Very excited, and happy to know that there is something available to counter my disappointment with dye ink pads. Anything special I should know about pigment ink?

flintridgescrapper
Diva
flintridgescrapper
In response to aquabunny

It takes longer to dry, and on some surfaces, it never does. The 1st time I used it was in my wedding album. I was stamping flourishes, and some of it overlapped the pics! Never did dry! Had to carefully wipe it off! Major fail!

New Kid On the Block
In response to flintridgescrapper

Great advice on the difference between pigment and dye inks. Thanks all!
I bought Memories dye inks and Color box (cat's eye) pigment inks.

Edited by urenitsar on 03-25-11 10:25 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to urenitsar

I bought Adirondack Lights in Juniper (dye pad) and the print from it is very very pale, if any. SHould it be like this? Or is the stamp dry? It was sealed and everything.

Vintageivy
Veteran
Vintageivy
In response to urenitsar

I do not have a lot of experience with ink but recently a card making friend showed me how to "ink" around the edges of journaling blocks, etc. I can't believe what a difference just rubbing the cardstock journal block on the ink pad makes! The journaling block really pops of the page. I have had great luck with the Tim Holtz Distress ink pads and they have a great color selection. Happy scrapping and inking too!!

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to urenitsar

• urenitsar Said:
I bought Adirondack Lights in Juniper (dye pad) and the print from it is very very pale, if any. SHould it be like this? Or is the stamp dry? It was sealed and everything.

I would go to their website and check out the product reviews and see what it has to say-- If the pad is moist then likely it is just a very light dye. Trey it on different colors of paper, too-- some look better on an off white to creme than on a pure white.

terrihooper
Mayor
terrihooper
In response to terrihooper

I have Tim Holtz distress inks (about 20 colors), Colorbox (both cat's eyes and the circle with pies shaped pieces), Stampin' up, CTMH and a variety of others. My FAVORITES for stamping are the CTMH (Close to my Heart). I have a friend that sells CTMH and I get them from her. Th TH Distress inks are my favorite for all other inking I do--
I use versamark for embossing.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to urenitsar

I would be careful about buying everything at once. I've only just gotten back into card making and stamping about 6 months ago, and my ideas about what I like and my style have changed quite a bit already :-).

I like using by distress inks with the daubers or ink blending tool to mark the edges of paper or die cuts, or create a background on plain card. I had a lot of trouble using it for embossing though, so I went for the versamark watermark ink. The Ranger Perfect Medium works well too (I got a small pad with my perfect pearls).

I bought Versafine in black for stamping sentiments, and Stazon Jet Black for stamping on shiny cards (it even worked on the lid of my altered Milo tin).

I do plan to pick up more distress inks in the future, but I think I'll use them for backgrounds etc. I originally saw them all demonstrated at the local craft expo. If you're not sure, see if you can take a couple with you to a class and get them demonstrated. Then buy more of the type you think you'll use the most.

New Kid On the Block
In response to Christine19850

bought StazOn Solvent ink in black and brown. it says on the package that it's permanent, does that mean that my stamps will get stained permanently?

I wouldn't want that to happen. I just used one of my stamps to try the ink and the ink doesn't come off.

Thanks again, everyone!

PS: never mind, I think I wasn't pressing hard enough! It looks fine now (the stamp I mean, not as stained). I'm such a newbie to all this stuff! lol

Edited by urenitsar on 03-28-11 03:45 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to urenitsar

Terri, yes, it turned out that it was indeed a light ink by itself. Well, lesson learned.!
Thank you, Christine. I bought Stazon Jet black today.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to urenitsar

• urenitsar Said:
bought StazOn Solvent ink in black and brown. it says on the package that it's permanent, does that mean that my stamps will get stained permanently?

I wouldn't want that to happen. I just used one of my stamps to try the ink and the ink doesn't come off.

Thanks again, everyone!

PS: never mind, I think I wasn't pressing hard enough! It looks fine now (the stamp I mean, not as stained). I'm such a newbie to all this stuff! lol

Stazon will stain your stamps quite a bit. There is a Stazon stamp cleaner you can buy to get all the ink off. I don't worry about it since it doesn't affect how the stamps works. I actually like the staining on my clear stamps so that I can see the stamp after.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to urenitsar

No problems - I love my Stazon! I would recommend the cleaner though too. Just stamp off any excess ink when you're finished then spray or use the dauber top to apply the cleaner then remove. I find the ink doesn't really mark my clear stamps, but I do notice it on my red rubber ones, which is why I bought the cleaner. Happy stamping!

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse
In response to Christine19850

If you're using clear stamps, get some Clearly Better ink pads - they're awesome!! They're specially formulated for clear stamps so that they don't get that "dotted" appearance. I was skeptical at first, but they really do work well. If you already have a bunch of ink colors you love but they do the dotty thing, just stamp your clear stamp with Archival ink first, LET IT DRY, then stamp with your regular ink.

oldsusana
Tenant
oldsusana
In response to papermouse

I think black Staz On is a good all-around ink. It does stain your stamps and I like that. Makes the clear ones easier to find. LOL. In fact, sometimes I purposely stain them.....

For inking edges, I like distress ink and that foam tool that goes with them. Easy as pie.

bwasek
bwasek 
Expert
bwasek
In response to papermouse

great info here!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to bwasek

I like TH Distress pads for both inking and stamping. They don't give a crisp image, but that is the look I want for some of my projects. If I'm making a card or want a crisp image, I use Staz-On. I also love using Staz-On to stamp onto TH Fragments since you can stamp on any surface with it. I would say get a few different kinds of stamp pad and play around to see what you like best. Most of all - have fun!

New Kid On the Block
In response to Smashley

I'm a Staz On fan too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics