Username Post: Best method to apply distressing ink        (Topic#1555687)
Lorna Lee
Governor
Lorna Lee

I know that there has to be an easy to to give my paper that distress look. I have the distressing ink pads and have been experimenting but I know that there has to be something that you girls use. Any feed back is appreciated.

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee
In response to Lorna Lee

I use a ink stamper with felt on the ends... I cant remember especially what the thing is called I would have to look at mine when I get home but I love it

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to Lorna Lee

ft I love my distress inks! I bought the 2010 release colours as a set, but don't have any of the vintage shades (major oversight on my behalf!). I saw them being demonstrated at my local craft show.

There are heaps of techniques - some great videos on YouTube. You can use the ink blending tool to cover a large area or a dauber to work on a smaller area. The tip is to use a circular motion on a non-stick craft sheet or similar and gradually move onto your project - this prevents the shape of the blending tool being stamped onto your project.

You can also crumple up the paper, swipe the ink pad directly onto the raised ridges, then squirt with water using a mini mister before ironing with a craft iron. This also works with dry embossed cardstock.

There are heaps more options - I would suggest searching on YouTube - ranger have their own site and so does Tim Holtz. Hope this helps!

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to Lorna Lee

I like to use a cosmetic sponge or stipple brush and pounce the ink onto the paper.

Ami G
Ami G 
Diva
Ami G
  • Ami G on 03-30-11 02:10 PM
In response to PokeyMom

I use makeup wedges. Cheap and works great!

msdixie
Veteran
msdixie
In response to Ami G

i have the inkssentials applicator and sponges for every color but end up using the cheap makeup wedges. it's gentler on the paper i've just distressed, and wastes no ink (as opposed to swirling on/off the paper using the applicator). or you can use a round sponge cut into 1/4s; pinch the middle and secure it with a tiny binder clip. use one for every color. very easy and mess-free!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to msdixie

Depending on how strong of distress depends on what I use. the ink
Ranger Ink - Inkssentials - Ink Blending Foam Refills - For Ink Application and Blending
Ranger Ink - Inkssentials - Ink Blending Tool - For Ink Application and Blending will give you a softer line, using the pads direct to paper give you a harder line and usually a make up sponge will give you the softest line.

Gramma3x!!
Mayor
Gramma3x!!
In response to Sneezy1956

Great tips ladies!

obadiah
Queen
obadiah
In response to Gramma3x!!

Makeup pad-the little triangular ones-works great so you don't get too much on!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to obadiah

trianglular makeup sponges here,,,and when the end starts to fray and fall apart, , just snip it off with scissors and you have a brand new sponge surface!

KayMCee
Expert
KayMCee
In response to CommaHolly

Ditto on the makeup sponges! When I earn a freebie at Ulta, that's what I pick!

Great tips ladies!

Lorna Lee
Governor
Lorna Lee
In response to KayMCee

Thanks for all the tips. I have now found that I love using eyeshadow applicators. You can buy them in a pack of 10-12 with double ends. The long narrow ones are great to use on punched areas to highlight the design. I have tried all the above mentioned items and found these to work the best. I found them the other day in a large package containing 3 packs of 10 (or so) for less then $3.00 at Big Lots. I use a different one for each color and dispose of them when they get weak. Which does happen as they get paper cuts.

scrappycanuck1
Resident
scrappycanuck1
In response to Lorna Lee

Make up sponges are awesome for this!!!

studiocbychelsea
Pro
studiocbychelsea
In response to scrappycanuck1

I use sponges from stampin' up!, cut them into little wedges and label them for each color they work great!

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to studiocbychelsea

I have the tim holtz distressing tool and sponges. I keep my sponges in little plastic bags with the color of the ink on them I keep them on a ring and the ring is on the lid to the boxes I keep my distressing ink sin. It works wonderful for me.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics