Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Did you ever....        (Topic#1555873)
Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee

make a gift for someone and then wish you hadn't? I made a great mini album for my cousin and his new bride as a wedding gift. It's black and white and sooooo cute!!! Now I'm wishing I had kept it and just bought them something!!!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Vallee

why?? was it because they didn't appreciate it, or because you liked it so much? I give so many away that I love,,,

but I can always make another for meeeeee,,,PLUS it will be BETTER, cuz once I make one of that shape/style/kind I have worked the bugs out

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to CommaHolly

It was because I liked it so much!! The more I worked on it and added to it, the more I wanted to keep it.

But I do see your point about working out all the kinks. I did figure out a few things that I would do differently.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Vallee

don't feel bad. I have the same problem with vacation gifts. By the time I get home I have decided to keep most of the gifts for myself. To this day every time I put on a certain necklace/earrings I think about how I purchased them for a friend... At least you didn't keep it.

CSMmom
CSMmom 
Expert
CSMmom
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Yes. I've made albums for my MIL and SIL and wish I hadn't bothered. My MIL seemed to really like it at first but I noticed it was gone and did a little snooping and found it in a drawer (in the living room and had I been looking for batteries or a remote or something like that I would have discovered it. I didn't search bedrooms or anything like that). My SIL's is shoved in a drawer too. I didn't even have to snoop. I was there, noticed it wasn't out anywhere and when my nieces went looking for a specific book, the album was at the bottom of the pile in the drawer they were digging through.

I put a lot of time into those. They never give me ideas for bday/mother's day gifts or what they do suggest is way out of my budget so I spent a lot of time on these. Wish I had just worked on my own albums instead!

Edited by CSMmom on 03-28-11 03:01 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to CSMmom

I used to make things for my MIL and SIL but do not bother any more. My MIL took my pages apart and glued her own photos in and on the backs of the pages too.. THEN she didn't want the book anymore and gave it to my SIL as a gift..

My SIL left it in her old house while I helped her move. I almost took it back but my hubby said I shouldn't and to just leave it be. I did manage to move it to her new house. BUT she only stayed there for 2 weeks and decided to move again.

My husband and I did the walk thru for her and my album was left in the back of the closet. Again I was going to keep it but he took it back to her..
I personally was going to take the butchered pages out and put the ones from my HUGE stack of pages that have no album in there. I can always use an album.

Oh and my SIL is always saying how she loves the little wall plaques I make... so I made her one last Easter that I think she re-gifted; because I didn't see it at all when we helped her move. I liked it so had I known I would have kept it..

Edited by planty on 03-28-11 04:46 PM. Reason for edit: lousy spelling

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to planty

I made an awesome shabby chic altered frame, with bling and Primas for DSS's GF for her birthday.....little tramp broke up with him 5 days later....you better believe I texted her and told her to GIVE IT BACK!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ScrappyMama6

did she??????? give it back, I mean?

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to CommaHolly

It'll be here tomorrow, sent home with DSS. I dont care if its catty or not....5 days after your bday is still a reasonable return window in my eyes. Especially for something I spent time and money on. The DSS did nothing.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to ScrappyMama6

I do it all the time, but I figure the more I love it the more it will mean if I give it away..if that makes sense. Plus I usually just make myself something similar later if I really loved it that much-and it always turns out even better!

8cutekids2scrap
Idol
8cutekids2scrap
In response to MrsAnnieS

I too have made gifts for others that I wish I had kept for myself,they didnt seem to like them as much as i did I guess because i was thinking of how much time and love i had put into making it special just for them. I have now decided to only make things for the ones that enjoy the same things i do ,like homemade gifts,I think they will truly appreciate the meaning more...

VickieW
Resident
VickieW
In response to CSMmom

• CSMmom Said:
Yes. I've made albums for my MIL and SIL and wish I hadn't bothered. My MIL seemed to really like it at first but I noticed it was gone and did a little snooping and found it in a drawer (in the living room and had I been looking for batteries or a remote or something like that I would have discovered it. I didn't search bedrooms or anything like that). My SIL's is shoved in a drawer too. I didn't even have to snoop. I was there, noticed it wasn't out anywhere and when my nieces went looking for a specific book, the album was at the bottom of the pile in the drawer they were digging through.

I put a lot of time into those. They never give me ideas for bday/mother's day gifts or what they do suggest is way out of my budget so I spent a lot of time on these. Wish I had just worked on my own albums instead!

Two words for this problem--gift cards, and not to somewhere fun either.

Kozy Scraps
Pro
Kozy Scraps
In response to VickieW

DD made a sb page about her and her dad. She made it to go into a shadow box frame. DD put a very sweet handwritten letter about how she is happy that he finally decided to be a part of her life. I do not know if it was him or his wife, but someone took out DD's picture and letter. The frame now holds their daughter and a handwritten letter from her. This was the very first fathers day gift DD had ever had the chance to give him and she really wanted it to be special. So I was hesitant when DD wanted to make a mini for her sister's birthday last December. She made TP album that only cost me $10.00 bucks if that.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Kozy Scraps

I have made a couple exploding boxes that came out well and I wish I had kept them. But, the recipient really enjoys them and keeps them on her bookshelf to look at often, so I guess it's good I gave them away. I no longer make things for my in-laws because they just don't appreciate them. I have learned to only give handmade items to people who request them or who I know will like and appreciate them.

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to Kozy Scraps

• Kozy Scraps Said:
DD made a sb page about her and her dad. She made it to go into a shadow box frame. DD put a very sweet handwritten letter about how she is happy that he finally decided to be a part of her life. I do not know if it was him or his wife, but someone took out DD's picture and letter. The frame now holds their daughter and a handwritten letter from her. This was the very first fathers day gift DD had ever had the chance to give him and she really wanted it to be special. So I was hesitant when DD wanted to make a mini for her sister's birthday last December. She made TP album that only cost me $10.00 bucks if that.

Pam, This story brought tears to my eyes. How can someone be so evil... I am so sorry this happened to your daughter's gift. What they did was downright cruel. I really hate to be suggesting this but if you had the chance I would steal it back or knock it off the wall. opps it broke

what they did was so wrong on so many levels.

Gramma3x!!
Mayor
Gramma3x!!
In response to Gelidy Gelato

It's a real shame that some people simply have no class whatsoever, and can hurt the people who have gone to so much trouble and time, making something that should be kept forever. (Especially their own child.. grrr). I too have given handmade, 'special' gifts for people who have either given them away, or just don't use or display them for whatever reason.

Gramma3x!!
Mayor
Gramma3x!!
In response to Gramma3x!!

If I notice anything 'shady' after I have given something, that person just doesn't get anything handmade again. I agree with Vicki and just go for the gift cards.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to VickieW

• VickieW Said:
  • CSMmom Said:

Two words for this problem--gift cards, and not to somewhere fun either.

This is the best idea ever

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to Gramma3x!!

My mother is one that I've given albums to and she doesn't like them. She says that they're not really "creative" because of the purchased embellies. Grrrrr. You can bet she doesn't get anything but gift cards any more.

My cousin, on the other hand, loves the paperbag cat album that I made for her and keeps it prominantly displayed in her den. And she keeps all the cards that I send her, too. So she gets more handmade items!

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to meezerpleaser

I made an album for my MIL for Xmas (with the store bought gifts we got her) out of an 8x8 album (kind of like the one pctured below but pink)I purchased that had the cardstock pages already in it and an opening in the front for a special pic or title. It was kind of last minute like the week before Xmas so I spent many nights that week up past my normal bedtime searching through piles of old photos of my kids to copy and the hundreds of photos in my computer to print,making sure to pick the perfect ones from my kids lives up to now. They are 13 and 8 so it was lots of photos. I then had to dig through my enormous stash of paper to find patterns that coordinated with the color of the cardstock pages. Anyways after getting it all together with all the hours it took I was really proud of how good it came out considering the rush to finish it. My MIL is not an involved grandparent so I thought she would Love it and all the pics of the girls growing through the years. I gave it her, she flipped through it and I got nothing! Not even a look how cute the pics were or a comment on the changes in the girls from babies to present. I was not a happy camper on the way home. My husband said "give her time to sit and look at it she'll call and thank you I am sure." It's almost the end of March and I haven't heard from her at all. I guess this year she'll get a gift card or a 12 pack of beer I know I'll get a thanks then....lol
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by SarahWscraps on 03-29-11 12:36 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics