Page 1 of 3 
Username Post: Money Saving Tips...        (Topic#1556437)
JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne

As I am sure all of us know, Scrapbooking can be one expensive hobby. I am always looking to save a buck, and am constantly telling myself, 'If I can make it, don't buy it'...unless I am going to use it as a pattern. I try to make my own embellishments (flowers, tags, cut-outs, etc), look through thrift stores and antique markets for trinkets that will work and get up early on the weekends for garage sales. Do you have any money saving tips you want to pass along?

PokeyMom
Pro
PokeyMom
In response to JazzieLynne

There is a list of money saving tips in the Resources.

Money Saving Tips

Gelidy Gelato's MB Topic list -- has plenty of ideas from various collected threads.

Good luck.

leslief
Idol
leslief
In response to PokeyMom

Discontinued wallpaper books-- especially children's rooms design (they're usually brighter).
Can't get better than FREE!

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to leslief

That is a fantastic idea...and you're right, free is pretty good.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing

What I have been doing is exchanging with a friend things we don't need like papers, embellishments, half used sticker sheets...much better than doing any swaps that involve postage and we both have fun making the trades.

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to ktmracing

I like the idea of trading unloved supplies.
There are also tons of things you have around the house that work wonderfully: paper clips, staples, all other kinds of office supplies like tags, labels, etc...acrylic paints, sponges or other items to make a pattern with, old cards, buttons, ribbons, fabric, soda can tabs. I've seen people use their son's toy cars and run the tires through ink and then make a pattern on the paper.
I also like to make as much as I can with paper and have pretty much done everything I can: sew, crumple, ink, tear, paint, bleach, make flowers, borders, etc... I now buy a lot of tools to do more things to it.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to gluemore girl

I always look at the hardware or office supply store for tools before I resort to buying the "craft" version. I also make a lot of my own embellishments. I design my own scrapbook papers a lot of times specifically for my own projects and print them on good quality matte brochure paper or matte photo paper. I buy my ribbon and trims at the fabric store most of the time. I buy clear rhinestones and use my Copic (or Sharpies or Bic Mark Its) to colour them to match my projects. I use Liquid Pearls instead of flat back pearls. That way I get whatever size I need without having to buy a bunch of different sizes. I always go to my scraps to see if I have a piece I can use there before I cut a new piece of cardstock or patterned paper. I make my own glimmer mists with re-inkers & Perfect Pearls or metallic paint. I found the one thing that saves me the most money is to shop my stash first and only if I absolutely don't have anything that will work for my project, then I'll buy what I need.

Hayley2505
Resident
Hayley2505
In response to cat_woman

i like using old cereal boxes to cut/punch shapes and then doodle on them. it's also a good way to reuse them, and cardboard matches everything.

NoWomanNoCry
Resident
NoWomanNoCry

• gluemore girl Said:
I like the idea of trading unloved supplies.
There are also tons of things you have around the house that work wonderfully: paper clips, staples, all other kinds of office supplies like tags, labels, etc...acrylic paints, sponges or other items to make a pattern with, old cards, buttons, ribbons, fabric, soda can tabs. I've seen people use their son's toy cars and run the tires through ink and then make a pattern on the paper.
I also like to make as much as I can with paper and have pretty much done everything I can: sew, crumple, ink, tear, paint, bleach, make flowers, borders, etc... I now buy a lot of tools to do more things to it.

Great Idea!!!! I like that!

I know alot of people use $ store flowers take them apart and use them on LO's. I make my own glimmer mist thanks to the ladies on youtube..also flowers out of cupcake cups got that off youtube as well.

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to NoWomanNoCry

The glimmer mist... now I will have to look that up! Excited. These are wonderful ideas!! I have done some of them. Keep them coming.

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee

I use cereal boxes as thin chip board for backing on tags and things

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

Jazzie I see from your number of post that you may be new to the board. Your question is by far the most asked question on the board. It get's asked like clockwork every two or three weeks. This is why you may not get a lot of responses. I see someone has already posted some past threads on the same subject.
I wish I could add something new on the subject but as I mention is comes up so often we all are repeating ourselves and repeating ourselves and repeating ourselves...

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to Gelidy Gelato

Sorry, don't mean to make you repetitive... I find the responses that I have been getting very helpful. Thankful for those.

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl

I think it's a good reminder. I've been scrapping for a long time and I forget about certain techniques so I don't mind it at all.
I am new to this board but have had this question posted on others that I've been on. Like I said, good reminders and good tips!

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl

speaking of that , I thought of another... aluminum foil over chipboard shapes (or cereal box shapes) to make metallic accents.

lylacfey
Resident
lylacfey

I have posted quite a few money saving tips over here and other forums too. It's my favorite subject so I love for it to come up. A lot of times I get new tips.

Buy white or clear and then alter, dye, or reink it to make your own custom colors.

Google Frugal. Every time I want to make my own anything I always turn to Google and type in frugal, make your own or do it yourself.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to lylacfey

coupons coupons coupons

I never buy anything at the big box stores unless I have a 50% off coupon (the 40% off ones get trashed)

JazzieLynne
Veteran
JazzieLynne
In response to madmatter

Thank you ladies... I was feeling bad, but I have to say, I have learned a few things from you...
Thanks again.

scrapnread
Guru
scrapnread

In the long run, my Cricut Expression has been a money saver for me. I use so much that I don't even buy stickers and alphabet letters anymore. In fact, I saw a Jolee's sticker at Joann's, took a picture of it with my camera phone, then went home and created a similar one with my E and stuff from my stash. Also, my kids and husband have all used my E for cards, school and jobs so it is useful for the whole family.
Products Referenced in This Post:

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to scrapnread

I buy old books at thrift stores. I use the pages in alot of my projects. This LO has a page from a Hymnal I scored at a thrift store.
First ink By Planty

This LO has a page from a botanical book I had while in college.. It also has lace that I got at a thrift store.
Janna an Tiff By Planty

another LO with a book page..also I made the flowers and the leaves are from a dollar tree flower bunch I picked up..

Titan By Planty

This page has crape paper like you put up at a kids party.. I love that it comes in a million colors I use it on all sorts of things.
Mom and Daughter Disney Trip. By Planty

Crape paper for a banner
Birthday Spooktacular By Planty

and I get those paper doilies at dollar tree.. you can color them with glimmer mist or inks.. they are cheap and come in many sizes and shapes.

Um I dont think so By Planty

Do not forget about Buttons, and lace trim or fabric. You can get left over bits of lace trim and fabric from old out grown stuff Or from stuff at Thrift stores. Or buy it cheap at places like walmart. they usually have a bin with the ends of bolts.

I hope that helps you a little.. It's always nice to see how people have USED the stuff they get cheap..

Page 1 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics