Username Post: name of a shape        (Topic#1556769)
New Kid On the Block

I am learning about different shapes and their names. I was wondering, what is the name for this shape in the attached picture?

Thanks

New Kid On the Block
In response to urenitsar

and also, are there separate punches for this shape, just like there is a scallop punch or circle punch?

New Kid On the Block
In response to urenitsar

Another question about punches,
are there such things as Tag punches and heart punches? If yes, which would you recommend?

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato
In response to urenitsar

that shape sometimes goes by the name brackets because it is 2 brackets {} or the name shield.

Punches come in lots of shapes, some very specific. Often you can pick up used punches very inexpensively because people have "upgraded" to a cutting machine which replaces the need for most punches.

As a beginner, I would suggest some of the standard punch shapes that you think you will use often. circles, squares, scallop circle, tags, etc.
An then really think twice about the specific punches like ...a butterfly...yes I will use this over & over. Frog wearing a hat...ahh maybe no I will only use this once or twice better to just cut one out with scissors.

Hope that helps
And often Local Scrapbook Stores (LSS) have punches they will let you use for free. Just ask. I have gone into the LSS and just punched a bunch of halloween themed items to use later.
punch a bunch

sunrenay
Guru
sunrenay
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I think that looks like it could be made with a Spellbinders Nestability but I could very easily be wrong.

armygirl
Diva
armygirl
In response to sunrenay

Stampin up sells somethng like this they call it "Top Note" Die and it is made for the Big Shot

I saw it on their site and at Splitcoast stampers site too. HTH.

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to armygirl

There are multitudes of various basic shapes available from different vendors. The punches come in different styles and sizes. Many of them may punch out shapes that are identical or very similar to each other. If you can compare them at a store, see which one fits your style (and hand) better. The prices may also vary from one brand to another.

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850
In response to urenitsar

I love my nestabilities - I have a square set that looks like this - it's called "labels one". I've put the links for some of the others - they're not exact but similar. Kaisercrafts "Georgian" covers look a bit like this shape too (I used them for the wedding planner in my gallery).

I haven't seen punches with these shapes but I recently bought the Martha Stewart Classic Butterfly and it is nice and heavy - I think it will last well. They do hearts too.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics