Username Post: Cutting chipboard        (Topic#1557009)
ambersage
Tenant
ambersage

I am dying to try cutting chipboard pieces with my new cricut but I see that it can be quite a challenge. I would love to know the ideal chipboard to buy (brand name, thickness would be fabulous) and what settings to use on the cricut. Any widsom you are willing to share would be much appreciated. Thanks!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ambersage

you probably need the deep cutting blade and multicut to cut chipboard. I know some people have had success cutting think chipboard like cereal box with the regular blade and multicut,,,,,

but to cut anything thicker, you'll probably need the deep cut blade and the special housing that goes with it.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

like this!
Products Referenced in This Post:

New Kid On the Block
In response to CommaHolly

I cut cereal boxes with my cricut for a book I was doing with no problem. I use the regular blade, but I don't remember the exact setting I put it on. It cut the first time through, no multicut. I plan on experimenting with something thicker, but haven't gotten there yet.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to kayleighsmom529

Good question- I am wanting to cut chipboard with my cricut. I will mostly be using thin chipboard for now but always nice to know what I can do in the future!!!

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to ambersage

I have the deep-cut blade & housing, & even using multicut it still doesn't want to do anything much thicker than a cereal box. Maybe somebody else has had better luck. I really, really wanted to do "real" chipboard frames. :o(

jaxxan
jaxxan 
Mayor
jaxxan
In response to GemGirl

I think cereal box thickness is a far as it will go. I thought read somewhere .005 thickness is the max.
I had bought some chipboard from Technique Tuesdays and it was way to thick to be cut with the deep cut blade. It just made a mess out of the edges.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to jaxxan

I cut a bunch of cereal boxes this weekend for my book, I used the deep blade and housing, set the deep to max, I had no problems at all. I didn't use multicut either.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to binkiemonstermom

I've tried cutting chipboard, but have failed! I don't have the deep cut housing or blade. I have been able to cut grungeboard however, but I had to use a brand new blade and my mat wasn't very sticky after I used it. Never thought about cereal boxes...will definately have to try that!

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Vallee

Does anyone know if cereal boxes are acid free?

Mix-on the Memories
Diva
Mix-on the Memories
In response to dotfree

I would treat them as not bring acid free, because I can not see why the cereal company would pay to have the boxes acid free to put cerial in.

Rule of thumb, if it does not say acid-free treat it as if it is not.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Mix-on the Memories

I use cereal box-thin chipboard, too. I just set the blade to deep and use multicut 4x. Works great for me, but I don't try anything thicker. There is a deep-cut blade and housing for the Cricut, but it is $30. Depending on how thick of chipboard you want to cut, this might be the way to go. For my word books, I don't need anything thicker than a cereal box. So multicut 4x works well for me.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Mix-on the Memories

• Mix-on the Memories Said:
I would treat them as not bring acid free, because I can not see why the cereal company would pay to have the boxes acid free to put cerial in.

Rule of thumb, if it does not say acid-free treat it as if it is not.

I always cover both sides of my chipboard with pretty patterned paper. It serves two purposes: makes the album itself pretty and keeps to the theme of the book, and ensures that the recipient doesn't have to put their pictures down on something that might not be acid-free.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to BlingQueenRia

When I make my board books out of chipboard, it's easiest to just use the template again. I cut each page three times: once with chipboard and twice with cardstock or patterned paper. For the back of the page, I flip the paper over, putting it front-side down. Fits perfectly every time.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics