Username Post: Can somebody PLEASE help me out before I go crazy?!        (Topic#1557209)
SarahMack
Resident
SarahMack

Or, crazier than I already am, I suppose!

Okay, you know how on some peoples' layouts, they've taken a black ink pen and simply drawn lines as a border around the edge of the paper? Something super simple that only requires a pencil, ruler and an acid free pen, right?! So why can't I get the hang of this?!

Everytime I think I get the measurements right and I draw my lines, they are always crooked! Does anybody have a tried and true method of this very simple, yet very neat, effect?

Thanks in advance!!

~Sarah

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to SarahMack

I think the ruler itself plays a big part in this. I really like Tim Holtz' ruler for this because it's clear but has lines printed on it to make it easy to line up on the edge of the pp, and because one edge is very thin while the other edge is thicker so you can use which ever one you need to depending on the writing tool you are using.

I also love to use this ruler to poke holes in a straight line, it has holes just for that purpose.

StrawberryPia
Governor
StrawberryPia
In response to Rosita

I make my lines without rulers, I like the crooked not perfect doodling lines! If you want it sttraight it´s almost impossible!
Just my thoughts....

It´s the same with lining up sticker letters and such, if you want them straight they will never be perfect! I just dabb them on and let it be. It´s more personal that way and it looks "handlamde"!

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to StrawberryPia

don't turn your hand when you move it along the ruler. sometimes people will rotate their wrist to follow the ruler instead of moving their whole arm. this will change where the pen sits along the ruler. try moving your arm next time.

good luck!

CatScrapsHere
Angel
CatScrapsHere
In response to Lamoo12

I'm with Pia! It's so much easier to just freehand it and let it be imperfect. If I'm not happy with the single line, then I double or triple them.

Anonymous 
  • Anonymous on 04-23-11 08:01 AM
In response to CatScrapsHere

Try using a carpenter's square (I think that's what they call them!) It's an L-shaped tool and it keeps your lines square to the page (if that is what you're referring to?). I had the same problem and the "square" cleared that right up! You can also find a similar tool (clear acrylic) used by rubber stampers to position stamps exactly where they want them although they aren't as large. Amazing - I can even find something to use in SB-ing at my local Lowes or Home Depot! LOL Hope you find something that works!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to fancyfaces

I don't use a ruler and I feel it's not supposed to be perfectly straight-that's the point of it being hand drawn.

cshortel
Guru
cshortel
In response to Scrapbook Queen

I've embraced the crooked and don't use a ruler (wouldn't do any good anyway).

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to cshortel

I'm confused ... why do you need a ruler??

I tape the pic down first and then just trace around it ... no special equipment required ...

NoirCat
Guru
NoirCat
In response to madmatter

I have an architect metal ruler which I love, but for the most part I just free-hand or doodle the lines when I choose to draw on a LO or border a pic with pen.

Inloveforlife
Veteran
Inloveforlife
In response to NoirCat

I love free handing and only you will know ... others may think its suppose to be that way !

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to Inloveforlife

I don't usually use a ruler, but I DO really like the look of doing one very fine line (.05) using a ruler and then a few other fine lines hand drawn around it (they kind of all weave together and look casual, almost like threads). The quicker you draw the hand drawn lines the better, and as someone above said, moving your whole arm helps.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to mercytiara

I'm a big fan of a very sturdy ruler that won't move on you. Mine is an 18-incher, metal with cork backing. Works great ... with arm movement, not hand movement.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to meezerpleaser

maybe a magnetic ruled on a magnetic mat might be helpful for you. Like the Basic Grey mat or the WeRmemory Keepers self healing mat!

craft_ticle_creations
Resident
craft_ticle_creations
In response to SarahMack

I forget what its called but, I always use the ruler that is shaped like a triangle. Because you can always line up the straight edge along the papers edge in order to make sure everythings straight.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to StrawberryPia

• StrawberryPia Said:
I make my lines without rulers, I like the crooked not perfect doodling lines! If you want it sttraight it´s almost impossible!
Just my thoughts....

It´s the same with lining up sticker letters and such, if you want them straight they will never be perfect! I just dabb them on and let it be. It´s more personal that way and it looks "handlamde"!

Exactly what I was going to say.

Nothing is ever perfect so why try lol.. You will be just as happy if the lines are slightly off in the long run anyway. I do mine free hand when I do them.

OkiFiend
Tenant
OkiFiend
In response to planty

I've done it with and without a ruler. I use a clear ruler from Martha Stewart and turn the paper on each side so that the ruler is always to my left. I'm right handed so it's the most comfortable position. you can also use the seweasy piercing tool below but press lightly and just mark from dot to dot. It actually works to ink the paper slightly too. So you can ink the piercing tool lightly, use a ruler to line one of the pegs up to your starting position and roll. It seems like a lot of work but if you really need your lines to be perfect it works. Good Luck.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Sarah-Scraps
Mayor
Sarah-Scraps
In response to OkiFiend

I prefer the look of free-hand doodling, then you can fuss it up with some dots, stripes or another line. This also works with sewing!

New Kid On the Block
In response to SarahMack

Hi Sarah this is a suggestion for you that may help with your straingt line. I have a paper trimmer thats green and pink and you bring down a
plastic bar the width of a ruller holding the paper in place. If you have a trimmer like that then you should be able to use that edge that holds the paper in place to get perfect straight lines. I have a pic of the trimmer I have to show you what mean. My email is maharanne@hotmail.com if you would like a visual on what I mean

chez49
chez49 
Angel
chez49
In response to SarahMack

well I like to freehand my lines as well doesnt matter if there isnt a perfectly straight line..adds to the character of the page

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics