Username Post: Craft Mat?        (Topic#1557371)
LeeCee
LeeCee 
Resident
LeeCee

Is a craft mat necessary....I see it in most website

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to LeeCee

I don't use one,,,,,I use a piece of computer paper if I am inking or doing something messy,,,,if it's very messy I use newspaper and put a piece of computer paper over it,,,,,,,

I am thinking of getting one though as my projects become more and more messy.

ImForwardByDesign
Veteran
ImForwardByDesign
In response to LeeCee

I would say it is only because you could mess up the surface of your table with most anything you do. What you choose to use as a craft mat is up to you.

I use a wooden surface, some use glass, others buy expensive mats, but if you are on a budget, you can find self healing mats in other areas of the craft stores for less money. Basically the same thing they are just less.

I would say it is also safer to use the right tools for the job. Mats are protective surfaces and do many jobs. They not only protect your work surface but they also can keep you from having an accident. You want a surface that won't move about. You want a surface that can take any technique you throw at it. That is why I choose an old wooden surface. I cover it in paper. It doesn't move, I can cut on it, glue on it, do pretty much everything on it, and it definately protects my work surface.

Some use glass tops on their tables. Others use fixed self healing mats of all sizes. Others have a specific mat ofr every technique. It just depends on your budget and scrap style.

I know when I do paper piercing, cutting, or use any other sharp tool, I don't want anything to move around. I also don't want my table to take that kind of damage. There are mats for many techniques but I choose a little different option because I don't have to buy a mat for every occasion.

Short answer... I believe a craft mat is needed unless you find a different creative idea. There are many options out there for every preference.

LeeCee
LeeCee 
Resident
LeeCee
In response to ImForwardByDesign

Thank u ladies I'll look around..... My dining table is made of wood and the scrap projects I do on my poor table I need a craft mat. :bounce:

-Robbie-
Mayor
-Robbie-
In response to LeeCee

I'm one that uses a glass 'mat'. It is actually a great big glass cutting board that I purchased at Walmart... (I think!) I prefer it because it's not only easily cleaned, it is also what I prefer to have when using an exacto knife. My circle cutter also requires a glass surface. With the glass, I don't have to pull out another 'tool' to change tasks.

Welcome to the neighborhood!

LeeCee
LeeCee 
Resident
LeeCee
In response to -Robbie-

ohhh ok ill check out wal-mart to see what they have......

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to LeeCee

I use a self healing mat on my scraping area for general things. When I am inking, gluing or using the heat gun I use a Craft mat on top of that.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to dotfree

I use a silicone baking mat but not for any cutting or projects with sharp tools. The silicone baking mat was cheaper than the Tim Holtz craft mat and it washes easily (even goes in dishwasher). It works well with misting, stamping, and heat embossing. I bought mine online many years ago but I think you can find them at Target, etc. If you are watching how you spend your craft budget, I would say to skip this. You can cut apart cereal boxes or cardboard to put under your projects. Of course, this is just my 2 cents worth.. or maybe with inflations it's a nickels worth now.

LeeCee
LeeCee 
Resident
LeeCee
In response to pinkpaperairedale

hey pink that's just what i did my son had an old piece of cardboard and i made my own craft mat...

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to LeeCee

for messy stuff (misting, painting, stamping), I use the Bazzill splat mat ... it cleans up like a dream

for cutting, I use a CM mat that I've had for years (and years ... and years)
Products Referenced in This Post:

mandiescrapbooks
Tenant
mandiescrapbooks
In response to madmatter

I definately think it is! It saved my table!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics