Username Post: Tim Holtz embossing folders        (Topic#1557373)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

so I'm confused,,,,

I have these TH embossing folders (and many others),,,,,but I've never had this problem before with the others,,,,,

I put it through my Big shot machine the way it says to, and it seems like it's too tight,,,,,it cuts right through where it should emboss in several places,,,,,

so I tried to adjust the platform and used it without any shims,,,,,,,,,less of an issue, but it STILL cuts through in a few places,,,,,

it's like the mechanism is too tight or something,,,,,not having as many problems with my other folders, but one or two look a bit wrinkled on the sides when they come out like they're a bit too tight as well,,,,,

not sure I'm explaining myself well,,,,,and not sure if I can adjust these rollers or what,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to CommaHolly

woops, forgot to link the products!

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat

Just an idea, I've never tried it (sold my cuttlebug and haven't bought a new manual cutter yet). Do you have any of the skinny border shims or do they even exist? Could you use them on the one side that is behaving and leave the other?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I don't think that would work,,,,right now I'm sending it through with NO SHIMS,,,,if I ADD a shim, it's just going to make it worse,,,,,

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat

Oh ok, I thought you meant only one side was cutting through. Ugh I can see how that's a tiny bit frustrating!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I really think it's the TH ones only,,,,,,and only the two,,,,,,I don't know quite what to do about it, it's cutting straight through white board,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

OK, found something on it, and apparently, others have had the same issue,,,,Tim made them that way so they'd emboss thicker things like his grunge paper,,,,,,place an additional piece of paper inside the folder and one of them should be less embossed is the suggestion,,,,,,,

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

now that I re-read what you mean, Ash, I THINK that's what you were telling me to do the whole time! I thought you meant add another shim OUTSIDE the folder, which would make it even tighter I'm losing my mind,,,,,,

Babylou
Diva
Babylou

I know that the Tim Holtz folders are more deeply etched and that makes them occasionally cut through paper. Tim suggests in a video I watched that you could add an extra piece of paper which would absorb some of the pressure and hopefully stop it from cutting through.
Good luck!

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Babylou

LOL Holly I didn't explain that well at all did I? Well it's working (at least I hope so) so YAY!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

you explained it FINE,,,I am losing my mind, I tell you and IT'S ALL MY CHILDREN'S FAULT!

cherrier2
Diva
cherrier2

LOL, Glad you are getting it worked out before I try mine out.....

danielle1975
Pro
danielle1975
In response to cherrier2

Thanks for the tip! I was having the same problem with my cuttlebug and his folders.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to danielle1975

I have a few of his folders, but haven't used any of them yet ... thanks for the heads up

fatwhippet
Pro
fatwhippet
In response to madmatter

Do you have an old red Sizzix beast? I regularly use the folders in mine and it does a great job. Just use the one white cutting pad, lay the loaded folder on top, mash down a few times and it does a great job.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to fatwhippet

I was just going to tell you about the additional piece of paper and saw you found out about it. Like Tim said if you want it to emboss grunge board it's got to be deep so to stop the problem with paper add an extra piece.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics