Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: doilies        (Topic#1557431)
whateveriwant
Resident
whateveriwant

I see a lot of doilies around, and I especialy like the ones that look like this.
http://www.scrapbook.com/gallery/image/card/32 03559.htm...

Snips & Snails By Snapwhiz

Inspirational Card made with Magnolia Stamp By Beadlady5

So are these all pre-bought doilies or are there punches out there that can make these? I just think it would be so cool to have all different colors and even have patterned paper doilies that look like these really ornate ones.

Babys Got Blue Eyes
Governor
Babys Got Blue Eyes
In response to whateveriwant

I got some doilies at the Dollar Store. They don't look as nice as these do, but I saw that you can mist them or dye them with Rit.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Yes. Some are regular, paper doilies, and there ARE punches that make them, or dies.
There are probably ways to cut them with a diecutting machine too.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to Bxr-Linda

OMG there are so many cute ones!!! Love those lo's too!

Guess I should finally try that fiskars border punch I bought at a garage sale last year!

Always something cute and new to try. And i'm so far behind on the trends! lol

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Cindyckj

Papertrey Ink has a die that is closest to the ones you like. I have it and it is awesome Super duper detailed!

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Here Kitty

If you go to the cake decorating section in any craftstore you should be able to buy them by the package. They are made by wilton. I purchased about 20 small ones for $2.50

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to andrea m

I use doilies a lot. I get them from the cake decorating section of Michael's.

We R Memory Keepers has doilies and so does Little Yellow Bicycle (who also have heart shaped ones).

Deja Views - C-Thru - Little Yellow Bicycle - Paper Doilies, BRAND NEW

hawgmn1
Idol
hawgmn1
In response to dollscrap

Wedding section at the dollar tree and can get the heart shaped ones in pink, red and white there around valentines and gold and silver circle ones at christmas.

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to hawgmn1

My concern about the doilies at the dollar or wedding stores: are they acid free?
I do love the look!

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to gluemore girl

My mom used to decorate cakes when I was little and over the years i've found her wilton doilies all turned yellow. Her doilies were probably 30-40 years old.

Edited by Cindyckj on 04-27-11 05:26 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Cindyckj

That's why I like to use the ones I make - I can also make them out of any paper I want: foils, pearls, cardstock, patterned papers, etc.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

Even if they are not acid-free, the cheap ones would be good to use as masks to glimmer mist...

andrea m
Diva
andrea m
In response to Bxr-Linda

They are also great for cards. most people dont save cards that long.

Cindyckj
Expert
Cindyckj
In response to andrea m

Great idea Linda! Wish i'd saved them! But they were huge.

Lal
Lal 
Diva
Lal
  • Lal on 04-28-11 06:43 PM
In response to Cindyckj

Michael's had some paper doilies not too long ago in different colors like a melon-ish color, yellow, green, purple...can't remember what other colors. I used the paper doily ones from the cake section also. I also bought some off of Etsy.

planty
planty 
Diva
planty
In response to Lal

I buy from dollar tree as well I love them and use every shape and size. but the acid free thing dont really bother me. I change the color of mine with glimmer mist.
all the kool kids have one.. By Planty all the kool kids have one.. By Planty
the call for reapers. Darker side challenge for apr. By Planty
Kisses By Planty

They are really fun and cheap to use.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to planty

The acid free thing doesn't bother me either, but I don't like it when things turn yellow. I have old doilies out of their packages (about 15 years old) and they are yellowed.
I do use packaged doilies sometimes anyway

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I buy white dollies and then spray them with my copics to the color I want.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale

A site called my favorite things has some die cuts called Die namics. There are several gorgeous doily dies that you can use in Cuttlebug, Sizzing Big, etc. That way you could use all of your favorite paper

dollscrap
Queen
dollscrap
In response to pinkpaperairedale

The doilies used for baking may not be acid free but 30 - 40 years from now I won't be around to care. And if they turn yellowish they'll just look old as will the layouts...and by then the layouts will be heritage layouts.
I dye them too or chalk them. I keep meaning to spray them with archival spray....I'll try that and see if they fall apart.
Oh and I forgot about the Cricut Mothers Day Cart..it has a doily design and I used it on this layout. It took a few minutes for the cricut to cut it this large and several minutes to punch out the design but it was worth it. I stamped, chalked and added fake stitching.
Sisters Forever By Dollscrap

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics