Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Journaling        (Topic#1557487)
Red Cherry Girl
Tenant
Red Cherry Girl

I love to journal but my hand writing isn't exactly the best and I want my pages to look nice.. rather than use someone else or a computer what does anyone suggest?

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to Red Cherry Girl

I do a mix of computer printed and my own. I don't particularly care for my writing either. Sometimes it is neat. Other times, it is sloppy! I just go with it. It is what it is. Your family will appreciate seeing your writing.

kdkaboom55
Idol
kdkaboom55
In response to momma paparazzi

Practice makes perfect! I didn't like my handwriting either, so I started practicing. I would write out song lyrics, poems, anything I had memorized on the back of steno notebooks. It didn't happen overnight, but at this point I have handwriting that I love, so it was well worth it.

Tenant
In response to kdkaboom55

I found that if I write it out once then rewrite I do better...it's like if I just write I screw something up...Hope that makes sense...and I don't like my writing either...

randasue
Guru
randasue
In response to Junebug868

i agree that your family will appreciate having your handwriting.. my dear sweet mama did not have great handwriting, but i treasure everything i have with it. she would find recipes and copy them 6 times, one for each of us six girls. and she wrote poetry; my brother in law had them typed and put into a nice booklet, but i treasure the ones in her own handwriting the most! she wrote a poem about each of us, and it is one of my most treasured possessions.

so, use your handwriting some..but if you want, have hidden journaling. i think it is fine to type it and print, but at least have some in your own writing. i usually write it out first, then cut a paper that is the size that i want to use on the page. then i copy it on the practice one, then i can make any adjustments to how it is placed or whatever. then i copy it onto the actual paper i want to use.

most important...enjoy the story and the memories!

Edited by randasue on 04-28-11 06:41 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

SarahWscraps
Veteran
SarahWscraps
In response to randasue

I second the hidden journaling suggestion. Also when you do write your journaling, do it in pencil first that way you can just erase it and try again if you don't like how it looks. Remember we are our own worse critics and your family will appreciate your personal handwritten journaling later on down the road.
If handwriting is an absolute No for you maybe purchasing stamps like mixed messages sets that have words like because, you, me, happy, etc..
Good luck! Have fun creating!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to SarahWscraps

I have horrible handwriting, my co-workers compare it to a doctor's.

I find a journaltopia (I think its by CM) helps me and I just try to take it real slow.

ScrappyMama6
Mayor
ScrappyMama6
In response to mjmone

The thin, spidery scrawl of my Nana brings tears to my eyes when I see her old Bday cards and letters to me, more than the card itself. I would say use your own as much as possible. Those LO's will be much more than "nice to look at" to your family when your gone.....they'll be a piece of you, preserved for them.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to ScrappyMama6

I'd say practice, practice, practice. I use to have beautiful handwriting, but with typing everything over the years, I've gone out of practice. Not to mention I've developed carpal tunnel in my right wrist (I'm right handed), so now my handrighting looks like carp (reverse the a&r and you'll know what I mean). But, if I practice (when my CTS isn't acting up) it gets more fluid and uniform. I find also moving my whole arm from the shoulder instead of just moving my hand an wrist helps make my handwriting more fluid/smooth. Another option might be to get a book on caligraphy or drafting (one that was printed before computer drafting). I took drafting almost 20 years ago (before computer drafting) and that really helped to get my printing to the point it almost looked typed.

Edited by cat_woman on 04-28-11 10:07 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to cat_woman

What about printing? Sometimes printing may be an option as well. I think something done in your hand will be treasured. That being said, I've journaled all ways... printed, written, and computer, & sometimes my journaling is just a quote or I might use rub ons and the only writing I do is for the date and month and the subjects.

Expert
In response to gluemore girl

I also have bad handwriting--I like to say that's because I'm the daughter of a doctor! I do a mix of writing and computer journalling on my LOs. I would say that I do more on the computer, but a lot of times I type it out because I have so much to say and only a certain amount of space to put it in. I don't see anything wrong with doing both.

Peg364
Peg364 
Idol
Peg364
In response to gluemore girl

I hate my handwritting - my mother was so neat and had great script. But as much as I hate it - I always try to incorporated it somewhere.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to Peg364

I think most people don't like their own handwriting, but it's part of you. In years to come, the people who read your hand-writing will remember you by it, and that will be just as important as what you write.

I say write anyway and never mind how you think it looks. If it REALLY bothers you, then randasue's suggestion of the hidden journalling is a great one.

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to RedSquirrel UK

I have a weird trick from having to do car tiles at a car dealership. I write using a ruler as my line. It keeps everything in a straight line. it cuts off your g's and j's and y's and whatever other curlies you have but I just go back and fill them in later. It doesn't look exactly like the handwriting I use daily but a new and improved version!

There is also a website called fontifier.com. You print out a sheet and write all your letters and numbers etc in little boxes. Then scan it in using a high resolution and for $10 they turn your handwriting into a font that you can use over and over. It's amazing how nice anyones handwriting is when its perfectly spaced and sized.

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to RedSquirrel UK

=)

Edited by tegan-nicole on 04-29-11 07:13 AM. Reason for edit: double post!

Expert
In response to tegan-nicole

• tegan-nicole Said:

There is also a website called fontifier.com. You print out a sheet and write all your letters and numbers etc in little boxes. Then scan it in using a high resolution and for $10 they turn your handwriting into a font that you can use over and over. It's amazing how nice anyones handwriting is when its perfectly spaced and sized.

I may have to check that out--especially if it's done as a TT font...then I could use it on my Silhouette and sketch the journalling in "my own handwriting"!!!

IzzyB
IzzyB 
Mayor
IzzyB
  • IzzyB on 04-29-11 07:56 AM
In response to HuskerMom98

I do love to see handwritten journaling, messy or not. I usually write out what I want to say first and rarely write directly on the layout in case I make a mistake or get too sloppy.

Writing on a tag is a great way to add just a little touch of handwritten journaling to a layout. You can always tuck the tag behind a photo with just the top peeking out.

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to tegan-nicole

I bought this book and it helped me a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/Scrapbookers-Handwrit ing-Workshop...

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to scrap4brains

It is not sold on this site so I hope the link is ok. If it gets mopped pm me.

bbarthej
Expert
bbarthej
In response to scrap4brains

You've rec'd some great tips. It sometimes takes me several tries to get the look I want... I practice on a separate piece of paper, if it turns out good then I will add it to my layout. And when all else fails I will use stencils that I found at the Dollar Store.
I totally agree that your family and friends will treasure "your" handwriting and the personal touch you add to your work.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics