Page 2 of 3 
Username Post: alcohol inks        (Topic#1557673)
madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to planty

polished stone ...

use the alcohol ink applicator and apply a drop of 2-3 different colors as well as a metallic color (gold or silver) ... then spread the ink all over the glossy paper ... let it dry (or use a heat gun) and it gives a beautiful stained glass effect

so so easy and very pretty

you can then stamp on the image with Stazon inks

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to madmatter

I use the alcohol pens to color in images stamped on transparencies ... just make sure you stamp on one side and color in on the other side

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to madmatter

You can also use them to change the color of bling or even metal embellies. Careful, you'll soon "need" all of the colors!

Resident
In response to GemGirl

i know its crazy at how much they cost!

scrapbooksusie
Guru
scrapbooksusie
In response to ascott007

Hmmm I haven't jumped into this arena yet - - - but making my own glimmer mist def sounds pretty enticing!!!

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to scrapbooksusie

Be careful. Alcohol inks can be scary, alcohol should not be inhaled...mists are safer with reinkers.

Resident
In response to Megan - ForumTech

• Megan - ForumTech Said:
Be careful. Alcohol inks can be scary, alcohol should not be inhaled...mists are safer with reinkers.

I was reading on the bottle not to inhale them, i try to hold my breath or breath away from it... hopefully since its not in big breaths that it wont be that bad!

I dont understand the reinkers and i havent tried the glimmer mists yet...

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ascott007

Reinkers are concentrated bottles of the ink that goes on an ink pad. You can use those to make your own mist, but I prefer a stronger color than what watered-down reinkers give.

Resident
In response to Manda_K

has anyone ever noticed your alcohol ink kinda fades away or gets socked up into your project?? Am i doing something wrong??

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to ascott007

use glossy paper, not regular card stock and it shouldn't absorb as much.

croppincarla
Veteran
croppincarla
In response to Seaexplore

Well I have to pipe in here and say although I have about ohhhhhhh 12 of the colors, I dont use them. I too need more ideas so coming in here to read what you guys are suggesting is giving me ideas.

Samothrace
Guru
Samothrace
In response to planty

I love alcohol inks! Now I don't feel limited when buying anything metal b/c I can change it to whatever color I want.

New adventures with them will be embossing on tooling aluminum and inking the foil for cards, frames etc.

They may be a bit pricey, but a little ink goes a really long way!

2 Krafty Girls
Resident
2 Krafty Girls
In response to planty

I use them on EVERYTHING! I know they are meant for non-porous surfaces, but I use them on paper and vintage seam binding the most. I am so in love with them and just got a bunch more!

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to 2 Krafty Girls

Great thread, thanks for the ideas!!
I actually used them to fix a paint chip on my glasses, it was a perfect match!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to gluemore girl

My favorite way to use them lately is altering bling. It's nice to just buy clear bling and turn it any color I want (well, any color I own anyway). I have also used them on metal pieces and fragments. Just make sure you get the blending solution to fix anything you don't like and to clean up after.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Smashley

you can use bic marks it markers to color bling too- it works AWESOME!

To clean up messes with alcohol ink, I THINK you can use regular rubbing alcohol. It worked on some I spilled on my desk.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

Something you might not know the Tim Holtz alcohol inks have a binder and shouldn't' be sprayed in any way.

copic's are also alcohol inks and don't have a binder so can be sprayed.

Tim's won't come off since they have the binder in them if you put them on metal and other items.

Copics can come off it takes a lot but they can come off because they don't have the binder.

You can do all of the same techniques with the copics as the tim Holtz but you can also spray them using either their spray system or with a compressor.

I know just more useless info I have in my head I hope it helps someone.

BTW, a Copic Sketch marker and a bottle of refill runs about $12 the refill will fill the copic sketch marker at minimum 11 times so that makes the colos of the pen and refill $1 compared to a tombow or other marker at $2 to $3 dollars that you will throw away. Think about long term the copic is cheaper.

Edited by Sneezy1956 on 05-15-11 11:44 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Sneezy1956

So, why can't the TH inks be sprayed since they have a binder in them? Not making sense to my brain. I would think it would be a GOOD thing to make them permanent? Do they clog up the sprayers?

Foamy
Foamy 
Mayor
Foamy
  • Foamy on 05-15-11 02:53 PM

If you use the Adirondack Blending Solution you can remove the alcohol inks or even dilute it a bit by just using a drop or two. I know that I have gotten it in areas where i did not want it & a drop on a qtip was enough to dab it away.
I did a post on my blog a year or so ago about using alchy inks to color gems too. I just love the alcohol inks! :D Ranger Ink - Tim Holtz - Adirondack Alcohol Blending Solution

Edited by Foamy on 05-15-11 02:55 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Foamy

You're really not supposed to inhale alcohol, it's toxic. So using the alcohol inks as opposed to the re-inkers isn't the best idea. I would definitely use them outside or in a well ventilated area.

Page 2 of 3 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics