Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Chalking, does anyone still use chalk?        (Topic#1557771)
Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj

Was wondering if anyone still uses chalks? And if so how do you use yours?

The only chalks I have are those hard making memories ones that were the 3 tier round containers that came with some little fluff ball applicators.

With having upgraded my cricut from a create to and expression and being able to make bigger cuts i'd love to be able to dress them up and add dimension and wondered if chalk would be a good way to do this?

Do you have the hard chalks or cream chalks?

Would you rather use ink? What kind?

My chalks are probably 7 years old. Barely used. lol

Thanks!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to Cindyckj

I use a blender pen with my chalks - I know that Stampin up has them and I have also picked them up at Michaels or ACmoore. It allows you to color and blend for a nice soft effect!! I also use chalks to color images in using a q-tip.

Hope that helps!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Cindyckj

I haven't used chalks since I first started scrapping. I mostly use inks now. One fun thing to do with the chalks is use them with Versamark. You can stamp and then chalk over the image instead of embossing. I have also used them to create a soft colored background on plain cardstock.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to Smashley

Smashley, when you use the versamark, what do you use to apply the chalks? I usually use a make up sponge for my chalks, but I am thinking that once used with the versamark, they would need to be tossed? Or doesn't the versamark come off on the applicator?

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to ktmracing

I use a paint brush to apply my chalks to versamark...a One Stroke Painting, Donna Dewberry flat brush or a stencil brush, but I think any sorta sturdy paintbrush would do.

I still use my chalks occasionally. I love the soft shadowy look they give to the edges of things (diecuts, journaling blocks, whatever) to give them more dimension. Also, I like that I can erase them if I don't like the look or I got too heavy handed with them.

scraperfect
Pro
scraperfect
In response to justowen

I use mine around edges mostly on ripped edges. It's beautiful on vellum--I do most of my titles & journaling on vellum.

I apply with an alligator clip which holds a tiny pom pom. I keep the pom poms lined up in the box and switch colors as needed. It applies the chalk really nicely!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to ktmracing

• ktmracing Said:
Smashley, when you use the versamark, what do you use to apply the chalks? I usually use a make up sponge for my chalks, but I am thinking that once used with the versamark, they would need to be tossed? Or doesn't the versamark come off on the applicator?

I have used those little puff balls that they sell for chalking and never noticed the ink coming off on them. But I was also brushing the chalk on really really lightly.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Smashley

I love using my chalks... I like them mostly for the edges.

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to debby_westbrook

See I was thinking of like edging with them or like rosy cheeks on a face and such.

Like I cut a ghost out with my happy hauntings cartridge but he looked so stark white I didn't know what to do with him to give him some dimension.

Edited by Cindyckj on 05-03-11 06:57 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to Cindyckj

Smashley, thanks for the reply. I am so excited to try chalk with the versamark!

Just, thank you too for the brush idea. I plan to try that too since I have a bunch of those.

Thanks guys!!

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to ktmracing

You're welcome!! This thread makes me want to bust out my chalks! Considering I bought them and used them maybe 10 times, I should! LOL

Expert
In response to ktmracing

I use mine mostly around edges--I forget about the Versamark technique; learned that from my SU friend last year!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to HuskerMom98

I use my chalks on tear bears or other paper piecing people/animals to color in facial features

but I use them very very infrequently

Cindyckj
Pro
Cindyckj
In response to madmatter

Do you guys use the hard pressed powder chalks or the creme chalks?

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Cindyckj

I have both, but if I had to choose just one, I'd choose to have the powder!

gracie713
Tenant
gracie713
In response to justowen

I use the powder, especially is I am using it for edging or blending. I also have chalk pencils that I enjoy using.
I haven't heard about using Versamark, and I will certainly have to try the paintbrush.!

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to Cindyckj

I have both; the cream ones I have are the Pebbles metallics. I found that it takes alot of any given color when I use them, so they don't go very far. Just my experience. Enjoy your new Expression!

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to GemGirl

great ideas - thanks for the inspiration!!

memex9
memex9 
Queen
memex9
In response to Smashley

• Smashley Said:
You're welcome!! This thread makes me want to bust out my chalks! Considering I bought them and used them maybe 10 times, I should! LOL

Me too.....LOL.....I tend to use the Tim Holtz Distress ink pads all the time....it seems that I do better with those, however, there are times when they are just to deep and wish I knew better how to use my chalks also......so this is a great forum for me....thanks for starting it....I am learning a lot!!!

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to memex9

On my blog, I have a labels section on the left. Chalking is one of the labels. In there, I have a tutorial for how to stamp with versamark and color with chalk. I also color images with chalk. I love chalk!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics