Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: cricut        (Topic#1558547)
RevaW 
New Kid On the Block
  • RevaW on 05-15-11 08:14 AM

what is a cricut machine?
why would i want to buy it?
what does it do?

do you have a cricut if you do, do you enjoy it?
no i dont have one
yes i have one it is an unecassary piece of equipment
yes i have one and love it
other, please write reason
You may choose multiple options.
Votes accepted from 05-15-11 08:13 AM to 05-15-12 08:13 AM.
View results
You are not allowed to vote in this poll.

Inloveforlife
Veteran
Inloveforlife
In response to RevaW

I love love love mine !

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to Inloveforlife

I had one but I sold it. The cartridges make it cost far more than other electronic cutters. (Cheap going in but in the end most users end up spending into the $1000 area within a couple years just by adding a few cartridges a year to their stash.

I would absolutely recommend owning an electronic cutter, but would recommend one that can be used with a computer to cut ANY FONT you already have in your computer and will work with SVG files.

I have a Gazelle, it's my third (and most pricey cutter) if that's not in your budget I would recommend a Silhouette SD (you can use SD cards like Cartridges if you prefer) or perhaps an e-craft.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Msceejay2000

I have the cricut expression, and LOVE it. I would recommend getting the expression because it can cut 12X12 or smaller. I don't mind the carts, I work on the computer all day, the last thing I want to do when I scrapbook is play on the computer again!!!! I like the ease of use, the cricut really is easy, very easy learning curve. I never buy carts at full price, ebay is a great resource to get carts cheaper. I have used my cricut for scrapbooking, cards, my kids' projects, science fairs, bullentin boards....I LOVE my cricut!!!!

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to binkiemonstermom

love love love my Cricut E... it is by far the most useful and "worth the price" piece of equipment I own

I NEVER pay full price for carts (usually no more than $40 and I only pay that if I love the cart) ...

I use it for titles, paper piecing, embellishments, journaling boxes, cards, school projects, and now that I have the Elegant Edges and Paper Lace carts, I use it to make those huge mats that cover almost the entire 12x12 page

I do NOT scrap anywhere near a computer and I love that I can use the E without any computer support

I think it is by far the easiest, most versatile cutter on the market

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to madmatter

I got the "baby bug" when it first came out. I have used it SO MUCH....layouts, cards, birthday banners, classroom decorations for teachers, home decor, party favors, you name it. I have not had one single problem with my machine, it still works like the day I got it. I have never and will never pay $80 for a cart, you can find them much cheaper than that.

I'm holding my breath for an Expression for my birthday because I want to make bigger cuts. I'd recommend a Cricut to anyone - great machine.

meezerpleaser
Idol
meezerpleaser
In response to kelseymel

I've got the baby bug and really love it, but the carts ARE expensive. And you made another post that you are broke, so if that's the case, I'd recommend holding off on buying a Cricut until you're flush again! Those carts are addictive!

HisGEM
HisGEM 35
Diva
HisGEM
In response to meezerpleaser

I have an Expression too and I enjoy using it. I agree with Lucinda. If cash flow is a problem, the Cricut can cost a lot of cash with the carts unless you can discipline yourself ($15-$20 purchases add up quickly, trust me, I know). Another option (which was mentioned already) if you DON'T mind using a computer is a Silhouette, E-Craft, Gazelle or other computer based cutter. You can buy, download or make your own cuts. The Sil is around $200 (cuts 8.5x11). Just make sure you research ALL of your options. If you do decide to get a Cricut, it really is a nice cutter.

RevaW 
New Kid On the Block
  • RevaW on 05-16-11 02:17 PM
In response to Inloveforlife

oh, your saying that the cricut machine is a brand and any electonic cutter would suffice to my needs?
what is a cartridge?
thank you

RevaW 
New Kid On the Block
  • RevaW on 05-16-11 02:33 PM
In response to RevaW

and btw whats the dif. between a di cut and electronic cutter

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to RevaW

An electronic cutter is a computerized cutter... you buy cartridges that have a theme and then insert them into the machine in order to use it. A cricut is an expensive machine to purchase... plus you need specific cutting mats, too. Sometimes you can buy the cartridges on sale for $40 but the retail is about $80 - $90 each.
A die cut machine such as the Cuttlebug is not electronic so you don't need to purchase cartridges. However, you do need to buy things called FOLDERS that you put through the die cut machine. These are not very expensive but each folder only makes one specific embossing or die cut. I had a cricut and sold it. I did get a Slice which is much smaller and I can get the cartridges for it for about $30 on sale. If there are any big box stores near you that have crops (Michaels does) I would suggest that you spend the $5 to go to it and use their machines to see if you really want to spend the $$$ on one. If you want a 12 inch wide cricut you can expect to shell out several hundred dollars. Hope this helps.

Frau_Cooney
Pro
Frau_Cooney
In response to pinkpaperairedale

Yes, I have a Cricut, and I do love what it can do. But, sometimes I think it is more effort than I want to put in. For example, you can cut letters for your title, from coordinating paper, but it takes much longer than using letter stickers. You can cut elaborate embellishments, but again, it takes time. And when you factor in the cost of the machine, carts, paper, etc, it's probably not cheaper than buying embellishments.

So, if you have time and really like the process of designing and creating it can be a lot of fun. If you need to get a page done quicly, it may not be the thing for you.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to Frau_Cooney

I find that my cricut is less expensive than buying stickers. Stickers- I use them and then they are gone. My cricut can make the cut mulitple times....hundreds even!!! I like that I only cut the letters I need and never run out of letters!!! I can cut any size I need.
As far as the mats- you can restick them so with care- one mat should last a long time(youtube resticking cricut mats).
Manual die cutters are nice too, I have a big shot pro and love the ease of which it cuts chipboard. You can cut chipboard with the cricut but no more than cereal boxes, at least I haven't had success with thick chipboard and my cricut. The die cutters come with a die- but you are limited to that size on the die. I find that my die cutter works nicely when my cricut just won't do but I use my cricut far more than my big shot pro.

rubymillerand
Guru
rubymillerand
In response to binkiemonstermom

me and the cricut don't get along very well. I think it could be a great machine for someone but I have no patience. I like the sizzix and stickers.

Edited by rubymillerand on 05-19-11 02:10 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy312
Diva
cindy312
In response to rubymillerand

I have a Wishblade, which is a competitor to the Cricut. I've used the Cricut as well, though I don't own it. The Wishblade doesn't have pricy cartridges to buy (or supplemental software), but regardless of what machine you're considering, you'll need replacement blades and cutting mats. In retrospect, I wouldn't have gotten either one. I don't use it enough to justify the cost. It's great to be able to cut what I want, but if I worked out the cost per letter/title, I know I'd be appalled.

Cindy

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to cindy312

absolutely LOVE mine, but it's not cheap,,,,a cricut with 2 carts can cost upwards of 200 bucks,,,,,,,add to that even a 20.00 cartridge on ebay six times a year and that's another 120 bucks,,

if you're a beginner and don't know for sure that you're hooked on scrapping, I'd use my $$ to build a stash first,,,,,,

then ask for a cricut(or other diecutting machine) for your birthday or hanukkah or christmas once you know you're hooked!

kajunkat
Idol
kajunkat
In response to CommaHolly

I love love love my Cricut E....and now that I purchased the gypsy, I love it even more. The price can be a factor even though the prices have come down alot...But watch for the sales that is an important thing I do. I know you cant put web sites on here, but do the research and around the holiday especially Christmas there are great bargins for the Cricut and Carts....Good luck making a decision...I thinking of buying a second just bc I am scared they will be hard to find later bc of the newer models. But LOVE the E.

pastorwife
Veteran
pastorwife
In response to kajunkat

I love my Cricut E...I also have a baby bug and don't use it anymore now that I have the E. I too have a Gypsy and have really enjoyed designing my own things on it. I use it not only for scrapbooking but also for card making. I have even used it to do the lettering for my son's projects for school. It is mony well spent.

ktmracing
Pro
ktmracing
In response to RevaW

• RevaW Said:
oh, your saying that the cricut machine is a brand and any electonic cutter would suffice to my needs?
what is a cartridge?
thank you

Yeah, it is a brand. Just like the one you linked in your first post with the poll.

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to ktmracing

LOVE my cricut expression! I use it for tons of embellishments. It at least makes me feel like i'm saving money when I use scraps from my stach and stickles instead of shelling out the cash to buy the embellies. I own a totle of 4 carts and other than that just borrow and loan with other cricut owners. Good system really.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics