Username Post: UTEE everywhere!        (Topic#1558567)
raven63630
Resident
raven63630

So I bought some UTEE and the first time I went to use it with a heating tool it blew everywhere. I don't think there is a surface that doesn't have little crystals on it. I've been cleaning on it and singing a new little song in my head...it goes "UTEE is a pain in my booty".

Now after I finish cleaning it all up, I have to figure out what I did wrong so I don't do it again. Anybody else ever do this?

HisGEM
HisGEM 
Diva
HisGEM
In response to raven63630

did you use an embossing stamp pad, pigment ink? That makes the utee stick to your project.

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to HisGEM

ditto what she said. You have to use something to hold it in place.

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to Here Kitty

That stuff is a pain to clean up! I have always used it with an embossing pad or an ink pad, but loose pieces still blow all over. I use a craft mat which helps, but even that needs a good cleaning when I'm done. It helps to have a light hand when using the heating tool. If you get too close or too wild, stuff will fly.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to Luvmyfam

Make sure after you covered your embossing ink to shake off any excess powder before you heat it. Stops little bits from covering your room as well as melting any where it shouldn't be.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

UTEE is best used in a melting pot. I have used it with the heat gun, but it does tend to blow all over if you aren't careful!

jessielee
Veteran
jessielee
In response to Manda_K

When using it with the heat gun instead of my melting pot I find it works best when I start heating it from the underside and as the utee starts to warm I can move my gun to the top

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to jessielee

I love Utee and haven't had any problems yet - but as already stated - you need ink that it will stick to before you can heat it!! maybe there is a tutorial here that shows how to use or you might want to look on youtube

GemGirl
Expert
GemGirl
In response to raven63630

Bummer! I took the bottom of a Whitman's candy box, covered the insides with foil, & I put my heat embossing projects in that before turning on my wind tunnel-creating heat gun. Keeps everything contained. When the foil gets gunky, I just replace it with a new piece.

Hope you don't give up on UTEE, it really does offer some wonderful creative effects.

Manda_K
Queen
Manda_K
In response to GemGirl

Any good, slow-drying pigment ink will work. I love the Colorbox pigments.

That is a good idea on the foil box.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics