Username Post: Supplies to go with a gift album        (Topic#1558709)
aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny

I'm making a baby album for a dear friend who's expecting in July. It includes blank journaling areas and of course a lot of blank photo mats. I would like to give with the album a few things:

- Small trimmer (the 6" Fiskars, I think - or should I not go with the guillotine trimmer?)
- A journaling pen
- Adhesive for photos

Need recommendations for the journaling pen - I really love my fine point Sakura Gelly Roll but should I get her something different?

As for the adhesive, I was thinking clear photo corners - should I also include regular adhesive squares? (I favor 3L and Pioneer.)

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to aquabunny

That's really sweet and thoughtful of you to want to make sure she's all set up to complete the album. Well, and to make it in the first place!!!

I love my Creative Memories journaling pen. I don't know much about the Sakura jelly roll, but I'd be leery of anything that might smear until it's dry. I'd lean more towards a pen that is dry almost immediately. JMO

I think a little 6" trimmer sounds good. She just needs something to trim the photos, right?

I'd include the photo corners, so she has them for pictures she might not want to adhere or are difficult to copy (like ultrasound photos), but I'd also be inclined to include a more permanent adhesive, too. Photo corners can be a pain to use on every single photo, KWIM? You could use adhesive squares or an actual adhesive applicator like Tombo or Duck. I think either way would be fine.

Again, you are so sweet to do this for her!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to siameseplease

In the past I've given gift albums with a pen and one adhesive tape runner. I also offer to adhere the photos myself once the recipient gets a chance to decide what he/she wants in the album.

I would be hesitant to give the gelly roll pen, too, because of the smearing. I would only give a paper trimmer if I thought the person would and could use it. Most people can make due with scissors and a ruler.

aquabunny
Idol
aquabunny
In response to siameseplease

Thank you for your thoughts! I will look into other journaling pens and give further thought to the trimmer (I will be doing a few mats for photos smaller than 4 x 6). I guess there is the ruler and scissors route, shows how much I love using a trimmer. :)

I like the idea of the adhesive roller, since she is probably not going to need 250 adhesive squares (that's the smallest pack I've seen, though I'm usually looking for the packs of 1000, not a typo, one thousand).

And yeah, I figured something other than just photo corners would be good if only for adding any additional journaling or embellishments, since I want to make some unthemed pages with just mats and borders to do what she wants (for example, I'm not doing a first haircut layout, but an unthemed page would be there for her to do a page for it if she wanted). I will probably give her any materials I bought for the album but didn't use. I like the idea of offering to adhere them myself, but I'm in Indianapolis and my friend is in Columbus Ohio; we don't see each other more than once a year or so these days. (We're just on Facebook a lot.)

I've never made a baby album before (no kids of my own, no nieces and nephews - and my own mom is scrapbooking my babyhood) and this project has been a lot of fun so far. It's very different from my usual work both in theme and in the aspect of designing and making pages without having actual photos on hand.

SmartyPants
Diva
SmartyPants
In response to aquabunny

you could maybe include a mini calendar that could be added - so that she can write some things down on as they happen - I've seen a lot of pocket calendars on sale lately or you could print some mini ones onto cardstock and include.

You could also include a disposable camera if they don't have a camera.

good luck!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics