Username Post: Stores in WI/IL-area?        (Topic#1558859)
elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison

Hi everyone.

I'm Elisabeth from Norway. I went to school at University of Wisconsin as an exchange student a couple years ago.

Anyways....I'm going back there in 3 weeks to visit friends. I want to stock up on scrapbooking-stuff while I'm over there, because it's sooo much cheaper than here in Norway.

So I was hoping you guys could recommend some good scrapbooking stores. I'll be spending most of my time at a friend's house in the Kenosha area. So preferably stores around there.

scrapsweet
Veteran
scrapsweet
In response to elison

Go to Hobby Lobby in Racine - LOVE it! They have normal brands as well as some of their own stuff, such as their own paper stacks! And you might be able to find a coupon on their website. One thing to note - they are closed on Sunday's.

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to scrapsweet

Thanks scrapsweet! I think I went to Hobby Lobby in Janesville when I lived in WI, and I remember they had a lot, so I'll definately check out Hobby Lobby.
Thanks for the tip about coupons

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to elison

and btw scrapsweet....here in Norway all stores are closed on Sundays...so that I'm used to :P

Edited by elison on 05-22-11 10:34 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Expert
In response to elison

There is a Hobby Lobby in Kenosha also. And Archiver's in Gurnee Mills mall that isn't too far from the WI/IL border.

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to scrappy_day

Thanks Tammikiley. If there's a Hobby Lobby in Kenosha I'll probably stop by that one. Thanks for the tip.

Archiver's I've never been to...have to google that.
But Gurnee Mills isn't to far away, so that is definitely an option.

creativesoul_in_WI
Governor
creativesoul_in_WI
In response to elison

There are a couple of LSS' in the Milwaukee area. A couple of them are named The Scrapbook Store and one is named Creative Pals in Brookfield, WI

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to creativesoul_in_WI

Thanks creativesoul.

This might sound stupid (but keep in mind I'm not american)...what does LSS stand for?

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to elison

It stands for Local Scrapbook Store.

I hope you enjoy your visit back here!!!

I live in WI, but on the other side by the MN border. Been wanting to visit Milwaukee being I have never been there. I am from MN. I will make note of some of these for when I am able to visit!

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to momma paparazzi

Thanks momma_papparazzi for clearing that up for me! It makes sense.

I've only been to Milwaukee once myself, but can recommend it. Loved the city.

Where by the MN border do you live? I have a friend that lives in Coon Valley. So I've been around that area.

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to elison

Thanks for helpful suggestions! I'll be sure to check all these out when I'm back in America's Dairyland :P

croppincarla
Veteran
croppincarla
In response to elison

You MUST check out HANNAHS in Antioch IL, its not that far from Kenosha is you know the area, its off of 173 and 83
Here is the blog with store info
http://hannahsdt.blogspot.com/

They have a very very nice big scrapping section. As someone else mentioned Archivers in Gurnee Mills (Gurnee IL is also another place to go)

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to croppincarla

Thanks croppincarla.
Yeah...I know where Antioch is. My friend lives in Salem..like 15-20 min from Kenosha. And Antioch isn't more than like 15 min from Salem if I'm not misstaken. So that one is definitely going on my list of places to check out.
Loved the blog too

croppincarla
Veteran
croppincarla
In response to elison

ok good, glad that you know where Antioch is, you will love Hannah's. Its not just a scrap book store but a cute store with home decor, a beading section, some clothes, crocs, jewelry, Pandora, Vira Bradley. I go there mainly for scrap booking supplies though! They are pretty good about having NEW items in stock, and they have a pretty BIG clearance section too!

New Kid On the Block

I live in Kenosha and my daughter attends UW-Madison. There are 2 other stores I can think to add. One would be Michaels -- a large one in Gurnee not too far from the Archivers and a small one in Racine that's moving to a new larger location, I'm just not sure when. The other is Joann. We have a small one in Kenosha that doesn't have the greatest selection but there's a nice store in Greenfield(Milwaukee). The Scrapbook Store in Greenfield(Milwaukee) is one of my favorite LSS. Hannah's is a wonderful store. I love going there, not just for scrapbook supplies but all of their other goodies. And I definitely recommend a stop at the Archivers in Gurnee. They have a wonderful staff, very friendly and helpful. Don't forget to get you hands on some coupons, 40% off coupons are not unusual.

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to sorfammom

Croppincarla: Awesome.....I LOVE clearance (well honostly...who doesn't?).

Sorfammom. Cool that your daughter goes to UW-Madison. I went to UW-Platteville when I was over there. But I've been to Madison quite a few times.
Thanks for the tips about stores and coupons.
I love that you guys have coupons for almost everywhere. They're not common over here at all.

btw....I have to say I'm overwhelmed by how many helpful responses I've got. Thanks soooo much.
I'll have to make a list of all the stores. I think with this selection I have to dedicate a couple days to get around to all off them

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison
In response to elison

So it's getting closer to my trip now. Just 12 more days.

btw....I'm thinking of getting a scrapbook-tote while I'm over there.
You guys have any to recommend? And is there any that are collapsible, so it's easier for me to bring it back here?!?

croppincarla
Veteran
croppincarla
In response to elison

I have no idea. I know that Archivers has several totes to choose from but I never look at them because I never travel with my scrappy stuff. Good luck finding something.

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison

Thanks.

I have monthly crops with some of my friends, so I take my stuff around a lot. But tote's are just so expensive over here.

But then again....it's a big item to have in my suitcase, so might not be worth the save in money.

Maybe I can find on that I can use as my carry-on bag on my way home.

Well...I'm just rambling on now. Thanks for the tip croppincarla.

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to elison

• elison Said:
Thanks momma_papparazzi for clearing that up for me! It makes sense.

I've only been to Milwaukee once myself, but can recommend it. Loved the city.

Where by the MN border do you live? I have a friend that lives in Coon Valley. So I've been around that area.

I live 10 or so miles from the MN border. About 5-6 miles south of the interstate (I-94).

I would like to take a couple of days this summer and take the kids to Milwaukee. Stop at the zoo and tour around the city and surrounding area.

I have very distant relatives that live in Norway. My great grandfather came over from Norway I want to say somewhere between 1905-1912. My great aunts and uncles go back to visit and they have had relatives from Norway come visit them. I really need to get my photos scrapped from when Robert came here a handful of years back.

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison

So up by Hudson and that area???

Sounds like a great trip you guys are taking to Milwaukee. You'll have lots of fun.

So cool that you have relatives from Norway. WI and MN is definitely the place to go to meet people of norwegian decent.
You should go to Westby or Stoughton...they really bring out the norwegian in WI

elison
elison 
New Kid On the Block
elison

So I have arrived, and I'm ready to go scrap-shopping Thanks for all your advise

Expert
In response to elison

Have fun!! Let us know of all your wonderful finds!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics