Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Vertical vs Horizontal storage?        (Topic#1558925)
binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom

Which is better? I have metal shelves that I have to stack my paper on, but I am sick of taking all the paper off the shelf to find the sheets I want. I read somewhere that vertical storage was better and held more paper. Opinions?

*jesse*
Idol
*jesse*
In response to binkiemonstermom

I'm not sure which is "better", probably whichever one meets your needs! I have used the Cropper Hopper vertical holders with dividers that you linked, but they just didn't work well for me. They tipped over a lot (probably because I had them overloaded!) and, IMO, were hard to flip through (again, probably due to overload). I just bought some zip-up divided paper cases from HL and they seem to work well for now.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to *jesse*

I would like to organize my paper more so I can find what I need more. I would like to organize to colors and then separately for patterns.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda

I made an open a shelf system (horizontal), then changed it to vertical.

I didn't think I'd like vertical, but I do. For me, it's easier to take out one storage box and flip through the paper, than to pull out what I had on the shelf.

I still have the wire shelves, but use the vertical boxes inside them.

Scrap armoire By Bxr-Linda

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Bxr-Linda

I agree with Jesse. If I didn't have the wire cubes, my paper boxes would probably fall over too.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Bxr-Linda

My solution to any "fall over" problem is to make sure that my paper shelf is stuffed real good

New Furniture By Runzalot81

Gelidy Gelato
Diva
Gelidy Gelato

I went from horizontal storage to vertical and never looked back.

I found it so much easier to flip through and find my papers when they were stored vertically.

Having to go through a stack of horizontal papers was time consuming and sometimes damaged the corners.

Rosita
Rosita 
Governor
Rosita
In response to Gelidy Gelato

I love storing mine vertically. It's easier to pull out just one sheet of pp, no matter where in the stack it is.

dotfree
Guru
dotfree
In response to Rosita

I store paper vertically using Cropper Hopper holders.

Just G
Just G 
Queen
Just G
In response to dotfree

horizontal is difficult to go through unles you have the wire shelves. i have a horizontal drawer system now and hate it. I miss my wire shelves.

Nancy Keslin
Queen
Nancy Keslin
In response to Just G

I too am vertical. would never go back.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel
In response to Nancy Keslin

Another vertical paper storer here: mainly because of space and lack of furniture. My paper all goes into 2 12.5x12.5x5 magazine holders which sit on the floor right next to my chair. I have everything in bags by set or still in their paper pads, and I just lift out the bag/paper pad I want. It takes up very little space and the papers don't get dog-eared.

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to RedSquirrel

I'm horizontal. I had them vertically at one time but the paper was difficult for me to look through. I now store them in the sterlite drawer cart which is actually a kraft keeper box.
I have added a few more 12x12 drawers to store my paper stacks. Drawers are labeled by categories:
1. cardstock
2. basic grey (I keep all packs together)
3. events/seasonal
4. creative memories
5. designer (usually pp that I bought by the sheet)
6. large scraps
7 & 8 paper packs
9. page kits

This works for me b/c paper stays covered and protected and I can pull out what I want to use for crops pretty easily and put into my wheeled crop bag.

Hev
Hev 
Guru
Hev
  • Hev on 05-24-11 03:58 AM

I have most of my paper in 12 x12 bags by manufacturer or kit stored vertically and my cardstock is vertical in a crate.

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse
In response to Hev

Vertical! I just got a wire file cart and hanging file folders - totally love it! I use both clear plastic 12x12 hanging folders for larger sheets and 11x17 folders for 8.5x11 and larger scraps. I'm loving this because I can keep all my sizes of cardstock together and the smaller stuff doesn't get lost with the bigger stuff...

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Hev

I have both-my paper packs are vertical but my single sheets are stored in drawers sorted by various themes. I think eventually I might go vertical, but while horizontal works for me I am going to stick with it.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to MrsAnnieS

I am currently vertical, but was just as happy with horizontal. For me the change was about the aesthetics of my room.

When I was horizontal I used the 13x13 sterlite drawers mentioned earlier in this thread. They were fine. I found that since the drawers weren't too deep they were relatively easy to flip through without damaging paper and the clear front enabled me to see in to generally go to the correct drawer within the first or second try. When these drawers are over filled they will damage paper.

As my scrap space doubles as a dining room, they were the plastic storage eyesore making my dining room look cheap. Perfectly nice in a craft room, tacky in my dining room. I got a large dining room furniture set and got rid of my plastic. In the buffet, I am able to keep vertical cropper hopper files. Just like the drawers when they are over full the don't behave as well. They don't stand up well, they get harder to flip through, and putting paper in and out of it can damage the paper.

IMO both work very well.. as long as you don't over stuff. I know it's hard to stop shopping when the paper is full. (the higher power can see my over full storage and vouch for my addictions)

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to Msceejay2000

I have cardstock on wire racks which are tipped up horizontal. Pattern Papers are in vertical file folders sorted by manufacturer or color.

My newly organized paper stash. By Scrap4brains

Megan - ForumTech
The Janitor
Megan - ForumTech
In response to scrap4brains

I went vertical years ago - never failed, what I needed was on the bottom, or I'd bend a corner, with the trays.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Megan - ForumTech

I use the Cropper Hopper vertical storage. I actually just ordered the 8x8 holder. They work great for me because I don't have a HUGE paper stash, so I don't have tons to sort. I also store the holders together on a rolling cart that had rails on the sides, so they can't fall over.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics