Username Post: Classic Car Scrapbook        (Topic#1559027)
cindy71
Resident
cindy71

I'm hoping someone out here can give me some inspiration and advice. I'm making a scrapbook for my dad's car (1956/57 Plymouth Belvedere) that has been restored and customized. I have pictures of the whole process from the rusted metal to the shiny, immaculate, amazing work of love. It's known as the Shark.

I do a lot of scrapbooking, but my style tends towards the feminine. (I'm a proud member of Swirlydoos, if that tells you anything.) I need ideas to make this scrapbook that he will, in theory, take with him to car shows to display the process he went through to restore it.

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Cindy

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to cindy71

The car sounds really cool, Cindy. And you know a lot of love and effort went into it. It really does deserve to be journaled for posterity! You know I had a similar problem when wanting to create a scrapbook for DH when our new warehouse went up. Had tons of photos (4x6) but no ideas. What I finally did was buy 3-up photo albums that hold 4x6 pics, placed the pics in the slots, did some journaling on index-sized cards, and used some really neat Tim Holtz stuff for embellishing it a bit. We had so many photos we wound up with 2 of these albums. But he loves them and shows them around. Job well done, I say. But check out Tim Holtz of Ranger Ink. He has a terrific line of embellishments and other things that are pretty masculine. Good luck!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Expert
In response to ASiverson

I actually made a scrapbook for my aunt that has a classic car. I used two old license plates as covers and cut the 12x12 cardstock in half so it was the same size of the license plates. Then bound it with binder rings. I used paper from the lost and found Tim Holtz stack. It turned out really cute!!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to scrappy_day

I'd definitely agree about Tim Holtz's stuff, very masuline and retro-esq. I'd also suggest doing a gallery search for masculine pages, or classic cars-there are fabulous ideas in the gallery and it is where I always go when I need a more guy friendly page

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to MrsAnnieS

I did a single page of a motorcycle project my husband did. I used some metals and mesh, and some screw-head eyelet/snaps.

Good ideas so far. Depending on how many photos you have, you may want to use the pocket type page protectors, so not every photo is 'scrapped.'

I'd go for metallic and shiny looks, with simple lines and few embellishments. Maybe some leather?

There are embellishments out there that have checkered flags and flames (hot rod-style).

justowen
Governor
justowen
In response to Bxr-Linda

I would do a search for ads for that car and consider using the fonts, colors and styles of the ads..at least for the finished car pics.

I think it would be fun to start off with more grungy pages for the "before" pics and lead up to the clean crisp look of the ads they used to sell the car originally...but that's just me and my weird style.

This sounds like such a fun album and I'd love to see it when it's finished..or when each lo is finished.

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to ASiverson

Thanks! I love Tim Holtz! Total addict to the Distress Ink, but I hadn't considered the Advantus and papers. And I completely agree about the grungy early look and the cleaner crisp look...my weird style also! One of the pages in my gallery - Hidden Potential - is the first page in the scrapbook and that was total grunge! And I will definitely look into the ideas for the font for the car - hadn't thought of that either...I love this site!

Edited by cindy71 on 05-26-11 01:12 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

cindy71
Resident
cindy71
In response to justowen

I will be posting them as I go - thanks for the advice!

vawm
vawm 
Governor
vawm
  • vawm on 05-26-11 06:54 PM
In response to cindy71

Here is one I did. I really like the grungy look for cars.
Classics By Vawm

Edited by vawm on 05-26-11 06:57 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to vawm

All terrific ideas! and I love the layout Victoria, gorgeous! Cindy, I'm gonna pop over to your gallery to see Hidden Potential. Can't wait and I'm sure it's beautiful!

ASiverson
Expert
ASiverson
In response to ASiverson

Just popped back over from your gallery, Cindy. Left a comment on Hidden Potential, but also want to say all of your work is wonderful! TFS!

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics