Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Follow Up on the cardstock question....        (Topic#1559149)
MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

Earlier in the week, someone asked about our preferences for cardstock. While I'm not asking that, I do wonder (as someone still like-new to the craft) how much of each of your preferred colors you stock up on when you go shopping?

Do you buy 5 of each? 10? more?

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to MommaSaid

As many as I can fit in my shopping cart.

Seriously though, I like to have a handful of each color at all times. *Just in case*.

Msceejay2000
Veteran
Msceejay2000
In response to kelseymel

If it's on a really good sale I'll buy every color they have and 2 or 3 of the colors I think I'll use most.

Just a sale, 2-3 of whatever colors I *think* I need.

Not on sale... I know exactly what I need and that is the only thing I'll buy. Generally paper in hand looking for a match.

moxiegirl23
Queen
moxiegirl23
In response to Msceejay2000

the only ones I buy a bunch of are grays and browns because I tend to use a lot of the same shades of each over and over.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 05-29-11 05:54 AM
In response to Msceejay2000

I stock up on black and dark brown - buy those in the 25 sheet packs. I use them as shadows or backdrops for LOTS of stuff (shadow for Pooh or Tigger, bottom mat for photos, shadow for letters, etc).

I usually have a few 'themed' albums running around in my head so if I find the perfect solid color for one of those I stock up immediately - because Murphy says it won't be there when I need it! For example, when I was planning DS's wedding album I knew I wanted to use red and black (their wedding colors). When I found the perfect shimmery red, I bought the entire stock. Turns out I needed just a few more and of course it wasn't available any more.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to MommaSaid

My favorite colors I do stock up on. I definitely get 6-10 when I order. Of course, when I was shopping at HL for my 4th of July papers, I found a bunch and got 3 of each... WAY too many. Oh, well. I have paper enough now for TEN holidays!

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to meezerpleaser

Thank you for all the input! It's interesting to see that, just like style preferences, there are a variety of answers.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

black and dark brown are the ones I use the most (well, except for white for stamping and sentiments and cards, but I buy that 250 sheets at a time!) and I do buy a ton of those,,,along with burgundy red, sage green and rose pinks,,,

the brights I buy only one or two of just to have some around.

wilbur
wilbur 
Expert
wilbur
In response to CommaHolly

If paper is on sale and I pick a pattern, I always buy at least 2 each. This I learned from experience. I buy more of solids, usually 4 of each color. Another hard learned leason -- when purchasing patterned paper always match with some solids at the time you are buying. Don't wait to get home and find you don't have the right shade.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid

I think....doing the math to try to answer my own question... I think I'd buy about 20 of each color if I were to stock up all at once. I thought 5 of each might be enough, but a recent project has taught me that I can blow through that all too easy.

250 white pages! How long does it take to count that all out? Or do you just order that much to save sanity?

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to MommaSaid

it's for cards and stamping, so I buy a package of 110 lb white cardstock 8.5x11 at Staples

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl

When I was scrapping my kids when they were little, I'd buy more of the bright cardstocks. Now my staples are black, espresso, and white.
I still have some brights & other colors but they are more muted tones. I had a DCWV paper pack in my hand yesterday w/beautiful bright colors for $5.99 but put it back b/c I don't use a heck of a lot of it anymore. It is interesting to see the different answers, even in ourselves as our scrapping style changes over the years.

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat
In response to gluemore girl

I always have white, black & kraft on hand. When I know I need more I stock up. When I am buying colors I only buy what I need for whatever pp I'm also buying. I generally scrap by collection so I have cs to match each collection in my stash.

ChansGram
Queen
ChansGram
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

I buy according to the sale.
If they're 4/$1.00- I get 4 of each color I need/want.

If they're 5/$1.00- I get 5.

I use tons of pink- so i always double up on those shades.

The last time J's had their pp-5/$1.00. I bought 300 sheets.
I felt so bad for the cashier, they have to scan each one!

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to ChansGram

You guys are lucky. Basic Bazzill retails at 80c per sheet in Western Australia, unless there is a sale on, and even then the best I've seen was 70c. And the Aus$ is about the same as the US$ at the moment.

Lamoo12
Governor
Lamoo12
In response to RedSquirrel UK

with boys, i have a lot of blues. red, white, and black are colors that i use a lot too. my green stash isn't too bad. but brown, yellow and orange is very thin.

i also base my LO colors on the pic, not things i like.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Lamoo12

I have only bought cardstock by the sheet a couple of times. I typically buy packs.

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Bxr-Linda

Your question made me laugh. I had no idea I was so hung up on blue and green papers until I did my scraproom and actually sorted my paper where I could see it. One thing for certain - I'm not buying any more green or blue paper until I whittle down those stacks! I buy black and white in the 25-sheet packs. Other than that, I never buy less than 2 sheets of any shade.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara
In response to dwelch

I didn't realise how much white I use until i stopped to answer this question! I buy whites by the package: a pack of 25 copic quality white, a pack of 25 stampin Up whisper white (which I love for stamping when I don't use copics- it's cheaper but excellent quality for stamps) and a pack of American Crafts textured 12X12 whites (not sure how many come in that pack) for making the bases of cards.

I also always have packs of American Crafts CS in neutrals (4 sheets per colour), brights(4 sheets per colour), and tropicals(4 sheets per colour), cheap packages of black and dark brown cs for matting (25 packs of each), and Stampin Up packs in Brights (2 sheets per colour), Subtles (2 sheets per colour), Vanilla (25 sheets), and Pear Pizzaz (25 sheets).

And I always keep one of those rainbow packs of cheapie cardstock (solid core) on hand for cutting layers with my cricut.

Wow. When did this cardstock addiction happen?

Edited by mercytiara on 05-31-11 04:37 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

RedSquirrel UK
Diva
RedSquirrel UK
In response to mercytiara

I now have 3 stacks in 3 years (2x48s and 1x75), plus a bag of Bazzill discontinued sale colours, one of each - about 30 I think. I buy page protectors which have white and black sheets inside them and use those too. I rarely buy single sheet card-stock unless it's for a specific project.

I just measured and it's less than 3" of card-stock. That's not much really, is it?

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics