Username Post: Overwhelmed        (Topic#1559277)
WBE
WBE 
New Kid On the Block
WBE
  • WBE on 05-31-11 11:40 AM

I have been wanting to make a scrapbook for a while now. I was going to run to Hobby Lobby tonight and get supplies. I just looked on the supply list and it is crazy. I dont even know what half of the items are. Suggestions for a first time trip to Hobby Lobby? So far the only things I need to put in the scrapbook are pictures, movie stubs, event stubs, personal letters.. Any advice would be great!

theellenbee
Pro
theellenbee
In response to WBE

My advice is to buy a kit and start small. Chances are the first scrapbook that you do won't be your best and years later you might regret using precious pictures and memorabilia. I know you probably want to just jump in but like baking, you would never start with a wedding cake from scratch but probably cupcakes from a mix. Good luck and above all have fun!

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to theellenbee

Welcome to scrapbook.com

My opinion on BASICS to start with:

-A paper trimmer
-adhesive (an adhesive runner is a good start)
-paper or cardstock

From there, you can build your tools and supplies.
There are lots of posts here in the forums about favorite tools, adhesive, things/tools people dislike.

Have fun!

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Bxr-Linda

might help to buy a 'stack' of paper, that way you have the coordination done for you...some stacks also include solids.

and a good journaling pen, I find I grab my Zig Millenium Fine point the most.

Products Referenced in This Post:

Kirilee
Tenant
Kirilee
In response to mjmone

Oh and don't forget an album. Quite honestly, The best way to start is with an album- that way you dont have to worry about making a sturdy cover to protect your pages, and you can embellish it later

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to Kirilee

• Kirilee Said:
Oh and don't forget an album. Quite honestly, The best way to start is with an album- that way you dont have to worry about making a sturdy cover to protect your pages, and you can embellish it later

I think it depends on the type of album you use and it also depends on personality. Personally, I don't buy albums until I have a lot of layouts done that do not fit in a current album. I use American Crafts D-Ring albums so sometimes I put them in page protectors and have them in a pile until I put them in an album.

papermouse
Veteran
papermouse
In response to Here Kitty

Where are you getting a "supply list?"

Bxr-Linda had great suggestions for basics. For the personal letters you want to include, if you don't want to glue the letter to the page, maybe some pretty envelopes you can glue onto the pages so you can fold the letters up and tuck them inside?

Definitely a journaling pen, page protectors, album, tape runner, and a package of cardstock in colors you like.

I think there are some great beginner tutorials on this site in the resources tab. Also, if you have specific questions about something on your list, let us know!

Good luck, and try not to get overwhelmed!

riorabbit
Queen
riorabbit
In response to papermouse

My personal suggestion is to start with an album and pages. I really like the We R Memory Keepers albums. I use them with regular photo sleeves (see the selection below) and 12x12 page protectors. To start with, I would organize my photos into these sleeves. I put my photos in these, then I make layouts only of the photos that I really want to. Most of us have too many photos to scrapbook them all. Organizing this way helps you to see what you want to scrapbook first and how much of what types of themes you have.

I also highly suggest the ATG gun listed below. You may want to start with a cheaper adhesive first, but if you make a few pages and like it, this is by far the best bang for your buck.

Also, consider a crop at a scrapbook store or a class. That way you can make a page or two and buy supplies while there to finish what you are working on instead of stocking up on any specific item.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to riorabbit

Okay, I'm going to slightly modify/add to my suggestion above.

First decide on a size you want to scrap (12x12 is the most used these days). As far as Albums, I would recommend 3-ring/D-ring albums. Easy to use and add and more pages around.

One of the first pages I scrapped was 8 1/2 x 11. I never got an album that size, and don't scrap that size.

Smashley
Idol
Smashley
In response to Bxr-Linda

I will pretty much echo what the rest of the ladies here have already said. Start small so that you don't feel overwhelmed. You said you already have photos to scrap, so I would pick 2-4 of them and just focus on making one or two pages. Then you'll have a pretty good idea of how you like to scrap and what else you'll need besides the basic adhesive, cardstock, patterned paper and album.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to WBE

my first suggestion is to sign up for the free lessons here on scrapbook.com

Here is the link:
http://www.scrapbook.com/university/learntoscr apbook.ph...

It will give you and overview of everything and it helps a great deal. It will give you the basics you need and then move on from there. It is so worth it.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to PhotobearSam

if you want to get all the lessons at once, I am sure I could email you mine.

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to WBE

try this link.....Has a lot of info.

http://www.scrapbook.com/university/?utm_sourc e=scrapbo...

PhotobearSam
Idol
PhotobearSam
In response to WBE

Found this if you want to see all the lessons.

http://www.scrapbook.com/articles/tech/365.html?utm_sou...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to PhotobearSam

When I first got back into scrapping I bought paper packs. I peeled off the cardboard front and back and set them out and put my pictures and momentos and things on the cardboard and the cover turned over so it was white.

I had about 4 pages to work with that way and could see how each page would basically look. When I got it all arranged I picked papers from the stack or bought what I needed and I knew what else I needed to go on the page.

Even now if I hit a block I have a stack of cardboards or 12 x 12 white junk paper with the front of the stack on the other side. I have layed out as many as 20 or 30 of them and put my layouts loosely on them.

I'm doing a lot of waterfall and Big Island layouts now and they aren't coming to me - I don't know what I want on each page and I may have to go back to that for a couple pages to get over this hurdle.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Henri Jean

Wanted to report that I just tried what I said I should do and used to do.

I layed 3 white 12 x 12's on my scrap desk and set pictures on them to get some ideas - I've been just staring at the picures for 2 days.

As soon as I put pictures on the pages I knew immediately that I did't want patterned paper, I wanted cardstock. Then it flowed, I knew what embellishments to use and in about 10 minutes the layouts had just about worked themselves.

Guess I'd better go back to using that system more often.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics