Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: spellbinders Help,,,,,,,,        (Topic#1559725)
CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly

I have something like this, and I am having a TERRIBLY difficult time getting the diecut OUT of the die without tearing,,,,,,I've not had any of the regular shapes give me any problem, they pop right out,,,,not sure if it's due to the tiny cuts or what, but it's driving me crazy,,,,,,

any thoughts??

Edited by CommaHolly on 06-09-11 05:53 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 06-09-11 05:55 PM
In response to CommaHolly

It's very ornate and might need to be used on heavier paper.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Obi

tried that,,,,,,,still having huge problems

some of the tiny cut outs appear to be half cut, so I added a cs shim, which has helped cut them all the way through,,,,,,,which has helped getting them out a little bit,,,,,,but geesh, they are a pain in the rear

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 06-09-11 06:25 PM

Sometimes very onrnate patterns do not cut out 100%

You can try adding an extra weight above the die or scoring the little bits which have stuck or using a tiny scaple to cut the rest out.

And yes it is a PITA.

runzalot81
Mayor
runzalot81
In response to Obi

I shim like crazy. You have a Cuttlebug? I like to use the thick, shiny Spellbinder packaging insert as a shim. Works beautifully!

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to runzalot81

Holly- this is a case where an exacto knife would come in handy to poke the pieces out.

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Seaexplore

I have one thats really ornate and I usually run it through once, turn it 90 degrees and run it through again. That usually gets it to cut all the way through. Then I use a pokey tool to poke out all the small parts first before I try taking the actual die cut out of the die. Sometimes I have to pry up a corner with a pin to get it started or I use the poke tool and push on an area thats embossed to get it out. They are challenging sometimes, but so pretty and worth the effort.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to cat_woman

ahhhhh thanks for the help,,,,,turning it 90 degrees made a huge difference,,,,,I did manage to get one corner up and I just wiggled and eased it up,,,,,,,

took a bit of practice, but I managed to get several out without ripping it

I have a big shot, alyssa,,,,,,,I've never had to shim ANYTHING before, but it appears that these need shimming.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956

I do as suggested turning it also I use my tim holtz piercer and gently push on the paper from the back side. Another trick is to take the packaging from the spellbinder and use it to shim your die.

Good luck I've got some really ornate labels that give me fits.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Sneezy1956

they are definitely a PITA! But so darned pretty!!! I think I've got it now,,,,,definitely work, but worth it!

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

The guy who works at my LSS warned me that the ornate Spellbinders are time consuming to get out of the dies (he knows my lazy scrapping style). They are so gorgeous though... Glad you figured out how to get them to work!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

It's Karma. The Universe is telling you to stop tantalizing us poor girls with all of your spellbinder/nestie talk.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're figuring it out and I'd love to see the finished product. (So I can drool and add more things to my wish list.)

3MiniSchnauzers
Idol
3MiniSchnauzers
In response to kelseymel

I had a problem getting the ornate ones out of the die once it was cut. I got so frustrated one night that I threw the thing on my craft table and the diecut popped out! Now this is how I get them out. LOL Whatever works, eh???

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:
It's Karma. The Universe is telling you to stop tantalizing us poor girls with all of your spellbinder/nestie talk.

Seriously, though, I'm glad you're figuring it out and I'd love to see the finished product. (So I can drool and add more things to my wish list.)

I got it for 11 bucks on EBAY buy it now INCLUDING shipping,,,,,,,,,,

it was a bargain.

mercytiara
Diva
mercytiara

I buy lots of stuff on eBay... Now why had I not thought of looking for spellbinders there?? Thanks for the tip

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

• kelseymel Said:

here ya go they ARE pretty, if a PITA!

Fleur de lis By CommaHolly

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Beautiful card Holly!

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

Wow, you're not kidding!

Gorgeous card!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to kelseymel

thank you!

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 06-13-11 04:33 PM

• CommaHolly Said:
  • kelseymel Said:

here ya go they ARE pretty, if a PITA!

Fleur de lis By CommaHolly

Pretty, pretty, pretty. I just adore that shade of turquiose.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics