Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: Border Cutters?        (Topic#1559869)
ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Im sorry i keep posting so many questions..but like ive said before i have plenty of the "essentials" to scrapbooking, the cardstock, paper trimmer, stickers, buttons, ribbons.. but now ive been thinking about border cutters? what are some of the most useful ones to you? like the basics? because i have alot of things i just need "tools" and another thing ive seen alot is the circle cutter.. with the scalloped one behind it what is the best scalloped circle cutter?

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ellybug312

You asked about border cutters - I really love the double border punches. Here is one of my favorites (it cuts both sides at once).

Cancun - Cookie Monster By Henri Jean

The brown piece near the bottom is the double sided punch. I have several double sided now and I love them.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to Henri Jean

Border punches are fun. There are so many to choose from it can be a little overwhelming. The first one I bought I HAD TO HAVE because I loved it. I never use it. Maybe browse thru the gallery here and see which ones really catch your eye.

I've read good and bad reviews for circle cutters, if you do a search in the forum you should come up with a helpful thread or two.

I made my own templates (circle, scalloped circle, etc.) with a good old fashioned pencil and a piece of paper. I then traced them onto cardboard and cut those out. A lot of work, but free.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to kelseymel

Don't feel bad about asking a lot of questions. If you wonder about something, I am sure that dozens of others have the same question. The answers are helpful to all of us. Do not buy cheap border punches... get good quality and you will use them endlessly! Use a coupon somewhere and get your favorite 2. Try not to pick 2 that are very similar. One basic and one fancy should keep you going for a long time.

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to pinkpaperairedale

This is a great question!!! I recently got into border bunches! I have bought a couple here and there. Which ones does everyone recommend?

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to binkiemonstermom

I don't have very many Border Punches, but I love my Fiskars Sunburst border punch. I really want Martha Stewart's border punch that has the loops. I just can't bring myself to pay $30.00 for it. I don't have a Micheal's or any other place close by to get or use a coupon...

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to debby_westbrook

These are some of my favs

Cris Mulezini
Pro
Cris Mulezini

Wow, ladies, I just love border punches either, but yes - price scares... So, I would go with kelseymel: take a look at the gallery and search what catches your eyes.
Have a nice week!

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Cris Mulezini

you can also use these in a cuttlebug or big shot (or other similar machine)

the upside to this is that for the cost of one decent punch,,,,,,you can get a whole set of 2-7 depending on the shape or border.

the nestabilities are awesome because you can NEST them (hence the scalloped circle BEHIND the circle with the scallops peeking out.)

but they are addictive,,,,,,,,,,be very very afraid!

Products Referenced in This Post:

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to CommaHolly

I have a major addiction to MS border punches ... especially the around-the page ones

I adore them all and use them a ton

as for circle cutters, I still love my CM ones, especially the 12x12 jumbo one

but Holly is making me lust after those Nestabilities in a very big way ...

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to madmatter

Thanks for all of the suggestions, but holly, i love the idea of the Nestabilities & spellbinders but can you use them without the cuddlebug... just something to trace & cut out? and i was looking at the martha stewart cutters and wondering if they are worth the $...or if i should find a double sided punch like suggested also i dont really know where or what brands carry those though. ???

ColbyCheeseCat
Diva
ColbyCheeseCat

Double sided punches are just border punches with a double design. MS has tons are exactly that even if they don't say double edge. The ones I listed are only the actual double edge but many more would work for that look too.

EK Success makes them as well. Marvy Uchida *might*, I haven't taken a close look at their edge punch system.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to ColbyCheeseCat

The layout at the top is a MS double edge. I am using those a lot more than the single edge border punches lately. The punch is the brown strip near the bottom on top of the blue.

bgsl56
bgsl56 
Expert
bgsl56

I have accumulated about 30 Martha Stewart punches and use them a lot. Especially like the punch around the page sets. They add a lot of interest to a page. Have a couple Fiskars, but find them harder to punch.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to bgsl56

Henri Jean! i love the cookie monster LO!!! I love that punch! it is so pretty! I am thinking of going with a double sided punch.. i feel like i might get more for the price. Also im checking out Martha Stewarts around the page punches they look so fun, and since ive began scrapbooking ive enjoyed journaling and i think that they are the perfect thing for me to add to my shopping list! I am also still wondering about the nestablities spellbinders..but can you cut and trace them? or do you have to have a machine?

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

You have to have a machine for the Spellbinders dies. They're too expensive to just use as a template to trace and cut around! The dies are actual metal dies - the pictures linked with the product above is the finished die cut you get from the dies.

Edited by Here Kitty on 06-15-11 10:51 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Here Kitty

I do not have nestbilities. Would love to but that is on a back burner, as is a machine to use them with. My spending on scrap supplies has been over the top so time to pull in the reins!

I like the look of the double sided punches in my scrapbooks and I love to journal!

I will often scrap two different events on one page and use the double sided punch down the middle to divide the two.

I scrap funny stories a lot which may or may not have a picture and the double side punch is great for dividing those! Or just for decorations when I have something like the cookie monster layout with a place that needs something!

Thank you for the compliment.

You can really do this without a lot of tools and many local scrapbook stores and Michaels will let you use the tools. Then if you love them, you can buy them.

Many of the places have a Big Shot or Cuttlebug or something you can use too. Before I purchase one I want to try them a few times and see if it is something I will use.

The nestabilities are especially popular with the ladies who make cards! I think they would be great for scrapbooking too. Someday.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312

Thank you!Henri jean- I took your advice i read on the scrapbook you did when you were a teenager and you and your huspand now wonder about where/when/why were the pics took. Im begining to jornal alot more because im making a scrapbook, and i dont want to be like "why was this took? what did we do at the mountains?" i also love your layouts ive learned alot from yours imperticular because you have been so many places and not all of yours is pictures of people it is memerable stuff i really needed help with the scenery pictures. Im still not sure of how i want to layout my mountain pictures.. they are beautiful and i have so many of them and love them all the same. soo im thinking about it.. and i think that im going to try to get a double sided punch to seperate great idea! & bqsl56 & ColbyCheeseCat- im really debateing on trying some martha stewart punches i think i would love them!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

In my opinion, for what it is worth, I think MS punches are the best made and fold up nicely.

I'm working on volcao lava pictures now. At least I'm on the last 2 pages of Volcaoes National Park. I have it roughly laid out on white so I can see what colors jump out at me.

Once I pick colors it will come together very quickly.

I'm not making titles as I photographed signs which say where it is.

On thing I usually do is ask for a take-out menu and if they are nice I use them in the scrapbooks. If the paper is questionable I photocopy it in color.

If they give me an origional menu it is usually too large and plastic-y so I photocopy it and reduce it a bit.

My next layout which I would like to get ready to have planned and colors picked is the Mauna Loa nut farm.

One thing I do is take picture of signs everywhere before the other photos. that gives me a point of reference as to what a building or statue or other thing is. Then I can jump on the interest and get more inofmation.

mandiescrapbooks
Tenant
mandiescrapbooks

any of the martha stewart border punches are the best! great quality, worth the price. (:

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics