Username Post: Paper trimmer: I need a new one.        (Topic#1559931)
armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper

I need a new Trimming board! I have bought two so far and hate them both. Can anyone tell me what to look for and which is the best.

Money is not an issue because this is a necessity!

Please help me!

pieces of me
Expert
pieces of me
In response to armyscraper

I have 4 Tonic Trimmers in various sizes. They are guiolltine style. I LOVE THEM! I have the 12x12, 12x6, 8-1/2" and 6".
Products Referenced in This Post:

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to pieces of me

I have had this one for 3 years and love it.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to scrap4brains

Here are some other threads. You can also look at products in the store and there will be reviews on them from members.

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15586...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15585...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15579...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15548...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15524...

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15500...

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to amandahugandkiss

And here is how I found them:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15530...

scrappinmylife
Expert
scrappinmylife

Does anyone know where I can get the trimmer that lights up? My friend has one and I love it.

amandahugandkiss
Diva
amandahugandkiss
In response to scrappinmylife

Yes you can get it here!!!

Fiskars - 12 Inch LED SureCut Folding Rotary Paper Trimmer - Blade Style F

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch

There is also one called a Cutterpillar (by Cutterpede, I believe) that has a light. It's a rotary one. If you want a GREAT guillotine style, try a Tonic!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to dwelch

I love the rotary ones! My regular Fiskars has perfect alighnment for mats with no measuring and I find it foolproof as long as I push the paper flush against the side. It is so fast.

I have one at home and one in my crop box.

I would love the Fiskars lighted rotarary but I don't need one now. I have to wear these two out first and one is lmost brand new!

Guillotine styles don't work for me. Never want another.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Henri Jean

I switched to a guillotine chopper b/c I was tired of my trimmers tugging and pulling my paper. Even a brand new one did! That was the last straw for me! Seems no matter where I got it or how much I paid for it, they were all junk (wait-I take that back: my first trimmer was $6 at a dollar store. It lasted a long time! The lady at Hobby Lobby, where I had gone to get supplies to begin scrapbooking, held up a $28 trimmer, which blew my whole budget of $25 for supplies!) I love my chopper and will never go back to a trimmer!

CorrieW
Guru
CorrieW
In response to dwelch

• dwelch Said:
There is also one called a Cutterpillar (by Cutterpede, I believe) that has a light. It's a rotary one. If you want a GREAT guillotine style, try a Tonic!

I have one and I love it, the light is a fantastic feature. I didn't realize how much I would love the light. BTW it is not made by cutterpede, but it does have a lifetime warranty especially on the blade

Edited by CorrieW on 06-16-11 10:54 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to CorrieW

I have an ANCIENT Fiskar's rotary that I LOVE and have used for at least 15 years. It looks like this one.
Products Referenced in This Post:

cat_woman
Expert
cat_woman
In response to Seaexplore

The only advice I can give you about trimmers is to stay away from the ones with the little v-type blades. They dull quickly and tear the paper rather than slicing it. Your best bet for a trimmer is either a guillotine or rotary blade style trimmer. I've had my Making Memories trimmer for about 2 years now and it works great. It has a self-sharpening blade so I get perfect clean cuts every time.

Bev1
Bev1 
Guru
Bev1
  • Bev1 on 06-16-11 02:08 PM
In response to cat_woman

I have a Dahl and it is fantastic.Its a rotary and will even cut slivers,The blade is self sharpening

Solitaire
Veteran
Solitaire
In response to Bev1

A guillotine is probably your best bet. It's strong enough to cut through a lot of papers with one quick slice, and there's nothing to get dull. The "blade" is not really a blade. It cuts by rubbing metal against metal.

I have two old heavy wooden ones purchased years ago at garage sales. One is 12" and one is 16". I don't know if the new plastic ones are as durable.

I have several trimmers as well. The rotary ones are more versatile since you can use interchangeable blades of different styles.

armyscraper
Veteran
armyscraper
In response to Solitaire

Thank you so much! I hate my trimmer.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to armyscraper

I had and loved the MM trimmer,,,,,,

but I just broke the SECOND in 2 years,,,,,

the first one, ok a flook,,,,,but TWO? no thanks,,,,,I'll stick with Fiskars.

NCScrapAddict
Pro
NCScrapAddict
In response to CommaHolly

Another vote for the Dahle. I have the 550. It was not cheap, but I am loving it.

gluemore girl
Veteran
gluemore girl
In response to NCScrapAddict

I recently switched to a Creative Memories rotary trimmer. I like that it has interchangeable blades for making wavy cuts as well as straight.

pinkpaperairedale
Guru
pinkpaperairedale
In response to gluemore girl

I am a Fiskars fan 100%. I have the rotary trimmer style plus a Guillotine. My rotary is so old that it doesn't even have the side piece you pull out to extend the measurements. It has a 3 hole punch on the opposite side of the trimmer. It works great... and I have only purchased replacement blades once. They are pretty cheap and I even used a 40% off coupon making them $3.00 for a set of 2 blades.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to pinkpaperairedale

I have the Fiskars rotary and it automatically measures the mats for me! I don't have to measure anything.

Its the rotorary and every one that has tried it has purchased one! I had a very expensive guillitine that I bought it an art store and it never worked right, although I could do a lot of paper at once, I couldn't do fine precision work and if the paper was too close to the top where the blad started or too close to the bottom it just tore it.

The Fiskars rotary has a clear oval where the plastic thing goes doen. I lay my picture on the cardstock I'm using for mat and push it up from the bottom of the bed or it. When the top of the picture is straight with the bottom of the little oval opening, it is the perfect place to cut for the mat.

Then I turn the cardstock sideways tapping the picture and cardstock on the table to get the picture straight on the bottom.

Lay it back on the bed with the top of the picture lining up with the bottom of the opening.

It takes about 4 seconds to make a perfect mat with no measuring.

If I want a thinner mat I push the top of the picture 1/4 way or 1/2 way into the opening and the mat is perfect.

I see people a crops struggling to get their mats right nad they just look at me and say, "How do you do a mat in seconds with no measuring or guessing? The Fiskars rotary does it!

Blades are super easy to change - I have two of them.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Henri Jean

the thing I love about my fiskars rotary trimmer is that it takes the same blades as my quilting rotary cutter. I just buy the blades in bulk and can use them in both. I don't have to remember to get blades since I always have them on hand.

Jalynne
Guru
Jalynne
In response to Seaexplore

• seaexplore Said:
the thing I love about my fiskars rotary trimmer is that it takes the same blades as my quilting rotary cutter. I just buy the blades in bulk and can use them in both. I don't have to remember to get blades since I always have them on hand.

I was starting to get interested with Henri Jean's description, but this just put it over the top. I, too, buy Fiskar's blades, and you just sold me on the rotary cutter! As soon as I can afford it, I'm getting one.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics