Page 2 of 6 
Username Post: VCW Week #224 - Making NEW friends and Renewing the old!        (Topic#1559979)
Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to DesiLee

Money can be an issue. We are fortunate that my husband spent his whole life saving up and planning for this part of his life so we are okay.

We are on a budget, being on social security and military retirement but we are still able to do pretty much what we want, we just have to be careful.

On our upcoming cruise we will not be spending hundreds every day on ships excursions on shore, we will venture out on our own, use public transportation, get with another couple and share the cost for a cab.

In one port (Malaysia) it was $175.00 I think, per person for the ships excursion into the city to see the sites. No way .... Just, no way. And the bus ride was an hour a 45 minutes each way. That is 3 1/2 hours on a bus.

We met another couple and paid $6.00 per couple to split a cab to the train station. Then for $7.00 each we got a round trip ticket to the city and it got there in well under an hour. So while the ships people were on a bus for an hour and an hour and 45 minutes, we were in the city having a great time.

We bought our lunch - so did they. We paid $3.00 for all-day monorail pass and went everywhere and saw all the same sites.

We had our train ticket back so we paid $6.00 for the two of us for our share of the cab fee back to the bus.

At the end of the day they paid $175.00 each - $350.00 per couple and spent 3 1/2 hours on a bus. Plus lunch.

We spent $15.00 each - $30.00 for Bill and me together for cab, train, monorail and back on the train and then cab to the ship, plus lunch.

We ate lunch together for under $15.00 so it was a $45.00 day for us.

Plus we spent about an hour and 15 minutes counting both ways into Kuala Lumpur. the spent 3 1/2 hours.

In Egypt we did not want to pay $275.00 for the excursion to the Valley of the Kings. We got into port and found out that you could not leave the port by the ship, couldn't go more than about 200' from the ship unless you were on a ship excursion.

Egyptian armed guards were there with heavy weapons to keep us next to the ship if we weren't on an excursion. We were not free to walk around at all. We didn't expect this, as in Alexandria Egypt we were able to walk around the city.

Anyway, we didn't have seats reserved and we didn't want to stay on the ship all day - we wanted to see Valley of the Kings and King Tut's tomb!

But not at $275.00 per person!

Bill walked to each of the tour buses (there were 19 of them I think) and asked each driver if they had seats. One did - said he had two extra seats. He let us have them - two for $175.00! That was under $82.00 each! He said the only thing was, we did get a Coke and bag of chips on the bus. But we got the tickets to see the tombs and the big lunch with everyone else that was paid as part of the tour.

In Ushia people paid $99.00 each for the end of the world train tour. At the dock we went to the train station and picked it up for $50.00 each. Same train - same ride, in fact the ones who paid $99.00 each were on our tour.

One of my favorites was the whale watching trip in Cabo San Lucas. We really wanted to go whale watching! It was over a hundred dollars per person.

Another couple wanted to go to so we went to the boats where they were loading the cruise ship people and Bill and the other man we were with pulled the boat guy over and asked how much. It was over a hundred dollars each.

The other wife said, We don't have that much, we can onlhy afford $28.00 each. The guy said, okay, I have plenty of seats and we went for $28.00 each!

So we watch pennies very carefully but I don't feel we sacrifice anything. We are comfortable, but we have to spend wisely and be careful.

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to Henri Jean

Hi honeys I'm hoooooooome!

*leaves bags of Egg McMuffins*

leebla
leebla 
Queen
leebla
In response to BlingQueenRia

Hey girls! Happy Sunday!
Getting ready to head to the lake for the week. Don't know how much I will be around!

Don't forget that you have until June 30th to go to Liz Moxie's CM website and place an order with ME as the host to participate in my catalog party! Come on, help a girl out or let all your scrappy friends know!!!

psssstttt......exclusive Cricut Cartridges

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia
In response to leebla

Hiyas!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to BlingQueenRia

Hi ladies. I've been insanely busy.

Elizabeth have fun at the lake.

Ria thanks for the egg mcmuffins.

Henri jean you are a very wise holiday-er! lol.

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee
In response to bcblondie

Hi ladies!

Have fun Elizabeth!

I'm getting ready to clean my kitchen, it really needs it. After that I'm going to do some laundry and spend some time in the craft room.

foltzy
foltzy 
Governor
foltzy
In response to DesiLee

I'm, you guessed it packing. I want to be all done by tomorrow night, so I'm pushing. Need to get DH to get me more boxes. It just took 5 to pack the stuff under my sink. Who knew I had that much stuff? I've accumulated so much stuff in the last 8 years. Even got rid of stuff I don't need.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to foltzy

We are in Columbia South Carolina tonight.

It was a nice day - glad its almost over though and we are in our motel!

corrie fan
Diva
corrie fan

Been paper wrangling this evening. Nothing scrappy but taking care of piles of paper and mags and books.

Books have been bagged to give to the book sale. Other books ready to put back into bookcase.

Mags - most of them tossed.

Bills and such sorted and ready to file.

Now I am sitting with a stack of mags to see why I kept them. If nothing jumps out, they'll join their friends in the recycling bin.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to corrie fan

Jane good job paper wrangling.

I've been playing with my alcohol inks.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

I should be reading articles on LORD OF THE FLIES, which I will be teaching (student teaching) in the fall. I really don't like the book, and I hope I never have to teach it after I graduate. But it's funny--I COULD teach this book easily. I think it's b/c I would not have to worry about doing the book justice. Can you teach a book by just saying what is bad about it? So while I should be doing scholarly stuff, I am playing around on the scrap site, hopping around and looking at cool LOs! I know my "free" time this summer is running out, though. Sooner or later, I will have to seriously give thought to lesson plans, etc (I have some ideas, but I need to take the time to work them out). Well, there's always tomorrow!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

i never thought I'd like a cruise, b/c I don't like the idea of getting dressed up for dinner. Do you have to do this? Or do you just do what you want? Maybe I would want to take a cruise someday. My mother and brother went on 2 cruises together, and I scrapped the tours for mom's scrapbook. They went to Alaska and Belize in the Carribbean. My brother sang to mom part of a Smoky Robinson song, saying "I love it when we're cruising together." So that was a natural title for the pages. I hope you have tons of fun, and I'm sure you're capturing every memory to scrap!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to jaspernonyx

Lord of the Flies was very interesting and horrible - but it made one of the largest impacts on me of any book I had to read in school. More than any Shakespeare or or Chaucer or anyone.

It made me realize how important organization and leadership is and how things run amuck when there isn't any. How innocense can turn to total destruction without cooperation and order. It really made me think and every once in a while I think of that book and I'm 62 now. I can't say that I really loved or enjoyed the book. But when I think about things I read in high school taht made a difference in the way I think, this is the one I think of. Much more of an impact than Romeo and Juliet and so many other things we had to read that I don't even remember the titles of.

Book it was well presented and was used to really make us think about society and how things can get out of hand. The fact that it was kids made that much more of an impact.

Wasn't there a character named Piggy - in fact wasn't he the one killed. Whenever kids started teasing the kids that didn't fit the "attractive kid mold" I always thought of him and it did change the way I acted and behaved towards people like that. Sometimes I'm tempted to go back and read it because it made such an impression.

If we are leaving one place in the US and returning to the same place I take a dressy outfit and a jacket for my husband. If we are going to board or disembark overseas I do not take dress-up clothes with us.

On RCL you can't wear shorts in the dining room ever at night and men's shirt can be polo style. On RCL they don't enforce formal nights and we just wear dress casual, as many do. Some were tuxes, some wear a nice Polo.

However, on Princess last year men needed a jacket but they had some to lend. My husband is a big guy and they gave him a small jacket. He told them, "I can't get into this!"

They told him, "You don't have to actually wear it - jsut toss it over your arm and when you sit down put it over your chair so you have one with you."

Rather silly but we played the game when they had lobster.

Our next cruise is Holland America and I have a feeling they will be stuffier about it. Will probably thow a jacket in the suitcase and black sneakers for Bill and something dressy for myself although I've worn a muumuu and him an Aloha shirt on formal night.

I wish they would do away with formal nights!

BlingQueenRia
Angel
BlingQueenRia

Yes! I remember! We had to read that book in seventh or eighth grade. I didn't particularly care for it, it was more of a boys' book.

mbrune04
Expert
mbrune04

• Henri Jean Said:
We are in Columbia South Carolina tonight.

It was a nice day - glad its almost over though and we are in our motel!

I live about an hour from Columbia (In Florence)

mbrune04
Expert
mbrune04
In response to mbrune04

2011 has struck again. A friend of mine and her family was driving home from Columbia (an hour west of where we live) last night and the back tire of the car blew out. It caused their car to flip several times. The dad had a mild concussion, the mom had only seatbelt burns/injuries, the 2 youngest children are fine but the wreck claimed the life of thier 9 year old little girl. Savannah was her name and she was the sweetest child. She recieved Christ as her Saviour last year so she is Home with Jesus but it still breaks all the hearts that were left behind and tied in some way to her. I'm serious when I say I hate 2011. I'm so scared of what 2011 is going to have in store next. I pray HARD that my family is protected. Ladies, we all lead busy lives but can I just say to stop and play with your kids today? I know I am. I have such a habit of sending the kids off to go do something in their toy room or watch TV so i can get stuff done. Then something like this happens and puts everything in perspective for you. The tears have not stopped since I heard. Please pray for this family.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to mbrune04

I will pray for this family. How tragic! I just read your note to my husband.

It is time for 2011 to have good things happen for you, and they will. Every year has wonderful and good things and tragic and bad things. Some years may seem worse and some better, but God is in control and no year is jinxed.

The year I lost my dad a lot of tragic things happened to us that year, just seemed to bad and then the year got very good and things happened for me that were some of the best things that every happened in my life.

Just the thought of that terrible accident and the lost of the precious little girl just wants to make me cry. How sad.

But please don't think about what tragic thing is going to happen next. It sounds like you and those around are ready for the good things that 2011 will bring!

There is so much peace knowing the child is with our Heavenly Father. He is so awesome.

And He is as awesome in 2011 as He has been in the past and as awesome as He will be in the future!

Again, my condolences and prayers are going to you and the family of this child for peace.

mbrune04
Expert
mbrune04

• Henri Jean Said:
I will pray for this family. How tragic! I just read your note to my husband.

It is time for 2011 to have good things happen for you, and they will. Every year has wonderful and good things and tragic and bad things. Some years may seem worse and some better, but God is in control and no year is jinxed.

The year I lost my dad a lot of tragic things happened to us that year, just seemed to bad and then the year got very good and things happened for me that were some of the best things that every happened in my life.

Just the thought of that terrible accident and the lost of the precious little girl just wants to make me cry. How sad.

But please don't think about what tragic thing is going to happen next. It sounds like you and those around are ready for the good things that 2011 will bring!

There is so much peace knowing the child is with our Heavenly Father. He is so awesome.

And He is as awesome in 2011 as He has been in the past and as awesome as He will be in the future!

Again, my condolences and prayers are going to you and the family of this child for peace.

Thank you Henri Jean. God is good all the time. It is just so hard to see it sometimes.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

I see what you're saying about things falling apart without order. But I believe that as humans, we have an instinct for order and civilization--laws, etc. I don't think kids being stranded on an island would lose every desire for order. So that part I think is done with too heavy a hand. I will ask students if they think it is believeable. "Instinct" is a big theme in the book--savage vs. civilized. We could have some good discussions!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

I agree with you, Henri Jean: God is in control and no year is "jinxed." Superstition only causes fear. I, too, will pray for this family!

Edited by jaspernonyx on 06-20-11 10:24 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Page 2 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics