Page 3 of 6 
Username Post: VCW Week #224 - Making NEW friends and Renewing the old!        (Topic#1559979)
jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to Henri Jean

Henri Jean, I agree that LORD OF THE FLIES deals with leadership--it would be a good discussion if I could get students to analyze what makes a good leader. Stuff like this is what I meant when I said I could teach the book, even though I don't really like it. I could bring up themes that can yield good discussion: loss of innocence (again, I think it's overdone), leadership, instinct, individual vs. group identity, etc.

My very favorite book is THE ODYSSEY. Followed closely by anything from Steinbeck. It's OK for an English major to not like something--in fact, it's one of my biggest peeves when English majors pretend to love everything they read, as if that's a rule!

I will stop talking about this!

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie
In response to jaspernonyx

Hey ladies.
Big day today. TWO of my very close friends found out they're pregnant. One wasn't trying too long but the other was en route to In Vitro! It's a true miracle!!!

I had another friend over today just to hang out. The kids had fun.

William is into a big boy bed for about a week now. Last night he rolled OUT of bed... and continued sleeping lol.

That's about it for me. Doing laundry...

I loved Lord of teh FLies in school. I even watched the movie for the second time, just the other day!

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to bcblondie

Hello ladies how is all. I know i pop in and out but things are going well. I had to get two teeth pulled today so i am some pain but i am deal with that.

babigirl
Governor
babigirl
In response to leebla

• leebla Said:
YAY! It's Friday!

Hubby is taking all of next week off and we are splitting it up between
-hanging at the camper and lake
-taking a short bike trip to southern Ohio
-and winding up (hopefully) in Conneaut Lake, PA for a classic boat show

I say hopefully because he only just uncovered our boat 2 nights ago and we still have to get it all swelled up so it doesn't take on water and make sure it's running. Which we will do this week at the lake most likely.

It should be nice. And I need the uplifting of just a free week of no cleaning, no working around the house, no hassles. I let hubby know yesterday just how bad all this hassle with my former employer is getting to me and he decided I needed a time out...I think. LOL

Sounds fun like lots of fun

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I don't think kids would take it to the extent of killing. I really don't believe that. And I think that most humans have an instinct for law and order and organization and doing what is right.

But I think there are people or groups in our society that could get out of control. I remember a movie, Escape from New York, which reminded me of the book. I coulnd't not sit through that movie!

Most people would never give into that kind of savagery, but there are gangs and criminals, that given no organized structure and enforcement of laws, they would behave as animals.

The book wasn't believable, but it was an illustration for me. I think most people want order and will follow it no matter what the circumstances. But that is what we know.

There are societies that used to practice cannabilism and I think it does still go on in remote areas.

It did play on my conscious and make me aware, even if the illustration was exhaggerated.

But I think we are brought up in civilized societies and that is what we know and stay with. But I do think savage societies exist, even though very limited and not in a civilized part of the world.

Although gangs and gang activity, given absense of laws could very easily stoop to this level. I think the book really made me never want to be involved in a gang, although I don't think I would have anyway! Just not the way I was brought up!

The book kind of gave me a childlike respect for cops and other authorities. I already respected them, but that reinforced it.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Just read your note at the top of the page. Our teacher taught it as you referenced and brought out some of the best discussion I've ever had in a lit class.

I also enjoyed the Illiad and the Odessey. I don't remember too much of them though.

When I was in Italy, either Naples or Rome, don't remember which there was a statue of the siren and I researched it and learned the story again. I really enjoyed that!

In fact I scrapped the story and her name is a complete blank for me now. Was it Loralei?

She is the one who used to sing and cause sailors to crash into the rocks and die or keep them captive until the died of starvation!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Here is what I was looking for - its the journaling from one of my Naples layouts:

This episode of Greek Mythology actually happened in the waters on the Amalfi side of the Sorrentine pensinsula which was named for one of the Sirens that tempted Ulysses (from Homer’s Odyssey).

The Sirens were beautiful half fish half women who lived on the rocks in the sea. They were the daughters of Phorcys and Ceto and sang so beautifully that any man who heard them was compelled to jump off his ship and swim to them. Unfortunately, most of them died in the rough waters and those who survived the waters perished of hunger because they could never move from the Sirens.

One of the Sirens, Parthenope, threw herself into the sea out of despair over what she believed to be her lack of allure because she could not seduce Ulysses with her voice. She did not know that the men of Odysseus were saved by Odysseus filling their ears with wax and binding himself to the mast so he couldn’t go to them when they sang.

Her body washed up on the coast a few miles away at the spot where mythology says the city of Neapolis (Naples) was founded. Actually, it was the city of Parthenope, which then became Neapolis. Many modern Neapolitans still refer to themselves commonly as Parthenopeans.

mbrune04
Expert
mbrune04

3 new things I've added to the gallery lately,

Teacher Phototray By Mbrune04

Notebook By Mbrune04

Mother and Daughter By Mbrune04

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee

Misty - I'm so sorry to hear about your friend's daughter.

I love the "Illiad" and the "Odyssey" too. I also really enjoyed "Beowulf". I know we went over the "Lord of the Flies", but I only remember bits and pieces. I'm an English major, but I'm not studying to be a teacher so I haven't had to read many of the high school books since high school. I did re-read "The Giver" and "1984" recently though, I've always loved those books.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to DesiLee

I veguely remember reading Beowulf but I don't remember what it was about.

There are times when I would really love to go back to school. I should do it but I don't think I can sit in those hard chairs for hours and hours. A friend of my husband's went back for law school and the hard chairs bothered his back so much that he had to drop out after a few weeks.

I love the pages that have the sleeves for pictures. I never would have thought about doing each of the six frames like mini pages. How cool. I may "borrow" that idea1

Love the mother and daughter page too. Just beautiful!

DesiLee
Idol
DesiLee

If you like the "Illiad" and the "Odyssey" you'd probably like "Beowulf". It's an epic poem, and it's much shorter than the other two. http://www.alcyone.com/max/lit/beowulf/ you can find it at this website. They have it separated into shorter sections.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx
In response to DesiLee

I read Beowulf several years ago. Maybe I should read it again, since epic poetry is one of my research interests (I was trained in Classics along with English). I like to read books and material that others call "epic." T.S. Eliot's Wasteland, which just about every professor introduces as "epic" is just a conglomeration of elements of epic forced onto a bad poem! And I entertain myself wondering if we could ever have an American epic--I know alot of people are trying (again, I think Eliot failed). I have decided that we can't have an American epic b/c we do not have the gods. Not only do the gods DO THINGS in epic, they lend the work the whole "divine/human" aura.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

I think you are right about that. You need a lot of mythology to pull those things off.

Greek Mythology, Roman Mythology, even Mythology for the Hawaiian Islands and other islands in the South Pacific. But American Mythology? We can't qualifiy that one.

bcblondie
Idol
bcblondie

Hey ladies.
I think William has chicken pox.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

Hi, Henri Jean--

I remember somewhere you were talking about your adventures in card-making; you said you came home crying. I make cards, but they are very simple. I love to recycle old greeting cards--a design here, a sentiment there. My cards are front-only. But people can write on the back (if it's a dark card, I will put some white paper on the back). My cards are just like the long ones that people send out for holidays. I don't care what anyone says: that's my style, I have a blast making the cards, and my friends and family love to get cards from me. That's what it's all about to me. These cards here may not last forever; I am planning a trip to a place called Archivers to get a ph pen for 1.29. Then I won't have to worry about my greeting-card parts deteriorating. My cards are different--oh well! I guess I'm trying to say express yourself and have fun, and don't let anyone tell you that the only way to make cards is to stamp! I know my digital pictures are bad!
let freedom ring By Jaspernonyx

Edited by jaspernonyx on 06-21-11 12:43 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

may the beauty of the season fill your heart with peace By Jaspernonyx

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

peace/season's greetings By Jaspernonyx

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

may the light of peace and the joy of love be with you always By Jaspernonyx

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Those cards look like something I might be able to handle- very nice. But I just don't enjoy making cards.

To me cardmarking has become such an art is more of a competition and I just don't enjoy it. I stick to scrapbooking, which I really enjoy.
Yours are beautiful though and if I ever decide to make a card, that is a style I would enjoy. Especially the bottom one!

jaspernonyx
Pro
jaspernonyx

Yeah, things like that are supposed to be fun. If it's not fun, what's the point? I fear too many scrappers and cardmakers are turning out beautiful stuff out of a compulsion for perfection--they may not be having fun. I am reminded of playing darts with my brother. I was having fun while I was losing, and when I complimented him for his playing, he said, "yea, but it's not fun for me." I don't want that to ever happen to me. I must confess, when I first came to this website, I felt so overwhelmed by what others can do. I thought I'd never "measure up." That kind of limited my creative output. But then I was inspired again to work with white (which I had never done), to use different colors from my norm, and to scrap "outside the box." Each page of my 1980s book is experimental--doing things I've never done, in ways I never thought I would, jamming 2 or more ideas on one page (instead of just going "title one," "title two," etc, writing out dates (I get bored writing dates in the same ways--but there's not many options for writing dates), and trying to get away from my ideas of proportion (which is OK sometimes, but I need to play with proportion, instead of just having symetry all the time--my ideas of proportion come from graduate study of ancient Greek sculptors, famous for their proportion). I am experimenting and having a blast doing it. My pages are simple, but they reflect alot of work (and experimentation).

Page 3 of 6 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics