Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: organizing pattern paper        (Topic#1560231)
AliMscraps
Idol
AliMscraps

Ok I have a huge stack of pattern paper. I know I need to buy or make some kind of shelving unit or sorter for them but how you decide what papers go where and with what. colors? types of pattern? HELP!!

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to AliMscraps

It kind of is a personal preference. one person's way might not work for another. Personally I have my pps sorted by themes,(vintage/shabby chic, seasonal with any holidays associated with them, and neutrals) stored in stacking drawers from Walmart.

But I know other people like sorting by brand and then by collection within each brand, some store them in cropper hoppers. I've seen others sorted by color. So there are really a lot of different ways you could do it. I just did trial and error to find the way that works best for me.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel

I am in the same boat. I have a huge stack that I flip thru when I'm in my "zone". I need a better way of organizing it, I just don't know where to start!

It's frustrating because I usually find that PERFECT piece after my project is finished.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to MrsAnnieS

Here's mine - in the description it describes some of the categories because they may be hard to read in photo:

Patterned Paper Bins By Henri Jean

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease
In response to MrsAnnieS

What Annie said!

I used to store mine by themes, but I don't really purchase many themed papers so that did not work for me. I have mine sorted by manufacturer, then collection. All of my paper is in the Cropper Hopper file thingies on the bottom shelves:
Close up of Jetmax By Siameseplease

I still haven't labeled them, but I'll get to it eventually. I do have Christmas papers all together, regardless of manufacturer. Otherwise, they're sorted into categories like: American Crafts, Basic Grey, Graphic 45, Webster's Pages, etc. The files are in alphabetical order by manufacturer, which is why I haven't really needed to label them yet. I can still find them all at this point.

kirkkevinsmom
Diva
kirkkevinsmom
In response to siameseplease

I try to sort mine by theme and it doesn't really have a theme I go by color. I also bought those sorting towers from Walmart and then I label them on the outside.

Expert
In response to siameseplease

Definitely a personal choice--I keep all of my single pieces of PP organized first by with the extra strip and without; and then according to color (ROYGBIV in my hanging folders). I kept missing papers that didn't have the strip when I was thumbing through because something was caught between two with the strips. Now I mostly buy pack of paper (Basic Grey, Echo Park etc.) so I keep the packs together, and all of the packs in a hanging folder box.

Ycats
Ycats 
Expert
Ycats
  • Ycats on 06-23-11 05:50 AM
In response to HuskerMom98

I need to do this so bad...I got a box of 12x12 paper that has no organization at all, then a few by my desk. then in a drawer I have all kinds of mix matched papers and scraps just all thrown together... I want to sort it out paper vs card stock then by colour... just gotta do it!

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Ycats

I really want to buy some more of these containers and put the misc. ones by color - the misc. ones are dots and stripes and patterns. Next time I buy a stack of these they will be labelled red, blue, etc.

I constantly use themed ones and I like being able to get to them quickly.

mjmone
mjmone 
Idol
mjmone
In response to Henri Jean

the best advice I've heard is to scrap a page...and note to yourself how you think while scrapping.

do you think, I need pink...store by color
if you think, I need baby girl...store by theme
if you think, I need basic grey...store by manuf

I have Cropper Hoppers and some shelving...I have most of mine stored by manuf with collections together. The Basic Greys, Sassafrass, Stampin' Up, Websters Pages, Fancy Pants... BUT those that are not one of the 'name' manufacturers are by theme.

I also use wood closet shelves...the lower ones, turned upside down, and store my paper stacks underneath the cropper hoppers.

tiely99
Expert
tiely99

I store mine in Cropper Hoppers, divided by labeled filing dividers by pattern. That is, plaids, stripes, holidays, flowers, boys, girls, etc. Works great.

AllAmy
AllAmy 
Angel
AllAmy
In response to tiely99

I'm a themey scrapper, so I store by themes in 12x12 stacking racks from Target.

Themes I use:
Baby
Boy- Soft and sweet
Boy- Vibrant Fun
Boy- Dirty
Girl- Hot Pinks
Girl- soft and sweet
Family- browns and warm
Family- Heritage
Adult- colorful
Adult
Camping
Beach
Christmas
Thanksgiving
Other Holidays

Then more specific themes I store in an album divided with page protecters holding the papers and embellies:
Boy themes (fireman, cowboy, candy)

That's what works for me.

meezerpleaser
Diva
meezerpleaser
In response to AllAmy

I store mine by pattern (dots, stripes, floral, etc.) and theme (Christmas, birthday, cats, etc.) in a four of these Doodlebug organizer things. And I have so many cat papers, they're in their own cropper hopper. My cardstock is also in 4 cropper hoppers.

But it's true that it's a personal preference - you may sort it one way now and realize that you scrap in a different way. No rule says you can't change horses in midstream!

Products Referenced in This Post:

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to meezerpleaser

For me: I scrap by color except for seasonal stuff. So seasons are in plastic bins marked : Christmas, Halloween, etc.
My other exception is star wars paper and John Deere paper and paper such as these for my kids- they are labeled like the seasonal ones higher on the shelf since I don't use them all the time.
But my main filing is by color and within that color (crop hopper holder) I have a divider that separates colored pattern paper. For example:

1 crop hopper is labeled orange
within that holder is a divider and it say patterned and will hold orange patterened paper.

Sometimes I have a whole holder for colored patterned such as black and white patterned...I have a lot of it so it gets its own holder just like the other colors.

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi
In response to binkiemonstermom

Mine are sorted by mfr. Then if I have enough by collection. Mine are also in the vert. cropper hoppers. I also have a section where it is a mish mash of mfr because I don't have enough of that particular one. Then those are sorted by theme. But it really is a personal choice.

x98peterson
Tenant
x98peterson
In response to momma paparazzi

I have some by color, some by theme, and some by manufacturer. I used to pull apart all my DC paper packs, but now I just leave them together, then I can find coordinating pages easier. I use cropper hoppers and the wire racks you can get at office depot. I also have the wire paper racks that stand on the floor that the stores use. HTH!

binkiemonstermom
Idol
binkiemonstermom
In response to x98peterson

Oh and I did forget that i have one crop hopper with just Basic Grey in it since it is my favorite paper and I think the colors are so unique and work so well together, I keep them together!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to binkiemonstermom

So you can tell, it's all personal preference. I have two Cropper Hopper hanging file carts. The first one contains Patterned Paper by color - what is the pimary color I see when I look at that sheet. In addition, there is a folder for "pastel pattern", "primary pattern", and "neutral pattern" because some contained several colors in about the same amount. The second is for papers filed by theme. If a paper is defiitely for boys, it goes into that folder; girls; Christmas; Fall; winter; Summer. The Fall one contains halloween and thanksgiving as well as I don't have a lot of those; summer contains 4th of July, etc.

Sneezy1956
Guru
Sneezy1956
In response to dwelch

Mine like many other are manufacture it's how you personally scrap. I don't think I want pink paper I think ohhhh bg would look good with this or maybe some graphic 45

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Sneezy1956

I like the breakdown of pastel pattern, primry pattern, andneutral pattern!

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics