Username Post: Using paint dabbers on stamps...        (Topic#1560261)
Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic

I have those Adirondack acrylic paint dabbers and I tried applying those to my stamps last night but it didn't work so well. When I stamped my image, not even half of the ink went on the paper. This should work, right? Or is it not meant for rubber stamps?

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Scrapsaholic

I don't have these, but I would guess it would work.

Maybe part of the paint had dried before you were able to stamp?

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to Bxr-Linda

I thought I was doing it super fast. Maybe I'll try again and see how it does.

Obi
Obi 
Mayor
Obi
  • Obi on 06-23-11 02:23 PM

I use acyrlic paint on stamps all the time and the stamp needs to be spotlessly clean to get an even coverage and it does dry quicker than stamping ink.

The acyrlic also ages the stamp quicker.

I still think it's worth the look though.

MrsAnnieS
Mayor
MrsAnnieS
In response to Obi

I also use paint dabbers on my stamps all the time, not only do they need to be clean but I always find that it seems to need a lot more pressure across the entire stamp to get an even application, otherwise you don't get the entire image.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to MrsAnnieS

I was using 2 different colors. Green on the top half of the stamp and blue on the bottom. Maybe by the time I was done and ready to stamp down, it was too late.

Also, I think I was "dragging" the ink across instead of "dabbing". DUH, why else would they call it a dabber?? LOL!

momma paparazzi
Diva
momma paparazzi

I have used those at Archiver's on stamps when they have their free make n take weekends. I don't own any of the paints though. Yes, dab it. It should work better. Annie is right, it takes alittle more pressure too.

RedSquirrel
Diva
RedSquirrel

Acrylic paint does dry VERY quickly. I don't know what these dabber things are like, but when I stamp with acrylic paint I find it helps if I have a nice lot on the stamp. A thin layer just doesn't work.

MommaSaid
Mayor
MommaSaid
In response to RedSquirrel

I've done it a dozen times. It works pretty well for me; but I like to make sure there's "enough" paint on the stamp first. Perhaps you need to dab on more?

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to MommaSaid

I also learned to do that at Archivers. I especially like using the white dauber on dark paper because it gives a really thick opaque look - much nicer than any white ink pad I've used. Same advice as the others above.

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to dwelch

Thanks girls! What I ended up doing the other night was just taking the dabber and sliding it across my paper a few times, just to give it a "painted" look. Then I stamped the image in black ink on top of the paint. Turned out pretty cool. I love how fast the paint dries on paper.

Her Royal Awesomeness
Diva
Her Royal Awesomeness

You can also ink distress ink over the entire acrylic painted image and wipe it off. The ink stays around the image, and makes it totally pop.

godschild94
Governor
godschild94
In response to Her Royal Awesomeness

Yes you can. I work at Archiver's and right now we have a class running all about rubber stamping with acryllic paint. I teach the clas and these are the tips I have shared with my students::

Dab in an up and down motion to get the best amount of paint. I like to "prime" my nozzle before I use it by tapping the dauber top down onto a piece of scrap paper or your craft sheet a few times to get the paint going. And don't be afraid to really hit it, you want a nice circle of paint flowing before you ink up your stamp.

It does take more pressure than your normal stamp. Also make sure you go straight down and come straight back up...do not rock or shift the stamp or it will be blurry.

I find that stamps with larger images/words look the best...it tends to smudge smaller stamps a lot easier.

Also for clean-up, make sure you clean 'em right away. I use water and an old toothbrush to scrub 'em and then set them out to dry. If you don't clean them right away, the paint dries on there and it is a pain to get off!

Also the quality of your stamped image might depend on the paper you are using. If you are using textured cardstock (like Bazzill), the paint may not go into the crevices. To solve this, simply flip your paper to the back..same color, no texture.

Hope these tips help. This has quickly become one of my favorite techniques!
Products Referenced in This Post:

Scrapsaholic
Mayor
Scrapsaholic
In response to godschild94

Thanks so much for that Janeen!!

godschild94
Governor
godschild94

You're welcome!

Permissions Topic Options