Username Post: New here need some sadvice on starting out!(PLEASE)!        (Topic#1560837)
Scraping_newbie
New Kid On the Block
Scraping_newbie

I am new to this I have purchased paper.But no scrapbook.I wanted something cheap to start out with I don't even think I want a scrapbook
I think I will go for?
photo album 3 ring binder.Sold color so I can add some glitter glue and some stick on tattoos.

I think I will also take all of my cereal bags out of the boxes and use the cardboard.And cut it to fit inside the album and glue the card stock to the cardboard.

I have also decided to make a movie based scrapbook I am a big fan of action movies mostly "Jason Statham","Jet Li" and so on I would like to make a scrapbook based on there movie and them.

Like for instance do (2) pieces of cardstock one on each side of the cereal box and on the front side do a picture of the actor maybe in the center and a few icon size pictures of my favorite movie covers glues around on the paper.And then on the other side of the cereal box do information from different movie sites.

Such as something like "Jason statham" movie Titled:The mechanic(Released-01/28/2 011)Box office:$29,113,588

(EXAMPLE>I enjoyed think movie because he always packs so much action into all of his movies ("AND SO ON!")

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Scraping_newbie

Good luck with your scrapbook but I'm not understanding why you want to glue the cardstock onto cardboard.

We just make pages on the cardstock or patterned pages and slip them in to the scrapbook page sleeve. We can change the order of them if we want to because they are not glued to another layout.

If you want to glue your cardstock to cardboard, I guess it would work but I can't image why you would want to.

Also, if you want your scrapbook to last a long time its best to look for acid free-lignen free products. Since the cardboard from cereal boxesis probably not acid-lignen free it will not hold up well.

The cardstock is made to last - it is acid-lignen free.

If you would like to look in my gallery I've been working on a section of celebrities whose stars I saw on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Something like that could work for you.

I also did biographies on the stars which might give you some ideas.

Anyway - good luck with your project.

Scraping_newbie
New Kid On the Block
Scraping_newbie
In response to Henri Jean

I didn't know how strong cardstock actually was because my first time buying it the book with the pages had a piece of tape on both sides.So all I could do in the store was flip through the corners to see the paper but I was not actually able to feel the strength of the paper I thought it was just normal paper like printer paper but with designs.

boy was I mistaken its really actually a nice thick paper.

That is why I though I would need to glue it to cereal box to thicken it up to make the pages.

(>By the way will a 3 ring binder solid color or designed binder work for a scrapbook.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

You can use any kind of binder you want. Many use post binders. I personally use a 12x12 3 ring binder, as many here do.

Some make 8x8 book. Any size is fine. It how you want to archive your pictures and memories.

If you have an Archivers near you they have a introductin to scrabook class - its free and you get a little hands on training just to give you ideas of what is out there and how it works. They give you scrap cardstock and you get to make some die-cuts to keep. That might be a good idea for you if you are near an Archivers.

If you have other scrapbook stores you can see if they have any beginning classes.

I took one and it really helped! I didn't know what I was doing - I walked into Michaels or Joannes and it was just confusion at all the stuff. Once I took the beginning class one night, then I was confident to start working pages.

Scraping_newbie
New Kid On the Block
Scraping_newbie
In response to Henri Jean

I had recently purchased a used scrapbooking kit from my local goodwill and it had a scrapbooking album in it and the glue and scissors for cutting edges and some glue on letters and words there is enough stuff to make 20 or more pages.Purchased for only 1.50 because on sale.

s_healy1110
Resident
s_healy1110

If you are wanting to make a 'chipboard' album. You could use cereal boxes. If you are wondering what they are either search this site or Google it. But they aren't in an album. You hold them together with rings or even ribbon. You can also make albums out of paper bags. They look really cool.

Jennifer Priest
Governor
Jennifer Priest

Sounds like you want to make a mini book You'll need a binding tool like a Bind It All OR you can do it with binder rings and a hole punch if you are on a tight budget. The Bind It All is about $50-60 and they have a fabulous blog and website with tons of resources for you -- I am on their design team

For ideas, you don't have to take a class. You can find almost anything on YouTube for free if you can spend the time to look. Also, go to the websites for manufacturers and check out their galleries, videos, and blogs and go to the blogs of their design team members. You can find alot of tutorials and videos that way.

Yes, I do teach classes There are online classes at sites like mycreativeclassroom.com where you can take beginning to advanced scrapbooking classes if you do not have a local store or the schedule to take in -person classes.

Also, I would not use cereal boxes because they are flimsy. Invest in some chipboard. You can get it here or you can get it at etsy or you can get it from a paper supply store. hth!!!!
Products Referenced in This Post:

tegan-nicole
Veteran
tegan-nicole
In response to Jennifer Priest

i made my first couple scrapbooks using 8.5x11 inch paper and page protectors left over from school supplies and a binder also purchased on sale. Now is a good time to stock up if you think you want to stick with that size with back to school sales going on everywhere. I think it's a great way to start and i think it's quite a bit cheaper. Less paper space, less supplies. You can also stock up on little embellishments like brads, paper clips, binder clips, etc. Even date stamps stuff like that.

kariyava
Pro
kariyava
In response to tegan-nicole

If you buy page protectors (I have linked to a couple because I am not sure what size you want) you can slip two pages into each protector (back to back) and the combination of the two layouts in a protective sleeve makes it sturdy and protected so you don't have to worry about getting cardboard.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics