Username Post: Fabric Penant Banner for Baby's Room        (Topic#1560905)
Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen

Hello ladies,

Let me start by saying I am NOT a quilter, sew-er or fabric crafter other than a scrapbooker so please be bare with me!

I am having my first baby - a boy and I saw on a decorating show (can't remember which one) they made a fabric penant banner to hang as decoration in the room.

So, I have purchased the fabrics and some iron-on stuff to make the fabric stiff. But I was wondering if anyone has seen what I'm talking about or has made something similar that could send me photos or advice. On the show they used mostly iron-on sticky stuff to adhere the fabric together but I do have a sewing machine and have made curtains and pillows so I can do a *little* sewing if need be. I searched google and found lots of banners but they were all extrememly simple-I was wanting to "scrapbook" it up a bit and layer it and use buttons and letters and whatnot.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated and TIA!!

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 07-05-11 08:09 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 07-05-11 08:09 AM
In response to Scrapbook Queen

Are you talking about the long triangle penants like for sports teams? Those are made from felt (usually).

Somewhere, I have seen poofy ones made from fabric and batting. Is that what you want?

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 07-05-11 08:13 AM
In response to Tivi

Or are you asking about one like this:

http://www.diaryofaquilter.com/2011/01/red-and-white -pe...

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Tivi

This is what I want to do but in fabric!

Paper sample of fabric penant banner By Scrapbook Queen

Any help/advice/thoughts you can think to pass on, please do so!

Tivi
Tivi 
Diva
Tivi
  • Tivi on 07-05-11 11:19 AM

So you want a string of those?

Make the triangle pattern out of cardboard (like a cereal box). Start with the bottom measuring about half the length of the 2 sides, and adjust the sizing until you like it. If you are a numbers person, or a bit OCD, figure out how long you need it to be, then divide to get the bottom measurement of the triangle. (if you need it to be 60 inches long, you could make 20 triangles with a bottom width of 3 inches)

I assume the "iron on stuff" is interfacing.

Use a pen or pencil to draw around the pattern onto your fabrics. (it would be easier to iron on the interfacing first, you will waste some interface but it will be much quicker).

If you have a rotary cutter, straight edge, and mat, use those to cut the triangles. Otherwise use sharp scissors.

You can use wide bias tape to string them together. Open the tape, put the triangle on the bottom, then refold/close the tape and pin. Put all the triangles in/on the tape, then stitch thru all layers.

You can decorate the bias tape and triangles with rick-rack, buttons, glitter, bling, whatever. You could also cut your baby's name out of contrasting fabric and put the letters on the triangles.

Have fun!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Tivi

Thanks!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty

I've made them with canvas. They're a lot of fun! Here's a small one I made for my dd's room.
Name Banner By Here Kitty

Edited by Here Kitty on 07-24-11 05:05 PM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Here Kitty

• Here Kitty Said:
I've made them with canvas. They're a lot of fun! Here's a small one I made for my dd's room.
Name Banner By Here Kitty

Very cool!

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen

Here's what mine ended up looking like:

Banner Close Up By Scrapbook Queen

Banner By Scrapbook Queen

I used iron-on thick background to make it sturdy, used pinking shears to get a decorative edge, cut the scallop border on a diecut machine and sew'd it all together with bais tape at the top for the string, added some diecut fabric flowers with brads. The letters didn't work out like I wanted so I just didn't use them. TFL!

Edited by Scrapbook Queen on 07-25-11 05:52 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore

Turned out cute! Did you sew it?

Scrapbook Queen
Mayor
Scrapbook Queen
In response to Seaexplore

• seaexplore Said:
Turned out cute! Did you sew it?

Yep, just the top though to keep it all together, the rest is loose.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics