Page 1 of 2 
Username Post: How do you do Titles?        (Topic#1561157)
jmp09 
Tenant
  • jmp09 on 07-10-11 09:17 AM

My 2 options that I think are easier and require less time are:

pop-out Letters from Jo diff colors ($10)

or

using Stensils (tracing on cardstock and cutting).

Obviously the latter will take longer.

What do you do and what do you think looks better?

Do all of your pages have Titles?

thanks

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91
In response to jmp09

Good question - I've been struggling with a title on my current LO because I just don't know how to do them...do you buy letter stickers and do it that way? I guess I just don't know what my options are. For my last two LOs I didn't need to worry about it because one was a sticker (Hogwarts Express) and the other was printed on the paper (Hogwarts)...But for my 4th of July page, I wanted to have it done and didn't want to buy a $5 embellishment so I just freehanded the letters, traced the 4, and cut them out of cardstock/pp. *shrugs* I'm looking forward to hearing others' ideas!

Luvmyfam
Governor
Luvmyfam
In response to afitzgerald91

I use a variety of things/techniques to get my titles.

I will use letter stickers, rub-ons, premade title embellishments, stencils or my cricut. I will sometimes use Word on my computer, pick out a fun font, and then create and print my title on cardstock.

Most, but not all, of my layouts have titles.
Products Referenced in This Post:

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Luvmyfam

I use my cricut with Design Studio.

I also have the Fiskars shape cutter and the letter shapes.

kelseymel
Idol
kelseymel
In response to debby_westbrook

I use my Cricut most of the time. Stickers or computer (word) font sometimes.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to kelseymel

Sometimes my Cricut, if I'm at a crop I take my Slice and use that.

When I lived in Atlanta there was an Archivers scrapbook store near me and if you buy cardstock there, you can use their manual die cut machine for free and make all the letters you want. That is how all my early titles were done and they were some of the best!

Our Michaels has a Cricut and other machines set up with a nice variety of cartridges and if you go to a crop (very cheap - I think the one all day next Saturday is $5.00). I've heard some of the Michaels will help you use the machines even if you aren't at a crop as long as there is not a class going on in the room.

Before buying a Cricut or Slice, I strongly recommend trying one and seeing how you like it. Same with paper trimmers and other supplies. Go to Michaels or local scrapbook store and see how you like them before you buy.

The owner of my local scrapbook store let me use her Crop-O-Dile before I bought one and I used a Slice there for a month before I bought one.

I've tried a lot of paper trimmers there so I know that I like the Fiskers rotary blade the best.

Back to titles - I don't put one on every page if something clearly identifies the page, but I do like them a lot. Most of my pages have them.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Henri Jean

I use my big shot, sidekick, cricut (with SCAL), or print in reverse on cardstock and cut it out (so you can't see the printing from the computer) from word.

I don't like packs of letters like stickers and chipboard and rub-ons because they're limited in the letters you get and you've always got
leftovers and sometimes you can't match them to the page.

I LOVE welding letters and making shadows in SCAL to cut with my cricut.

madmatter
Diva
madmatter
In response to Seaexplore

I title almost every LO using a variety of techniques ...

thickers
Cricut fonts
stamps
pre-printed title tags
stickers
die cuts

I very often combine fonts and colors for more interest (or more likely because I've run out of a letter in a certain font)

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to madmatter

sometimes i use letter stickers && sometimes i use letter punch outs that you just glue on. lol but i needed to know the samee thing!

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91
In response to ellybug312

What's the best way to get letter die cuts? I don't have a cricut or anything like that...Nor can I afford one!

Also I love the idea of stamps but can't afford those either...I've seen like $15 stamps...for one design! I wouldn't use them THAT often, so alas, I am stampless. I'll have to stock up on stickers, I suppose.

jmp09 
Tenant
  • jmp09 on 07-11-11 07:30 AM

• afitzgerald91 Said:
What's the best way to get letter die cuts? I don't have a cricut or anything like that...Nor can I afford one!

I was wondering the same thing..! My concern is "size"... don't want the Titles too large!

Someone suggested - Michael's at their crop night.

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean

Go into an Archivers - they have the machines you can use for free (manual) ones if you buy a piece of cardstock.

Go to Michaels and they will help you use the electric cutters to make letters, most have Slice and a Cricut you can use if no classes are going on in that room but you need to ask for help.

Most local scrapbook stores have cuttlebugs or Big Shots or somehing they will help you use with manual die cuts, which most also have on hand.

debby_westbrook
Queen
debby_westbrook
In response to Henri Jean

Here is some examples of size and shape of the Fiskars shape cutter letters on 12x12 lo's..

Family By Debby_westbrook

Fall By Debby_westbrook

Summer Day By Debby_westbrook

RhondaR
Idol
RhondaR
In response to debby_westbrook

Before I had a die cutter I did what another posted suggested above...print the title out in reverse on the back side of my paper and cut it out by hand. I have done many many titles that way.
The options for doing titles are so varied--and have been mentioned alread...
die cutter
stickers
stamps
printed on the computer
chipboard

and 99% of my layouts do have a title--I think that's a personal preference.

afitzgerald91
Resident
afitzgerald91
In response to RhondaR

No Archivers up by me, but I will check out Michael's and see what they can do for me. Thanks!

Printing backwards on the reverse side of cardstock is a great idea...Now to get my printer back from my boyfriend...and some ink. Wait, will a 12X12 paper fit in my printer? Oh, jeez. Things I must look into...

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to RhondaR

What Jen said above!

I don't have a die cutting machine (and no desire to get one).

There are LOTS of ways to create titles:
stacks of diecut alphabets
I use rub-ons quite often.
Print on cardstock, transparency, or vellum
Label maker
alphabet brads
rubber / foam / acrylic stamps
chipboard
use the 'negative' portion of a letter as a stencil or mask
alphabet stickers

Check out the foam stamps in the paint section of the craft store. You can usually get an alphabet for around $5. You can make your own stamps, using pre-cut fun foam shapes and letters.

No - not all my pages have titles
What looks better? Depends on the page.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to Bxr-Linda

somtimes i by at walmart (bc i dont have a michaels or a scrapbooking store close by) i will by a set it has die cuts that match those colors, borders, sayings, and also on the back it comes with some LO ideas. it also comes with those cute word punchouts and photo corners.. sometiems i find those for like 10$ they are well worth the money exp. if it has a great variety of colors like the ones i find normally do.

ellybug312
Veteran
ellybug312
In response to Bxr-Linda

somtimes i buy at walmart (bc i dont have a michaels or a scrapbooking store close by) i will by a set it has die cuts that match those colors, borders, sayings, and also on the back it comes with some LO ideas. it also comes with those cute word punchouts and photo corners.. sometiems i find those for like 10$ they are well worth the money exp. if it has a great variety of colors like the ones i find normally do.

Tidbet
Tidbet 
Resident
Tidbet
In response to ellybug312

I think I use my cricut the most for titles now. I still use some sticker letters, but they are mainly leftovers from years past. But I have painted on titles before too.

Janel

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Katherine-Shelb ie-Elizab...

Henri Jean
Queen
Henri Jean
In response to Tidbet

One thing I have done a couple times is to take old photogrphs and make your letters out of extra photos. Especially if it is for the place or subject of the layout.

Example - I had a lot of extra photos of Seattle so this is how I did the title. You could cut the letters out the way several mentioned above:

Seattle By Henri Jean

The letter "L" is a little crooked but you get the idea.

Page 1 of 2 
Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics