Username Post: Embossing....Blunder!        (Topic#1561235)
New Kid On the Block

Hi all, I bought my first embossing powder and ink ()it was Tim Holtz ink pad, and Stampedous powder) and I tried using it and it definitely did not come out looking like it should, does anyone have a secret to this? Or is it really about putting the same brands together??? HELP!

scrap4brains
Queen
scrap4brains
In response to mamurphy123

Not the same brands but definitely need a special pad for the ink. It is thicker and takes longer to dry.
Products Referenced in This Post:

Edited by scrap4brains on 07-12-11 07:27 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

New Kid On the Block
In response to scrap4brains

Thank you! What about the heating part...I only have a blow dryer, Do I really need to buy a heating tool???

siameseplease
Angel
siameseplease

Most blow dryers don't get hot enough, IMO. So, yep, a heating tool.

ltlemermaid
Idol
ltlemermaid
In response to siameseplease

Yes you will need a heating tool--look for 40% off coupons and use them to get one

Also as stated before make sure its an embossing ink pad--it needs to stay wet longer in order for it to work.

KayMCee
Expert
KayMCee
In response to ltlemermaid

DON'T use a blow dryer unless you want the embossing powder flying around! Heat tool is the best... I use the one from Ranger and it works great! Use your coupons at M's or J's (will accept competitors' too!).
Have fun!!

Here Kitty
Mayor
Here Kitty
In response to ltlemermaid

Great advice from the ladies Here is another related thread if you want more info.
http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/15496...

Edited by Here Kitty on 07-12-11 10:56 AM. Reason for edit: No reason given.

Seaexplore
Governor
Seaexplore
In response to Here Kitty

I use the darice heat tool from J's. VERY affordable with a coupon.

AND you'll find TONS more uses for that tool! Shrink plastic, peeling stuff off after heating, removing price tags from heat proof stuff. yep, it's a multitasker.

Bxr-Linda
Mayor
Bxr-Linda
In response to Seaexplore

Heat embossing IS very simple. As mentioned, you CANNOT heat emboss with a hair dryer!

Here are several threads about heat embossing:

http://www.scrapbook.com/forums/dosearch.php

You may also try searching the videos here, for a tutorial.

CommaHolly
Angel
CommaHolly
In response to Bxr-Linda

you don't HAVE TO use embossing ink,,,,any slow drying ink will work,,,,,,I usually use pigment ink.

stamp your image
cover completely with a thick layer of embossing powder
pour off the excess onto a piece of paper or a tray and tap to make sure all the excess is off (you can pour the excess back into the jar)

Heat with a heat tool,,,,,,do not get too close,,,,,or stay in one section too long,,,,or you can actually burn it and it won't look shiny and pretty,,,,,move around in circles, OR heat from the BOTTOM.

when it looks shiny, move to a different area,,,,,that area is finished.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to CommaHolly

I've even used liquid adhesive to emboss. But a heat tool is a must!!

ncyankee
Queen
ncyankee
In response to Vallee

I just used liquid adhesives for the first time today -- worked great. Yes, a heat embossing tool is a must!

One tip I saw and works well when heat embossing thru pp or thin chipboard. Is to heat from behind -- that keeps the powder from flying and bubbling.

Vallee
Vallee 
Pro
Vallee
In response to ncyankee

• ncyankee Said:
I just used liquid adhesives for the first time today -- worked great. Yes, a heat embossing tool is a must!

One tip I saw and works well when heat embossing thru pp or thin chipboard. Is to heat from behind -- that keeps the powder from flying and bubbling.

I never thought about heating from behind...that's a fantastic idea!!!

andrea m
Mayor
andrea m
In response to Vallee

All tim holtz distress ink also works as embossing ink. I use it on everything. Tim even says this in alot of his tutorials. Like mentioned above the problem was the blow dryer. Once you get a heat tool you should not have a problem

Stephanie D
Guru
Stephanie D
In response to andrea m

also take a newborn sock and feel with corn starch, befor stamping or appling the powder tap area with sock and blow the exrta off. It will keep the embossing powed from sticking to area you dont what it to

LilacGal
Expert
LilacGal
In response to Stephanie D

• Stephanie D Said:
also take a newborn sock and feel with corn starch, befor stamping or appling the powder tap area with sock and blow the exrta off. It will keep the embossing powed from sticking to area you dont what it to

Really? That's all you have to do? Dang. Wish my daughter didn't just fall asleep. I'm stealing a sock when she wakes up tomorrow!

Christine19850
Veteran
Christine19850

I don't have a craft heat tool - I bought a paint stripper from my local hardware store. Ok so it's not pink but it packs a punch, was half the price and does an awesome job!

I tend to use the perfect medium that came with my perfect pearls or the versa mark embossing ink. I have not had ANY luck embossing with the regular distress inks. I mainly use embossing on letters & sentiments that I stamp so I like a crisp look.

I also find that some embossing powders are different consistencies. I like the Ranger superfine powder for doing my letters, and if I'm embossing chipboard or cutouts I just put a couple of coats on to give it a thicker layer.

I have also found that heating the card stock from underneath gives me the best finish.

Just keep playing around and find what works for you!

dwelch
dwelch 
Diva
dwelch
In response to Christine19850

I haven't done this, but a friend of mine does something similar to heating it from the back. She glued an aligator clip onto a cookie sheet, and clips her image on it before using the heat gun. She said it makes the cookie sheet hot so it heats from the back at the same time she's heating from the front.

Permissions Topic Options
Recent Topics